Opinion Paper thin defense

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Defense wins games and Pay's defensive structures against the Warriors were the worst we've seen in years. We displayed.

Very poor defensive reaction: by not restricting second-man sweep play behind a lead runner thus allowing the Warriors to sweep around at pace to create the extra man.

Losing the ruck: our markers failed to initiate the speed of the game and remove all momentum by not engaging the hooker, to either shut him down or limit his options at the defensive line.

Very slow line speed: by not limiting progress over the advantage line. Our inside defenders failed to focus on the halves restricting their room to move and time to think. This allowed Blake Green to exploit us with his kicking game and the luxury of going to the line with support. Our inside defenders also failed to pressure their forwards, allowing them to gain easy ground and/or plenty of time to work the ball to the outside men.

Poor coordination when employing ‘shut the gate’ (middle defenders move up and slide with the play, keeping a uniform line and not dropping off too early, ensuring they are ready to tackle a runner on an inside line). Very slow and poor execution of rush forward and ‘wedge in’. Our defenders employed 'wait and hold' instead of 'move up fast' thus giving up 10 or 15 meters before stopping the attacking play.

Poor communication caused failure to shut down the attack by not staying on the defender’s inside shoulder, nominating the attacker and avoiding going past the ball.

Mistake riddled outside edge defense. Our Edge defenders are not flexible, instinctive and proactive in their movements. Their response, summary, commitment and positioning awaits disaster by making the wrong calls. To compound the problem our tight forwards are not forcing the play makers decisions and our third man (usually the half) in the line must be prepared to leave the lead runner and drift onto the fullback. He determines what the outside two defenders do, giving them a chance of stopping attacking players steaming through on the edges and the chance of herding the opposition towards the sideline. .

As Warren Ryan once said " tackling is the individual’s responsibility. Defense? That is the team’s responsibility".

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can't beleive we recruited the Raiders defensive coach.... even my raider mate laughed when we signed Pay

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My biggest annoyance was the extremely poor efforts one on one. We had the players there so the formations were good enough, but our defensive efforts were disgraceful and lazy.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In recent years .... Our attack was the problem and D was fine.

This year we're probably gonna suck in both attack and defence coz I don't see where the points are gonna come from.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t like to bag players but I’m sorry Montoya is the weakest centre we have ever had he needs to be punted ASAP anybody would be better

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Get rid of the weakest links lol...
Swap Monty for Harper
Swap lichaa for anyone ha !!

And any other opinions I will most likely agree with at this stage! Only game 1 after all.. so plenty of time.

Reactions: DT

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
The Warriors were so hungry and motivated to defend, they had 3 - 4 defenders in most tackles, dominating and driving us back. We, on the other hand, had 1 - 2 defenders per attacker and were dominated, also giving away post contact metres every time! We just weren't focused and driven to compete - we looked asleep to what was going on and what we needed to do about it!

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But i thought no one at our club is at any fault till 2050..

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
The Warriors were so hungry and motivated to defend, they had 3 - 4 defenders in most tackles, dominating and driving us back. We, on the other hand, had 1 - 2 defenders per attacker and were dominated, also giving away post contact metres every time! We just weren't focused and driven to compete - we looked asleep to what was going on and what we needed to do about it!
We made it easy for the warriors one out plays not hard to defend that.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t like to bag players but I’m sorry Montoya is the weakest centre we have ever had he needs to be punted ASAP anybody would be better
You can add Holland also.. slow & weak

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Defense wins games and Pay's defensive structures against the Warriors were the worst we've seen in years. We displayed.

Very poor defensive reaction: by not restricting second-man sweep play behind a lead runner thus allowing the Warriors to sweep around at pace to create the extra man.

Losing the ruck: our markers failed to initiate the speed of the game and remove all momentum by not engaging the hooker, to either shut him down or limit his options at the defensive line.

Very slow line speed: by not limiting progress over the advantage line. Our inside defenders failed to focus on the halves restricting their room to move and time to think. This allowed Blake Green to exploit us with his kicking game and the luxury of going to the line with support. Our inside defenders also failed to pressure their forwards, allowing them to gain easy ground and/or plenty of time to work the ball to the outside men.

Poor coordination when employing ‘shut the gate’ (middle defenders move up and slide with the play, keeping a uniform line and not dropping off too early, ensuring they are ready to tackle a runner on an inside line). Very slow and poor execution of rush forward and ‘wedge in’. Our defenders employed 'wait and hold' instead of 'move up fast' thus giving up 10 or 15 meters before stopping the attacking play.

Poor communication caused failure to shut down the attack by not staying on the defender’s inside shoulder, nominating the attacker and avoiding going past the ball.

Mistake riddled outside edge defense. Our Edge defenders are not flexible, instinctive and proactive in their movements. Their response, summary, commitment and positioning awaits disaster by making the wrong calls. To compound the problem our tight forwards are not forcing the play makers decisions and our third man (usually the half) in the line must be prepared to leave the lead runner and drift onto the fullback. He determines what the outside two defenders do, giving them a chance of stopping attacking players steaming through on the edges and the chance of herding the opposition towards the sideline. .

As Warren Ryan once said " tackling is the individual’s responsibility. Defense? That is the team’s responsibility".
Did you notice any different tactics employed by coach Pay this year....specifically to explain changing over JJ, RFM, Holland etc? Seemed to cause a lot of the confusion and mistrust of inside player. Smith seemed to give Montoya an exasperated shake of the head for one try I noticed.

2thebone

Waterboy
Reaction score
If we win next week I guess that will shut us up again. I’m confident with a few player changes and some few face slaps at training we can be promising.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If we win next week I guess that will shut us up again. I’m confident with a few player changes and some few face slaps at training we can be promising.
I hope you are right bro and I'll be the first to acknowledge the improvement. But so far we can only comment on what we have seen, a paper thin defense not fit for first grade.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It was their wrestling not defensive coach. Defensive coach hasn't changed since last year (Steve Anontelli).
Steve Babic Canberra's 2015 Clubman of the Year has an almighty task instilling some defensive wrestling skills. The Bella twins, tits and all, can grapple harder than some of our players.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What about the zero kick pressure on Blake green who’s kicking game ripped us a new arsehole

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What about the zero kick pressure on Blake green who’s kicking game ripped us a new arsehole
Yep that probably hurt us the most, I covered that in......

Very slow line speed:
by not limiting progress over the advantage line. Our inside defenders failed to focus on the halves restricting their room to move and time to think. This allowed Blake Green to exploit us with his kicking game and the luxury of going to the line with support. Our inside defenders also failed to pressure their forwards, allowing them to gain easy ground and/or plenty of time to work the ball to the outside men.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can add Holland also.. slow & weak
Holland and crighton together on that side was a nightmare to watch!
Absolutely no communication whatsoever, every time Holland came rushing in crighton did not follow therefore leaving huge embarassing gaps in the defence line.
Put Holland back with Reimes ffs

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Legit the only positive thing Hasler left us with was a decent defense and this bloke has torn it shreds

NovaScotiaDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
We need someone who can kick tactically. Some forwards who lay a bit of a platform so they have a bit of time to kick. I still believe is is all there but unfortunately not the belief or the commitment, yet! We also need to get our combinations right. Nowhere to go but up after Saturday’s effort.