Paul Crawley and Paul Kent implore Bulldogs to spend more on their roster

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs need to get active in the player market to save their season.
That is the opinion of Paul Crawley, after Canterbury were smashed 40-6 in their season opener against the Warriors.

“If they have the money in their salary cap, why aren’t they spending it?” Crawley told NRL 360.

“They need results and if there is $500 thousand sitting there they need to use it.

“They let a guy like Josh Morris go and Brett Morris and they could have done with those two players in the outside backs.

“David Klemmer is one I will never understand why they let him go.”

The Bulldogs have talked tough under coach Dean Pay, but they are many people’s pick for the wooden spoon in 2019.

Crawley believes they don’t have the roster to climb out of the hole left by the previous administration at the club.

“The concern for the Bulldogs is they lack experience,” Crawley said.

“They lack leadership apart from Josh Jackson in that pack. If you look at their pack on paper, I can’t see a solution for them in the near future.

“Canterbury are a club that has built everything on success on the field.

“They are not spending their salary cap at the moment.”
Paul Kent backed up Crawley’s sentiments in condemning the season opening performance at Mt Smart Stadium.

“It is hard to understand and you’ve got to ask if you can forgive that performance,” Kent said.

“Whether it is false hope or no hope what we found in recent years is there is a big bounce back factor from round one to round two.

“I’m hoping the Bulldogs can find it, but they are without answers for what went wrong on the weekend.”

Kent believes the Bulldogs can’t continue to blame the previous administration of the club for the plight of the team on the field.

“For all the stones that get thrown from this administration to the last administration, well this one hasn’t struck too many winners,” Kent said.

“They have essentially let more good players go than they have brought in and you look at their outside backs, how are they going to score a try?”

The Bulldogs host the Eels on Sunday at ANZ Stadium.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all no that...... but spend it on what ? The robson kid will be a good signing, but our top 30 is full of some duds..... how do we offload them ? I also want ponga, mitchell or manu as one of our outside backs if where doing so well under the cap

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeah cause it would've been better to have the bitch stink up the joint if we didn't let him go.

“They have essentially let more good players go than they have brought in and you look at their outside backs, how are they going to score a try?”
Again, what top players could we have attracted considering we are going through a rebuild?

These journo's wouldn't have a clue in terms of running a club yet they just continue to slag off every team other than their favoured 3-4 clubs.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's easy to say why didn't we keep players but these journos have NFI if they wanted to stay.

But there is some very average players in our top 30 and we need to try and make changes as soon as circumstances allow.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly I’ve been thinking the same thing all day. What are the administration doing? We aren’t we trying to strengthen the team before it’s too late in the season. Send a few of these blokes to the UK like Melbourne seems to be able to do so easily. Surely Tualau, Lichaa, John Olive, Montoya could secure a UK contract and Sadler could be relegated to a development contract. Am I making this sound too simple?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's gonna be alot more articles like this and heaps more pressure on Pay if we continue to get scores put on us. I just can't comprehend how Dean Pay (who had the whole off-season to plan) can settle on a centre pairing of Holland/Montoya and expect us to compete for premiership points. Everybody is pointing out that its a shit backline, even Parra and Newcastle had better backlines during their wooden spoon years.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah cause it would've been better to have the bitch stink up the joint if we didn't let him go.
I have no problem letting the dog **** go but we should of got the knights to give up a hooker. Why the fuck are we, the bulldogs, taking whatever knights brought to the table. Fuck that club, literally a nothing team with nothing history.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Bulldogs need to get active in the player market to save their season.
That is the opinion of Paul Crawley, after Canterbury were smashed 40-6 in their season opener against the Warriors.

“If they have the money in their salary cap, why aren’t they spending it?” Crawley told NRL 360.

“They need results and if there is $500 thousand sitting there they need to use it.

“They let a guy like Josh Morris go and Brett Morris and they could have done with those two players in the outside backs.

The Bulldogs have talked tough under coach Dean Pay, but they are many people’s pick for the wooden spoon in 2019.

Crawley believes they don’t have the roster to climb out of the hole left by the previous administration at the club.

“The concern for the Bulldogs is they lack experience,” Crawley said.

“They lack leadership apart from Josh Jackson in that pack. If you look at their pack on paper, I can’t see a solution for them in the near future.

“Canterbury are a club that has built everything on success on the field.

“They are not spending their salary cap at the moment.”
Paul Kent backed up Crawley’s sentiments in condemning the season opening performance at Mt Smart Stadium.

“It is hard to understand and you’ve got to ask if you can forgive that performance,” Kent said.

“Whether it is false hope or no hope what we found in recent years is there is a big bounce back factor from round one to round two.

“I’m hoping the Bulldogs can find it, but they are without answers for what went wrong on the weekend.”

Kent believes the Bulldogs can’t continue to blame the previous administration of the club for the plight of the team on the field.

“For all the stones that get thrown from this administration to the last administration, well this one hasn’t struck too many winners,” Kent said.

The Bulldogs host the Eels on Sunday at ANZ Stadium.

Actually he Kent said look at there centres how are they going to score a try...

Our centres are reserve grade quality and not even top reserved graders

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It n
Makes it seriously hard to defend pay when he puts Montoya in the centres and splits our right edge of holland and Reimis Smith up that we’re undoubtedly the best centre pairing we had all year

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope the board is not "banking" on some club to hit a salary cap hurdle during the season and "hopefully" snap up a "bargain"

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
With so many players on back ended deals and rachet contracts, we had no choice but to release good players now other wise we would be over the cap for this and next season. We have cap room now to front load 2 contracts and have more cap space next year. That's my thinking anyway.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They were pretty much spot on barring the klemmer release

This nrl 360 episode made me sooo depressed
How is bmoz on minimal pay at the roosters
Why not convince him to stick around and be on minimal pay with us after all the money and time rehab etc we have invested in him.

That’s just one issue

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
They were pretty much spot on barring the klemmer release

This nrl 360 episode made me sooo depressed
How is bmoz on minimal pay at the roosters
Why not convince him to stick around and be on minimal pay with us after all the money and time rehab etc we have invested in him.

That’s just one issue
minimal pay....... before TPAs and brown paper bags

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another mystery is why the fuck did we let Zac Woolford go? To me he was a way better prospect than Brown and JMK put together and I reckon we could have thrown him into first grade this year. Man of the match in both grand finals the ISP team played last season and we let him go to sign a one year contract with Newcastle.

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So the deadline for mid season signings is June 30?

Can you make 2-3 signings before June 30 if you make way in your top 30?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Nah this season is a write off. Save it.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Give it to Foran and pay him out. Just get rid of him honestly. We are carrying him and others who are deadwood.