News Parramatta Eels sign Josh Hodgson for 2023

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
That's reasonable. At the same time, a lot of people pushed themselves to be positive about 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021. Resisting the positive approach is a protective factor against repeated disappointment.
Yep we were very hopeful during those past pre-seasons but this time it's not just fan loyalty or blind faith....we have far better players in the squad for 2022...so fingers crossed lol.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's reasonable. At the same time, a lot of people pushed themselves to be positive about 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021. Resisting the positive approach is a protective factor against repeated disappointment.
Im hearing ya. I've followed the Dogs for decades and its never been this bad.The last few years have been dreadful,but we've cleared a lot of the underperforming players and recruited about as good as we could have. There's plenty of time to be critical next year, for now we should be positive.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Lets be honest even with reed a top 4 spot is really hard. Storm, Panthers, Roosters and Manly are still well ahead of the pack
The so called "Storm Culture" is proving to be a total myth, most likely Bellamy's last year as coach, they are on the slide. They have lost JAC, Finucane, Hynes, Jacks, King, Lee, Booth, etc. Plus they have 13 players off contract after this season with no Ballamy coaching attraction for next season.

Panthers are losing quality players left, right and centre, which must have some effect and the inevitable let down after finally winning a premiership plus they are now the hunted, everyone will be after their scalp. Burton, Kikau, TPJ, Naden, Momirovski, Burns, Capewell and May all gonsky. Plus they also have 13 players off contract after this season.

The Chooks are cooked, they need half a new roster, the old guys finally left the roost, their replacements are pretty average. They have lost Copley, Cordner, Friend, Ikuvalu, Liu and 2 x Mozzies. Then replaced them with Atoni, Naiqama, Volkman and a couple of descents in Watson and Momirovski. With another 12 players off contract this season, be interesting to see who they can recruit with only 4 million to spend once they pay the big 8 (inc BSmith).

Manly are a 1 man team, shut down TT and they are toast, Melbourne showed how to do, other teams just copy and paste.

Always a Bulldog

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know top 4 is being a bit optimistic, I'm just trying to add a bit of positivity. People are being really negative and I think we have a lot to look forward to next season.
Nothing wrong with aiming high.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
The so called "Storm Culture" is proving to be a total myth, most likely Bellamy's last year as coach, they are on the slide. They have lost JAC, Finucane, Hynes, Jacks, King, Lee, Booth, etc. Plus they have 13 players off contract after this season with no Ballamy coaching attraction for next season.

Panthers are losing quality players left, right and centre, which must have some effect and the inevitable let down after finally winning a premiership plus they are now the hunted, everyone will be after their scalp. Burton, Kikau, TPJ, Naden, Momirovski, Burns, Capewell and May all gonsky. Plus they also have 13 players off contract after this season.

The Chooks are cooked, they need half a new roster, the old guys finally left the roost, their replacements are pretty average. They have lost Copley, Cordner, Friend, Ikuvalu, Liu and 2 x Mozzies. Then replaced them with Atoni, Naiqama, Volkman and a couple of descents in Watson and Momirovski. With another 12 players off contract this season, be interesting to see who they can recruit with only 4 million to spend once they pay the big 8 (inc BSmith).

Manly are a 1 man team, shut down TT and they are toast, Melbourne showed how to do, other teams just copy and paste.

Always a Bulldog
Every year we say melbourne is on the slide. I dont buy it. I'll believe it when it happens which is a very big if. They still have an amazing spine. The rest are replaceable.

Panthers are still a top 4 team even without burton and kikau. Not much is going to change there.

You're forgetting the roosters had a lot of injuries. They get back 2 origin players in Collins and Keary. Walker after putting on already 5-6 kgs will very all the better. Bring in cheese and who knows who else as they have money and they are still a top 4 team.

Manly might be a 1 man team but shutting down TT is near impossible regardless. A great defensive team can do it. The rest just struggle.

Not saying we shouldn't aim high. Just being realistic we don't yet have a too 4 squad. Our spine isn't yet a top 4 spine. It all hinges on our 1 and 7

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Every year we say melbourne is on the slide. I dont buy it. I'll believe it when it happens which is a very big if. They still have an amazing spine. The rest are replaceable.

Panthers are still a top 4 team even without burton and kikau. Not much is going to change there.

You're forgetting the roosters had a lot of injuries. They get back 2 origin players in Collins and Keary. Walker after putting on already 5-6 kgs will very all the better. Bring in cheese and who knows who else as they have money and they are still a top 4 team.

Manly might be a 1 man team but shutting down TT is near impossible regardless. A great defensive team can do it. The rest just struggle.

Not saying we shouldn't aim high. Just being realistic we don't yet have a too 4 squad. Our spine isn't yet a top 4 spine. It all hinges on our 1 and 7
Storm, Rooster and Panther will be top 3.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Could be just me but this year feels different, the so called "Melbourne culture" has been torn to shreds by NAS, Munster and BSmith. Munster must surely be on his last warning, one more fark up and he's out of there (straight to the Dolphins would be my guess). They have not just lost quality players but some heart and soul in JAC and Finucane. Surely someone has to sort out Hughes and start running through him, wear the prick down so he has no energy left for attack, he hasn't got a big motor that's why he was a failure at fullback.

Possibly the least of last season's top 4 to suffer, but they have lost some quality players and as reigning premiers they are a target and will get hammered each game. Let's see how they carry a burden that they haven't had to since 1991, which BTW was followed by finishing 9th in 1992 and then 12th in 1993.

I haven't forgotten anything, the reason why the Chooks had a lot of injuries is still there, if Robinson persists in flogging the shit out of the players, particularly the older ones, then the same will happen this year. JWH is 33, Keary and Taukeiaho are both 30 before the season starts, their workload needs to be managed. Plainly they need a hooker and BSmith is very unlikely for 2022.

Melbourne showed how vulnerable Manly are when TT is given no space to work in. Other teams will have absolutely watched and learnt from that game, whether enough teams can duplicate it often enough is of course a question, but the knowledge is there for all to see. One sprint along the Corso maybe all that it needs, or a slip in the shower.

I wasn't suggesting that we will take the place of 1 of the top 4 teams from last season, just that for numerous reasons the top 4 may not be the same next season.

Always a Bulldog

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Parramatta are in a premiership window next year if they get Hodgson and he is fit. They probably need another forward as Lane is lazy in D & attack

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Will be 33 when he becomes an Eel. His injury record pretty impressive...so one year older and battered. Experience will be his only plus..

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Could be just me but this year feels different, the so called "Melbourne culture" has been torn to shreds by NAS, Munster and BSmith. Munster must surely be on his last warning, one more fark up and he's out of there (straight to the Dolphins would be my guess). They have not just lost quality players but some heart and soul in JAC and Finucane. Surely someone has to sort out Hughes and start running through him, wear the prick down so he has no energy left for attack, he hasn't got a big motor that's why he was a failure at fullback.

Possibly the least of last season's top 4 to suffer, but they have lost some quality players and as reigning premiers they are a target and will get hammered each game. Let's see how they carry a burden that they haven't had to since 1991, which BTW was followed by finishing 9th in 1992 and then 12th in 1993.

Always a Bulldog
I think you forgot the Panthers won the premiership again after 1991 ie 2003 (Gower,Girds,Sattler, the ‘hair bears’,Preston, Wesser et al.

Panthers, Roosters and Storm will all be there in the top 4-6 again in 2022 let’s not kid ourselves

We will improve but by how much depends on a lot of factors

Coming 15th would technically be an improvement but with Gus calling the shots from above and a substantially better roster …8-12 would be par for the course.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Will be 33 when he becomes an Eel. His injury record pretty impressive...so one year older and battered. Experience will be his only plus..
I totally understand that but quality players if they somehow they stay fit, all you need is a season or 2 out of them, Api & Foran both stayed fit and look what happened. If Hodgson does keep fit & fires it spells danger for the rest of the competition.