Paul Green passed away

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep
Im doing good. Ive had bowel cancer & Im still kicking. Im not giving up!
Keep fighting brother.
And I'm glad you had the balls to talk about it. I keep telling some of our oldie friends over 55 to do the test kit they get in the mail and they tell me they bin it. Idiots.

This is a disease that needs to be acted on early and the test kit is a simple non invasive method of detection.

Hope people hear your story mate and wake up to themselves.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Socials saying the Matty Johns interview with Payten last Wednesday night may have tipped the black dog over the edge.

Don't know if they've cleaned it up since but the interview seemed ok.

As a matter of interest, Payten is the new younger style of coach and we can probably expect to see similar from Ciraldo.

Posting link here if anyone is interested.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Socials saying the Matty Johns interview with Payten last Wednesday night may have tipped the black dog over the edge.

As a matter of interest, Payten is the new younger style of coach and we can probably expect to see similar from Ciraldo.

What part would of tipped him over the edge?

Don't want to watch it as I really can't stand that unfunny **** with a famous brother.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You make a good point.

I was sick for 4 and a half years at that point. Was still waiting for a heart. Every second of every day was painful, taking half second breaths, struggling to breathe as the old heart was so big I only had 2% use of my left lung and 7% use of my right lung.

Couldn't walk without a walking stick or walker, obviously couldn't work to provide for my wife and two young kids. I never even thought of suicide as an option as I am a fighter and hate quitting.

One day I was preparing some snacks for the kids when they came home from school and all over the sudden I put the knife to my neck (hard enough to break skin), I wasn't thinking at all and all I can describe it as I was possessed by a demon.

Don't know how long I was there but the worst shit was going through my head, couldn't think, talk or internally talk. Somehow I managed to internally say "help me Jesus". At first i thought it didnt work. Then all of a sudden i "heard" someone say "who will clean up the blood, your wife or kids?". That's what broke my "trance", made me snap out of it instantly.

I instantly dropped the knife and collapsed. When I came to I managed to get on my knees and pray. That was it. Never thought of suicide again and nobody in real life knows this story.

First time I actually talk about it. Don't want sympathy or anything, just like you mentioned, if this helps someone then it's worth breaking my silence.

Please speak up and don't be a stubborn hard **** like I was. We are all human and we are allowed to have feelings.

God bless you All.
Thanks for sharing, it really helps people better understand what you and many other people go through. The more stories we all hear the greater the awareness and the potential to help someone else also suffering.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What part would of tipped him over the edge?

Don't want to watch it as I really can't stand that unfunny **** with a famous brother.
Socials saying the unsuccessful state of the team Payten found when he took over. But as I said, it seemed ok to me with no direct mention or bagging of Green. Said the guys weren't resilient enough under adversity and effort plays not good enough. It sounded very much like Bulldogs so I watched the whole thing.

Johns interviewed him in a sensible fashion. I think you'd enjoy it as an insight to good coaching philosophies :grinning:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, it really helps people better understand what you and many other people go through. The more stories we all hear the greater the awareness and the potential to help someone else also suffering.
Since 2012 I have had 5 different shrinks and booted them all. They are a part of the transplant process so I was forced to do the sessions.

Even if you aren't nuts those ***** will drive you nuts. I swear it's like they want you to be suicidal and take every word you say as a threat.

In summer I was in there and the AC shit itself for 3 days, now being in a CCU unit with extreme heart conditions, we don't handle heat very well. I was joking around with my mate across the bed from me jokingly asking "you think the window will break if I throw this chair at it?" (Because they were fixed glass windows). Next morning I woke up to professors, doctors and a shrink telling me I'm on suicide watch. A nurse snitched and twisted the story so it sounded like I was going to jump out the window.

Anyways, being St Vincent's is a Catholic hospital, they send "councillors" who are incolved in the church to have a chat and take our minds of our impending deaths basically. I ended up being assigned a young Nigerian guy who was fkn awesome and got me talking without even realizing it. He had a mad accent and had a hard life escaping there and making something of himself here.

Moral of the story, if something doesn't work for you, don't get turned off and keep going, the right person will come along and help you more than you ever know.

I myself always help out when I'm in there. The doctors get me to talk to pre and post transplant patients. I basically copped everything bad you can cop both pre and post transplant. Sometimes a person who has gone what you're going through is smarter than the smartest professor in the hospital.

Last edited:

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Since 2012 I have had 5 different shrinks and booted them all. They are a part of the transplant process so I was forced to do the sessions.

Even if you aren't nuts those ***** will drive you nuts. I swear it's like they want you to be suicidal and take every word you say as a threat.

In summer I was in there and the AC shit itself for 3 days, now being in a CCU unit with extreme heart conditions, we don't handle heat very well. I was joking around with my mate across the bed from me jokingly asking "you think the window will break if I throw this chair at it?" (Because they were fixed glass windows). Next morning I woke up to professors, doctors and a shrink telling me I'm on suicide watch. A nurse snitched and twisted the story so it sounded like I was going to jump out the window.

Anyways, being St Vincent's is a Catholic hospital, they send "councillors" who are incolved in the church to have a chat and take our minds of our impending deaths basically. I ended up being assigned a young Nigerian guy who was fkn awesome and got me talking without even realizing it. He had a mad accent and had a hard life escaping there and making something of himself here.

Moral of the story, if something doesn't work for you, don't get turned off and keep going, the right person will come along and help you more than you ever know.

I myself always help out when I'm in there. The doctors get me to talk to pre and post transplant patients. I basically copped everything bad you can cop both pre and post transplant. Sometimes a person who has gone what you're going through is smarter than the smartest professor in the hospital.
Its amazing with what you have been through & you still kick on. Hats off to you champ!

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

May seem ok to us, but Green may have thought his legacy was being trashed. In his state of mind, he may have thought, he wouldn't get another coaching gig.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
May seem ok to us, but Green may have thought his legacy was being trashed. In his state of mind, he may have thought, he wouldn't get another coaching gig.
Yes I guess someone with his state of mind at the time may have thought that. Under normal circumstances, he may have accepted it as part of the coaching up and down bumpy ride. However if he was getting negative feedback from his aplications, or worse, no feedback or interest, then it could have been depressing....and obviously was to some degree.

As Gus said we don't know the prime reason for his decision to end his life.

I feel so sorry for his friends and family and the sad fact that he chose for his poor wife to find him and for his children to grow up without their own Dad and his little son to have the added reminder that the day after my birthday, my Dad killed himself. Those that loved him the most are the most traumatised by his decisions :(

We all get depressed about various things that happen to us, or our loved ones, as our life evolves over time, but maybe when we are feeling ok, we all should think more about how those left behind have to deal with the heartbreak and loss, and also the stigma and pain of suicide and maybe it might trigger some small reminder and may stop some from going through with ending it all.

Try and be kinder bc we may not know what others are dealing with.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What surprised me about Green, was, he was a commercial and helicopter pilot. Green would have been the last person I would have thought would take his life, as he 'seemed' happy all the time. Saw an interview the other day with Kevin Walters (think it was the Footy Show), where he said the media can be nasty etc & that he was lucky he has people around him whom he can talk too, if things get too much.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What surprised me about Green, was, he was a commercial and helicopter pilot. Green would have been the last person I would have thought would take his life, as he 'seemed' happy all the time. Saw an interview the other day with Kevin Walters (think it was the Footy Show), where he said the media can be nasty etc & that he was lucky he has people around him whom he can talk too.
Had options of starting/building a helicopter tourist business in Qld to GBReef etc and going into partnership with other opportunities trading on his footy reputation. It's just so puzzling to say the least :(

But yeah as Gus said the media are sacking this coach and then that coach and then there's the players.

It's being talked about a lot on socials atm.

Things like this could mess with your head for sure if you put yourself in place of whoever they have on the front page and also terribly upset your family :(Screenshot_20220813-090902_Facebook.jpg

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So true mate life experience and everything you feel around that is real and not just an observation or theory.

Ridiculous that with all you were already dealing with you also had to deal with more unnecessary rubbish, but that's the ridiculously bureaucratic world we live in now.

Well done for being so strong and then helping others going through similar experiences and equally for backing yourself.

Malla

Reaction score
Looking back on this I am pretty sure Green was left out to dry by QLD Maroons after losing in 2021. If I remember correctly they said they wanted someone with the capability and desire to coach at origin level. I am certain that we did not hear from Green since that last interview he did after losing origin in 2021 so clearly he was struggling since then.

They don't give a fuck. They talk about mental health every week and reckon a mental health round will do anything but seriously nobody gives a fuck about any one elses mental health. This is why I don't blame players for just making as much money as they can in the NRL and fucking off.