News PANTHERS LIKELY TO LOSE BURTON + BARRET NOT OFFERING TOLMAN A CONTRACT

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I read in the Sydney Morning Herald the other day that V'landys is planning a rule change over the summer with regard to players changing clubs before the end of their contracts. What is mooted is that if for example Addo Carr is on $450k at Melbourne and he leaves with a year to go then his new club can't sign him for more than the $450k he currently earns. Puts a stop to managers trying to get more money for their clients and themselves. It also puts a stop to this nonsense of players wanting to play in a higher paid position they haven't played before eg Addo Carr to fullback.

One thing it probably won't stop is TPAS well over and above what his new club is allowed to pay.

Getting rid of TPAS MUST be the next thing on V'landys agenda.

Has he got the grapefruits to put a fire up Uncle Nick's backside?
Not sure on the legality of that as it would likely be a restriciton of trade. Not sure if you know more but does it means that existing club has to carry over the existing contract and then at the expiry of that they can increase terms? Or can they only sign him on a contract that is worth $450K?

So in this case, for example, if Addo Carr is on $450K at Melbourne and has a deal until 2021, than a club has to pay him $450K for 2021 then after that they are free to negotiate terms. I believe that model would work as it means that Addo-Carr can still get more money for 2022 onwards, just as he would have been able to if he stayed at Melbourne.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Just bring in a transfer system like in soccer. Any club that wants Burton would pay Penrith a transfer fee. That way Penrith get compensated for developing Burton.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure on the legality of that as it would likely be a restriciton of trade. Not sure if you know more but does it means that existing club has to carry over the existing contract and then at the expiry of that they can increase terms? Or can they only sign him on a contract that is worth $450K?

So in this case, for example, if Addo Carr is on $450K at Melbourne and has a deal until 2021, than a club has to pay him $450K for 2021 then after that they are free to negotiate terms. I believe that model would work as it means that Addo-Carr can still get more money for 2022 onwards, just as he would have been able to if he stayed at Melbourne.
My interpretation of the SMH article would be, if a player was on $450k with one year to go on his contract and he was released to another club then 450k would be the maximum he could be paid in his first year's contract excluding TPAS at his new club.

After that his new club could re-negotiate a higher pay deal for year two onwards.

I feel this is designed to protect clubs from managers with no ethical standards and respect for contracts as well as players who want to play a more highly paid position which they have never played at NRL level.

If i was the Storm coach and CEO i would be mighty peeved that Addo Carr wants to return to sydney, allegedly on compassionate grounds and now months later it comes out that he wants to play a more highly skilled and paid position he has limited experience at, if any at all.

If it was my decision i would tell him he is not going anywhere until his contract finishes.

By the way this seems to be a sumilar stunt that Klemmer and manager and co pulled off.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Blake green... bummer

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bring in a transfer system like in soccer. Any club that wants Burton would pay Penrith a transfer fee. That way Penrith get compensated for developing Burton.
100% right. Transfer system has been in place in soccer for decades. It's beyond the NRL because the administrators are amateurs.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard the ladies love that mature look.
Can hardly wait.
Seems to work for me. I go to Switzerland a couple of times each year, and people there think I'm a blonde haired surfer.
Just glad that, at 71, I still have a full head of wavy locks.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Burton will reportedly see out his current contract as he is keen to continue learning off Ivan Cleary and son, superstar halfback Nathan.

We need Burton for next year.
He's under contract next year. What don't you understand? No club is compelled to let a player go early. We let CHN go because we know we fucked up in our duty of care. It was either let him go or be sued. Come November, we can approach Burton NOT BEFORE.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Those three years have felt like 10 lol
I just think thank goodness this mess is nearly behind us and we can move on.
Really can’t take too much more to be honest.
Starting to go grey !
The mess we are in is because we've ignored our pathways during Haslers reign. Its financially impossible to keep buying a top quality FG squad from other clubs. You must grow at least 50% of your own. We have failed to do that. Ignore your pathways today and be a basket case in 5 years....exactly as Hasler did from the day he started with us.
We wont be premiership contending competitive until probably 2025.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I read in the Sydney Morning Herald the other day that V'landys is planning a rule change over the summer with regard to players changing clubs before the end of their contracts. What is mooted is that if for example Addo Carr is on $450k at Melbourne and he leaves with a year to go then his new club can't sign him for more than the $450k he currently earns. Puts a stop to managers trying to get more money for their clients and themselves. It also puts a stop to this nonsense of players wanting to play in a higher paid position they haven't played before eg Addo Carr to fullback.

One thing it probably won't stop is TPAS well over and above what his new club is allowed to pay.

Getting rid of TPAS MUST be the next thing on V'landys agenda.

Has he got the grapefruits to put a fire up Uncle Nick's backside?
Remember the NRL had it's draft knocked out by the court as a restraint of trade.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He's under contract next year. What don't you understand? No club is compelled to let a player go early. We let CHN go because we know we fucked up in our duty of care. It was either let him go or be sued. Come November, we can approach Burton NOT BEFORE.
I know he's under contract but players break contract all the time. I don't see what Burton gets out of playing close to, if not, zero NRL games next year and being paid half as much. If other clubs take advantage, so should we. Next year is close to a write off with that mentality because we're not going to get a top hooker thinking like that either.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to work for me. I go to Switzerland a couple of times each year, and people there think I'm a blonde haired surfer.
Just glad that, at 71, I still have a full head of wavy locks.
All good not to fussed about the hair really, just a bit of a joke
I spent some time in Switzerland last August,not too far out of Zurich
What a fantastic country to either visit or live in.
A bit pricey but nice when you have relatives to hang out with.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mess we are in is because we've ignored our pathways during Haslers reign. Its financially impossible to keep buying a top quality FG squad from other clubs. You must grow at least 50% of your own. We have failed to do that. Ignore your pathways today and be a basket case in 5 years....exactly as Hasler did from the day he started with us.
We wont be premiership contending competitive until probably 2025.
2025 seems like a long time to wait but your probably close to the mark.
Just as long as we are making steady progress to becoming a force again.
I will just hang in there and keep supporting till it all improves.
Actually let’s settle on 2024 lol

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
All good not to fussed about the hair really, just a bit of a joke
I spent some time in Switzerland last August,not too far out of Zurich
What a fantastic country to either visit or live in.
A bit pricey but nice when you have relatives to hang out with.
Where did you stay? My group stays at Oerlikon, just out of the CBD, and not far from the airport. Places I really like to stay at are Chur, Interlaken Ost, Montreux, Brig and Filisur. Don't care much for Geneva or Basle, but Berne is OK.

If you get out of the big cities, property prices are affordable - non Swiss nationals are charged an extra 20% if they want to buy property, and they must have a residency permit. Getting Swiss nationality can be very expensive.

They have the best rail system, even though there are no high speed trains.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stayed at Wetzikon which wasn’t that far from Zurich central.
My cousins location was unbelievable right next to this amazing lake and cycling paths.
They virtually took us everywhere possible in the time that we were there,hiking throughout the mountains and walking amongst those Swiss cows was something else.
Lucerne & Rhine Falls pretty cool
It was the cleanest and most organised place I’ve ever visited.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I stayed at Wetzikon which wasn’t that far from Zurich central.
My cousins location was unbelievable right next to this amazing lake and cycling paths.
They virtually took us everywhere possible in the time that we were there,hiking throughout the mountains and walking amongst those Swiss cows was something else.
Lucerne & Rhine Falls pretty cool
It was the cleanest and most organised place I’ve ever visited.
Yep, I know Wetzikon. The benefit of Oerlikon is it's just four minutes to the centre of town, and there are trains every couple of minutes.
Switzerland is a remarkable place. As you say, it's very clean and tidy. Also has a high gun ownership - there is compulsory military service, and they keep their weapons with them; they love their hunting, and there are rifle ranges all over the place; yet there is no gun crime.

I have a thing for snow capped mountains, and really like the trip on the Bernina Express to Tirano in Italy. It has the highest alpine crossing in Europe, then drops from chest high snow to palm trees in just over an hour of winding and twisting track.

Zermatt is a nice place to visit. It is a car free town, not over priced, and has the iconic Matterhorn Mountain as its backdrop. I much prefer the train up to the Gornergrat than the more popular Jungfrau. It's in open air all the way, and you can see Marmots in the spring; it's also a fraction of the cost. The train journey from Visp to Zermatt is one of the more scenic routes in Switzerland.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If Baz is getting Burton for us I am excited. And the way it’s being reported I think it’s more likely. If Baz dosent make that phone call sorry Tolman your gone

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yep, I know Wetzikon. The benefit of Oerlikon is it's just four minutes to the centre of town, and there are trains every couple of minutes.
Switzerland is a remarkable place. As you say, it's very clean and tidy. Also has a high gun ownership - there is compulsory military service, and they keep their weapons with them; they love their hunting, and there are rifle ranges all over the place; yet there is no gun crime.

I have a thing for snow capped mountains, and really like the trip on the Bernina Express to Tirano in Italy. It has the highest alpine crossing in Europe, then drops from chest high snow to palm trees in just over an hour of winding and twisting track.

Zermatt is a nice place to visit. It is a car free town, not over priced, and has the iconic Matterhorn Mountain as its backdrop. I much prefer the train up to the Gornergrat than the more popular Jungfrau. It's in open air all the way, and you can see Marmots in the spring; it's also a fraction of the cost. The train journey from Visp to Zermatt is one of the more scenic routes in Switzerland.
Their farms are so organised and tidy. Not a blade of grass or wood stack out of order or unison.

We had a laugh comparing to Australian farming properties lol