Past Lives of Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
So I am and alway have been into Sydney's history and particularly history of places I grew up. Ie Riverwood area. 2210 Hoodz boiiii...

Anyway I digress..

Along with history I have always been a massive urban explorer... I have gotten into some of Sydney's coolest places that most people will never see.

So I was doing a bit of poking around and recently found this site.

http://pastlivesofthenearfuture.com/

It is awesome because it covers so many places from my childhood. Hope people enjoy some of the articles.. I spent hours reading them.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done a ghost Tour at The Rocks, that was amazing, it takes you to the Urban Areas around The Rocks, Places that you don't realise exist. and the story they tell you along the way are chilling and interesting.

Kaspa

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
Helen pavalova's was good though if u weren't white (sorry) u won't get serve...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Great site..

There are so many areas of Sydney that people don't even realise exist... EXAMPLE - the hidden pillboxes that surround Sydney Harbour.

There's some great fortifications I've visited in the past around Sydney.. just have to be careful as a lot of druggos frequent them and leave shit around I have heard (never personally seen though).

www.cinematreasures.org is a good site as well.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I learned to drive along this stretch of road at the age of 20 in 1977. Have not driven it for quite a while now but I remember it as being a pretty busy old place. I was quite proud of myself driving through there during peak hours being wedged in on all sides by trucks, bet it has not got any better.

Then and now King Georges Road Beverley Hills

Intersection of King Georges Road and Stoney Creek Road, Beverly Hills, 1981. Image courtesy Hurstville Library

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bloody hell, remember this too..Dick Smith Electronics/Vacant – Chullora, NSW

Don't think he got this one right because where I used to live in Punchbowl the Hartee's Hamburger place ( Hurry on down to Hartee's where the burgers are barbecued was their catchcry) was at the top of my street and after many incarnations became the McDonalds family Restaurant at the corner of Rawson Street and Canterbury Road ( now known as Wiley Park) . This picture was taken in Punchbowl proper near the rail bridge and I think at one time or another it was a bank and maybe even a Pizza Hut. . I know that I once had a Hartees burger so that is how I know where it was located. Any other oldies remember Hartee's?

The Hartee’s Saga, Part III – Punchbowl, NSW

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
One that really brought back memories was Beverly Hills Pizza Hut. I remember it was the ducks nuts going to the $5 all you can eat pizza bar with the soft serve ice cream machine and then going to the movies in the school holidays.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Bloody hell, remember this too..Dick Smith Electronics/Vacant – Chullora, NSW

Don't think he got this one right because where I used to live in Punchbowl the Hartee's Hamburger place ( Hurry on down to Hartee's where the burgers are barbecued was their catchcry) was at the top of my street and after many incarnations became the McDonalds family Restaurant at the corner of Rawson Street and Canterbury Road ( now known as Wiley Park) . This picture was taken in Punchbowl proper near the rail bridge and I think at one time or another it was a bank and maybe even a Pizza Hut. . I know that I once had a Hartees burger so that is how I know where it was located. Any other oldies remember Hartee's?

The Hartee’s Saga, Part III – Punchbowl, NSW

Absolutely Love this shit. Keep the memories coming.. You can comment on this guys site by the way and he often edits his posts with someone's correction.

So was Hartees like a pre KFC? I remember my Grandfather saying we will get a Hartees tonight but he actually meant Kentucky Fried..

Pops. Who remembers the wagon wheel food court at Roselands? First in Australia. And the rain drop fountain??

I could go on and on and on and on

Last edited:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Absolutely Love this shit. Keep the memories coming.. You can comment on this guys site by the way and he often edits his posts with someone's correction.

So was Hartees like a pre KFC? I remember my Grandfather saying we will get a Hartees tonight but he actually meant Kentucky Fried.

No they were a hamburger joint prior to McDonalds. They used the slogan stating their burgers were barbecued but I just found this and they must have changed it for the Aussie market. My brother used to sing "Hurry on down to Hartees where the burgers are buggered up", lol. Blow me down if they don't spell their name Hardees too. This old memory must be a bit rusty, but it was about 40 years ago.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
No they were a hamburger joint prior to McDonalds. They used the slogan stating their burgers were barbecued but I just found this and they must have changed it for the Aussie market. My brother used to sing "Hurry on down to Hartees where the burgers are buggered up", lol. Blow me down if they don't spell their name Hardees too. This old memory must be a bit rusty, but it was about 40 years ago.

Dam that jingle is already in my head.. What the hell is charco broiled???

See this is why I live this stuff. I wonder what happened to the company? What they called now if they are still around and what their history was.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
One that really brought back memories was Beverly Hills Pizza Hut. I remember it was the ducks nuts going to the $5 all you can eat pizza bar with the soft serve ice cream machine and then going to the movies in the school holidays.
We used to go to the one at Enfield alternated with the local Punchbowl Chinese Restaurant Hoong Cheong ( think that's how you spell it). The good old days when you could dine in at Pizza Hut and the only crusts they had were thin ones. Just basic toppings no fancy ones. Favourite was ground beef and onion ( how boring). The ice cream was a must after the pizza.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
We used to go to the one at Enfield alternated with the local Punchbowl Chinese Restaurant Hoong Cheong ( think that's how you spell it). The good old days when you could dine in at Pizza Hut and the only crusts they had were thin ones. Just basic toppings no fancy ones. Favourite was ground beef and onion ( how boring). The ice cream was a must after the pizza.
What's even cooler is that according to that site that I linked is that the Enfield Pizza Hut was the first in Australia.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Speaking of Pizza Hut. This was my closet Pizza Hut dine in restaurant back in the early 80s when I lived in Bonds rd, Punchy. Many happy nights there with my family.

Last edited:

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fascinating N4TE - just spent an hour in there.
Was hoping to see a pic of the old cinema in Panania, can't remember its name.

Then there was the one in Bankstown - saw Raquel Welch in 'One Million Years BC' when I was about 13.
The rest is between me and my pillow.

In about 1986, I opened the Freedom Furniture Store in Gladesville. It was refurbished from an old picture theatre. On opening day, an old guy came to see me and tell me that when he was a boy, he used to ride a horse up the dirt road of Victoria Rd from Balmain and bring the reels of the first half of the flick so they could start the same show up at Gladesville then he would ride back and get the second half when it was finished and deliver.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I grew up just down the road from Roselands shopping centre and when it opened in 1965 there was a great deal of excitement because it was then the biggest shopping centre in the Southern Hemisphere and was advertised as such. I remember the raindrop fountain, the food court which housed the Viking Restaurant and it even had a cinema ( Roselands beautiful?) and I went there to see Jaws when it premiered. When I worked for the Commonwealth Bank on relieving staff Roselands was my home branch for a while ( where you started in the morning until another branch called in someone sick or on holidays that needed replacing)

I watched it burn from the middle of my street late one afternoon . The Grace Bros store caught fire and the flames could be seen leaping high into the air and the glow was really creepy because being winter or thereabouts it was dark within an hour or so of it catching alight. I was only about 12 at the time and I was scared that the fire was going to reach my house, lol. It took a while for them to get it under control and a while before it was able to trade again properly. Used to go swimming at the pool that was adjacent to one of the car parks. I visited it recently and it is so far removed from the old days that it just does not seem right.

Status
Not open for further replies.