Official Paul Vaughan signs for the Bulldogs on a one year deal

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we have to apply for that to happen but it would be a near certainty they will approve it.

He has paid the price for his actions
Yeah but he got his suspension then dragons sacked him. So based on common sense from the NRL they should have applied the 8 weeks given he was under contract still at the time.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Doesn't that now make the TPJ and the Vaughan signing learnt via social media first for the fans instead of through the club? I know it's never "official" until the club say it but in both instances the players have made public comments with direct quotes prior to the club announcing it? We could be better in this area IMO.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Doesn't that now make the TPJ and the Vaughan signing learnt via social media first for the fans instead of through the club? I know it's never "official" until the club say it but in both instances the players have made public comments with direct quotes prior to the club announcing it? We could be better in this area IMO.
to be fair that’s better than speculating 9/10 with how our club was run lol

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
to be fair that’s better than speculating 9/10 with how our club was run lol
Recent poor years with millions of speculated signings had taught me to only celebrate when the Club announces it. Now we have instances where the cat is well out of the bag via direct quotes way before the club is willing to make it official. The club has the ability to time these things and also celebrate in their own hard work by being the first to announce it. Share these moments with their fans. It's anti climax and as an entity this should be under our own timeframe. Control the things we can control.

That said, by the sounds of it. Welcome to the dogs Vaughan.

Last edited:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t believe there are some people who think signing Vaughan and Dufty to 1 year deals isn’t good business. Unless the player is elite all clubs would love to sign players to 1 year deals. It doesn’t happen often because of the player, not the club.

In this instance both of these guys had very few other options so we could get away with 1 year deals.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
yes sir

Paul Vaughan can’t wait to repay the Bulldogs and their coach Trent Barrett for giving him a second chance.
“I played under Baz a few years ago for Country and we live up the road from each other,” Vaughan told The Australian.

“Baz has been really good through the whole process. He has always checked in on my wellbeing. It doesn’t sound like much but it meant a lot to me.

“I felt with what they are building next year — they are looking really good. I am really excited to get there and build something special.

“Also to repay Baz. That is the biggest thing. I want to repay Baz.”

Less than a month after being sacked by St George Illawarra for hosting a barbecue for 12 teammates at his Shellharbour home in breach of NSW health guidelines, Vaughan has been given a shot at redemption by Canterbury after agreeing to a one-year deal for next season.

He has paid a high price — both financially and emotionally — for what he acknowledges was a silly decision. He was handed an eight-game suspension by the NRL that he will serve over the remaining weeks of this season. He will also pay a $50,000 fine when he resumes his career.

The financial hits extend beyond the NRL sanction — his Bulldogs deal will be nearly half the $800,000-plus he was due to earn at the Dragons next season. All up, he stands to lose close to $1 million when you factor in what he would have been paid over the remainder of this season.

“I think the biggest thing is that security and stability for my family,” he said.

“That hurt me the most to be honest — having to put them through that, which was very difficult for me to see. It was a pretty stressful time.

“My wife is 33 weeks pregnant so she didn’t need any more stress than what she had already gone through. That was pretty hurtful.

“Now for me, I have a lot of motivation and I have a lot of drive to do good things next year, get back on track, and prove myself again.

“I should never have put myself in that position. It is frustrating because looking back on it, you would have gone about things so differently.

“I have learnt a couple of lessons the hard way. So the biggest thing is frustration with what I have brought on myself, the club, the NRL.”

Vaughan admits he has no one to blame but himself. His priority now is to look forward rather than stare into the rear-vision mirror.

“It was on my own head,” he said.

“I am still very remorseful and still very sorry for everything that has happened. It is not an easy thing to do when you wake up and there is media outside your house, and you are getting bashed.

“Again, I brought that on myself. It is done now, I have accepted it. I am sure everyone who has seen the story and has followed it would agree I have paid the ultimate price.

“I have lost a contract with the club that I love and I have to get my life back in order now. Now it is a challenge that I have set myself. I am really looking forward to getting back on top.

“I am going to use it in a positive way to repay Baz and the club that has given me an opportunity.”
Plot twist.... Baz was at the BBQ and made a dash down the street when cops turned up.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I can’t believe there are some people who think signing Vaughan and Dufty to 1 year deals isn’t good business. Unless the player is elite all clubs would love to sign players to 1 year deals. It doesn’t happen often because of the player, not the club.

In this instance both of these guys had very few other options so we could get away with 1 year deals.
Vaughan is good, Dufty isn't.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Paul Vaughan signs for the Bulldogs on a one year deal
bulldogs.com.auWed 28 Jul 2021, 12:55 PM
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have continued their re-build for next season with the signing of Paul Vaughan on a one-year deal.

The 30 year-old forward, brings with him extensive experience having played 181 NRL matches for the Canberra Raiders and St George, after debuting in 2013.

Vaughan, also represented Australia in two Test Matches in 2019, in addition to six appearances for New South Wales between 2018-19.

Bulldogs Head Coach, Trent Barrett, was excited about what Vaughan could bring to the club next season:

"Paul is someone who will bring both ability and experience to our young pack for next season.

Everyone knows what a damaging ball-runner he is and the impact that he can have on a game and we believe that we will be able to harness that moving forward.
I know that Paul is excited about the opportunity to come and join us and we believe that he still has a great deal to offer in the game.

We look forward to seeing Paul run out in the blue and white next year and welcome him and his family to the club.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Now we have signed Vaughn can we play Thommo on an edge? His footwork and pace seem a bit wasted playing him as a battering ram. Would live to see him on an edge.