Pay Admits Time Running Out

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
As a Canterbury supporter I used to boast...
No mater how bad the politics is in rugby league, or how shocking the referees are, we are blessed to be following such a great club and entertaining team...I wish I could still say the same now !!!
As a whole our club is infested by politics and deceit.
So much so our motto... Club 1st Team 2nd Individual 3rd is a joke !!!
NOW it's...Individual 1st, Individual 2nd Individual 3rd and The club isn't even in the EQUATION.
And certain SO CALLED SUPPORTERS all they are interested in is finding excuses for failures of their FAVORED INDIVIDUALS .
Don't kid yourself politics and division along family lines isn't a new thing at the club. It's been going on for years.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea how some people still justify giving pay an extension, what the actual fuck
Who is a realistic chance of replacing him next season if he doesn’t get an extension ?

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
haha i love it.. Bulldogs lose and its "not pays fault", "Bad squad", "nothing to do with the coaching" blah blah blah
We win a couple of meaningless games and its "Pay is the man", "Resign him"

People can twist things and come up with all the excuses they want but the fact of the matter is:

- A coaches job is to train, prepare and improve players.
- Players are responsible for what happens on the field but the coach is accountable.

From my observations:

- The team haven't improved.
- Not one player has improved in the last 3 years. Quite the opposite, some have just turned to dog shit
- We havent been able to attract a high profile player. Thompson is untested in NRL so I dont count that. He could come here and end up playing like shit ala Sam Tompkins.
- Constantly playing the wrong players in the wrong positions
- His use of the bench is garbage
- Shit or non existent structures
- We only seem to be able to play close to our best every 7 - 10 games. This to me says he cant get the players up for it on game day. Its one thing for people to use the shit squad excuse, however if that shit squad very rarely even play to their ability then having a good squad playing shit isnt really going to help now is it?
- Losing has become a habit

Also people need to stop using the Dib excuse. He has been gone for what 2 - 3 years. Yeah he left the place in shit however it is up to the people coming in to fix it, thats why they were hired.

For example, I started a new job 5 months ago where the people before me left the place a mess. My role is to identify the issues and fix / improve it, its now my responsibility. Do you think in 2 years time, hell even 6 months time, if my boss asked why a particular issue is occurring I can turn around and blame the last guy? Hell no, the response would be, well why haven't you addressed it and what are you doing to fix it?

Its semi heartbreaking for me as Pay was one of my favourite players when I was a young lad and he seems like a good guy. I have nothing against him personally. He just seems out of his depth and has no answers.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
haha i love it.. Bulldogs lose and its "not pays fault", "Bad squad", "nothing to do with the coaching" blah blah blah
We win a couple of meaningless games and its "Pay is the man", "Resign him"

People can twist things and come up with all the excuses they want but the fact of the matter is:

- A coaches job is to train, prepare and improve players.
- Players are responsible for what happens on the field but the coach is accountable.

From my observations:

- The team haven't improved.
- Not one player has improved in the last 3 years. Quite the opposite, some have just turned to dog shit
- We havent been able to attract a high profile player. Thompson is untested in NRL so I dont count that. He could come here and end up playing like shit ala Sam Tompkins.
- Constantly playing the wrong players in the wrong positions
- His use of the bench is garbage
- Shit or non existent structures
- We only seem to be able to play close to our best every 7 - 10 games. This to me says he cant get the players up for it on game day. Its one thing for people to use the shit squad excuse, however if that shit squad very rarely even play to their ability then having a good squad playing shit isnt really going to help now is it?
- Losing has become a habit

Also people need to stop using the Dib excuse. He has been gone for what 2 - 3 years. Yeah he left the place in shit however it is up to the people coming in to fix it, thats why they were hired.

For example, I started a new job 5 months ago where the people before me left the place a mess. My role is to identify the issues and fix / improve it, its now my responsibility. Do you think in 2 years time, hell even 6 months time, if my boss asked why a particular issue is occurring I can turn around and blame the last guy? Hell no, the response would be, well why haven't you addressed it and what are you doing to fix it?

Its semi heartbreaking for me as Pay was one of my favourite players when I was a young lad and he seems like a good guy. I have nothing against him personally. He just seems out of his depth and has no answers.
Again we've been multiple millions under the salary cap due to Dib and Castle so it has to be brought up. Our best and most expensive player is also missing at least 1/3 of the time. Our roster is bottom four on paper. Pay isn't perfect but he's done as much as I could of asked of him and imo has overachieved (for e.g. this year we're expected to finish second last, if we finish above that we've overachieved...). Pay is a rebuild coach and we're going to have a competitive roster next year after we've signed three to four more quality signings. If Pay fails with that, just like Brown at Knights, he'll be given the flick. Also by the players actions on the field Pay hasn't lost the dressing room. I hate to say it but the only wins we're expected to be getting during a season is against the Warriors and Titans. Pay isn't a top coach but the biggest issue is the roster we have (which is the first reason why we don't have a top coach...).

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We only seem to be able to play close to our best every 7 - 10 games. This to me says he cant get the players up for it on game day.
These wins have a huge asterisk next to them as well as most of these games happen when the team is well out of contention .

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Again we've been multiple millions under the salary cap due to Dib and Castle so it has to be brought up. Our best and most expensive player is also missing at least 1/3 of the time. Our roster is bottom four on paper. Pay isn't perfect but he's done as much as I could of asked of him and imo has overachieved. Pay is a rebuild coach and we're going to have a competitive roster next year after we've signed three to four more quality signings. If Pay fails like that, just like Brown at Knights, he'll be given the flick. Also by the players actions on the field Pay hasn't lost the dressing room.
LOL... At least argue my points if you are going to quote me, and not spew the same diatribe you have the whole thread.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
LOL... At least argue my points if you are going to quote me, and not spew the same diatribe you have the whole thread.
Your points are stupid. You just forget about the reason why we're in this mess. Also your IQ for the game is low so how do you know we have "shit or non existent structures"... that's dribble. Some of our shit players have played well at times. How hasn't Meaney improved as a player?

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Your points are stupid. You just forgot about the reason why we're in this mess.
hahaha, more like you cant argue them so you will just keep trotting out the same rubbish over and over. Hey, maybe if you say it enough and wish on a star it may make it true.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
hahaha, more like you cant argue them so you will just keep trotting out the same rubbish over and over. Hey, maybe if you say it enough and wish on a star it may make it true.
"We only seem to be able to play close to our best every 7 - 10 games." That's an over achievement. We should only be getting two to four wins a season with our roster.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
"We only seem to be able to play close to our best every 7 - 10 games." That's an over achievement.
lol, wtf??? Um no no no no no

All teams should be playing at, or close to their best for EVERY game.

If they play their best and still keep losing, then thats a roster issue. If they only seem to be up for the contest every 7 - 10 games then that is a coaching problem and certainly not an over achievement.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
lol, wtf??? Um no no no no no

All teams should be playing at, or close to their best for EVERY game.

If they play their best and still keep losing, then thats a roster issue. If they only seem to be up for the contest every 7 - 10 games then that is a coaching problem and certainly not an over achievement.
No, because someone with a low NRL IQ thinks playing at your best is winning/losing. I think we have played at our best (especially effort wise) and we've lost multiple times. We have an average to below average player in almost every position when you look across all NRL teams. There are other teams that have strike players that make something out of nothing. Do we even have one?

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
No, because to someone with a low NRL IQ thinks playing at your best is winning/losing. I think we have played at our best (especially effort wise) and we've lost multiple times.
Yeah that first sentence doesnt make sense.

We'll agree to disagree on your second point. We have been dreadful most games.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah that first sentence doesnt make sense.

We'll agree to disagree on your second point. We have been dreadful most games.
Not the case. Just little to no strike power across the field. I'm not agreeing with that.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not the case. Just little to no strike power across the field. I'm not agreeing with that.
You wont agree to disagree??

Dude what is wrong with you?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You wont agree to disagree??

Dude what is wrong with you?
Spine
DWZ
Foran/Lewis
Wakeham
JMK

Backs
Meaney
Reimis
Hopoate
Crichton/Montoya

Forwards
Tolman
Napa
RFM/Britt
Jackson
Elliott

Because wtf is this team? Why are you expecting so much from it? It's obviously three to four players short of doing anything.

I'm not agreeing that we've been dreadful most games. I think we've been the opposite with a few howler performances thrown in.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Spine
DWZ
Foran/Lewis
Wakeham
JMK

Backs
Meaney
Reimis
Hopoate
Crichton/Montoya

Forwards
Tolman
Napa
RFM/Britt
Jackson
Elliott

Because wtf is this team? Why are you expecting so much from it? It's obviously three to four players short of doing anything.
And what exactly am I expecting?

In that list I see 6 - 7 former or current rep players.

Tell me what has improved with the team, or even a player, in the last 3 years?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
And what exactly am I expecting?

In that list I see 6 - 7 former or current rep players.

Tell me what has improved with the team, or even a player, in the last 3 years?
Current rep players
DWZ as a winger
Foran, who's injured 1/3 of the time
Hopoate if we're counting Tonga
Napa I don't see being selected for QLD but it's possible

No top players who're best in their positions. A bunch of average or below average players is the make up of our team.

Nexus

Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Current rep players
DWZ as a winger
Foran, who's injured 1/3 of the time
Hopoate if we're counting Tonga
Napa I don't see being selected for QLD but it's possible

No top players who're best in their positions. A bunch of average or below average players is the make up of our team.
Wakeham
Smith was in the Kiwis training squad
Jackson is a former NSW and Aus player

They dont have to be the best in their position.

Mate stop cherry picking and ignoring the tougher questions.

Once again, tell me what has improved with the team, or even a player, in the last 3 years?

Im open minded. Convince me that there is something I'm not seeing.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Wakeham
Smith was in the Kiwis training squad
Jackson is a former NSW and Aus player

They dont have to be the best in their position.

Mate stop cherry picking and ignoring the tougher questions.

Once again, tell me what has improved with the team, or even a player, in the last 3 years?

Im open minded. Convince me that there is something I'm not seeing.
I don't care about former or future representative players. It's what we have now.

DWZ was one of the best fullbacks in the game according to some last year (I don't agree to that extent, but he was better than when he was at Panthers).
Meaney has improved as a winger (also just looks more confident).
You just said Reimis has joined the Kiwi's training squad.
Cogger improved when he had a run of games. Just wasn't good enough to get in over Lewis and Foran.
JMK has improved, even tho I don't think he's a good starting hooker.
CHN improved. Was dropped at the start of the year which was deserved.
Elliott's always been underrated here but people are saying he's our best player now.
To'omaga has improved.

The thing that you fail to see is other teams have also improved but have also recruited well, or at least better than us. Also for whatever reason you don't see our team as a bottom four team on paper.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: he should move to Perth . He would have that extra 3 hours