Panthers v Broncos - GF thread

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
After seeing that GF I feel ok with missing out on Leniu. Glad Cam & Gus stuck to their guns and didn’t try to outbid the Rorters.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Cogger the 7 we didn’t know we needed all along
I knew. President of the Cogger / Meaney fan club. Panthers actually knowing how to coach helps. Can't wait to see what they do with Brad Schneider in 2024.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one should ever do a short drop out again after the Broncos gave Penrith an 8 point head start in a GF from them and lost by 2. Any coach who let's them do it unless it's late in the game chasing points should be fired.
Disagree.
Anyone watching that game would see how under the pump and starved of the ball the Broncos were in that first half.

The short drop out was a way to both try and get the ball back but also to send a message to Penrith that if you kick for a repeat set, you may turn the ball over.

The try was a consequence of the risk. The second one was probably strategic as it almost forced Penrith to take the 2 when they were under the pump and may have leaked 4 or 6 points. Scoring under the posts just before halftime more than made up for it.

Losing the game from 24-8 with Yep and Sorensen in HIA and Luai succumbing to his shoulder is where they should be criticised.

But all credit to Penrith. They never panicked. With 18 or so minutes left they systematically played for 3 tries and got them. It took some brilliant individual work by Cleary and Critta but they knew if they got 1 every 6 or so minutes, they'd give themselves a chance.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
but then you do go for the short drop out with 5 minutes to go and you know penrith aren't going to take the 2

the idea is that brisbane goal line defence looked good all game so its a free shot at the much needed ball
That's right.
Teams that have shown they can defend a team in their 20 or 10 should almost ALWAYS go short. There are of course exceptions to the rule.

I thought it was smart of AR to go short on the second 1 which conceded the penalty.
I also thought his 2 efforts in the second half to go wide and flat were smart. He was unlucky with the first one with Cleary only millimetres in getting his right foot down. The second was read by Panthers easier but still kicked downfield so hardly conceded much territory.

It's not the drop outs that cost them. Brisbane needed to convert their breaks into territorial advantage but that 35-25 kick from Cleary swung momentum and field territory badly.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Not so much hate, more the fact we wanted too see donkeys win, Penrith winning is getting very boring.. Cleary is the best HB in the game, we know this and daddy an him have the panthers sewn up. But we now want to see the decline an fall so another team can have their time.
I just think they are infinitely more deserving for the best team of the modern era moniker. Thats why I wanted them to win. Storm, Roosters or even the 90's Broncs and Raiders all had cap blemishes and were able to build and retain their squads with obvious rorts with no oversight. If Roosters win next year it would be a travesty.
Did it all their own way with players from their own backyard and built from the bottom up. Congrats The Riff

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got to feel for Adam Reynolds.

Lost to Panthers in 2021 and 2023 by 2 points in GFs.

What a horrible way to lose a GF. And he did it twice!

Re-watched 2021 GF and got to say Crichton definitely loves the big stage.

From watching it though I also hope Crichton isn't a Burton or Kikau - a star at Penrith, a dud at the Dogs. Let's hope Burton and Kikau with Crichton can bring some of that penrith winning culture to the dogs!

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Lowkey happy we didn’t pay starting prop money for Spencer Lenui. Has zero motor and would struggle being the main prop at the Dogs

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Still hyped after watching so much clutch in in the last 20 mins of that game by Penrith, that was a great way to end the NRL season

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just shows how shit our coaches / systems have been for years.
He has gotten a lot more experience and confidence during his SL stint you would imagine. It was a hopeless, directionless time at our club when he was here but then again it shows the clubs' coaches up big time in that we seem to banish and stuff around guys who show the best potential ...and stick with the duds for some reason.

Past what 4-5 coaches have done the same with certain players. Poor talent identification or not enough good people in the right places to develop what we do have.

Hopefully that all changes as of Nov 1.