News Pangai permission to explore

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another thing to consider with Pangai is his suspension record.

He's on the Jack Hetherington class where all he needs to do is sneeze and he will get a few weeks due to loading.

He got charged with a crusher tackle last night and is looking at a minimum 3 weeks.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

He's on the Jack Hetherington class where all he needs to do is sneeze and he will get a few weeks due to loading.

He got charged with a crusher tackle last night and is looking at a minimum 3 weeks.
You're not wrong about TPJ's suspension issues but Johnson probably misses as many games a season through injury so both have their risks.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm on the fence, it's sounding like we're getting SJ so should we get this guy too? FIIK really...could be great or lots of trouble, maybe the Haas thing has some legs that would be MUCH better and although more expensive in reality better value.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

4 weeks apparently:

Round 15 charges: Pangai facing four-game ban
https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/18/round-15-judiciary-charges/

But yes, concur with this. Bloke has a discipline problem on and off the field - it’s no wonder the Ponies are pushing him out - do we really want this regardless of his talent? I call it a risk we don’t need.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
4 weeks apparently:

But yes, concur with this. Bloke has a discipline problem on and off the field - it’s no wonder the Ponies are pushing him out - do we really want this regardless of his talent? I call it a risk we don’t need.
I would say no...
Unless somehow there is an existing good understanding and respect between him and TBaz.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
He can play but no. He gets suspended way too much, hes reckless a lot. Loses his cool easily. He would be bad value for money he's out as much as Foran was last few years. He's about to be gone for another 3 weeks after last night

All that and he's a turnstile in defence

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 weeks apparently:

We are finally getting our house in order after quite a few years of let’s just say bedlam the last thing to deal with is a problem child.
The possible distraction to our team is not worth the risk in particular younger players who are easily influenced.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Does this feel like a Baz signing though? I mean the type of player he said he was going to target. Is that TPJ? I wouldn’t be surprised if we weren’t even interested tbh. I’d take him if the price is right.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Where did the Tigers link come from? Nothing is official, is this just a bunch of Journo's talking shit?
This time it isn't. They have been talking for a while, got in even before we did.

Sloth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Does this feel like a Baz signing though? I mean the type of player he said he was going to target. Is that TPJ? I wouldn’t be surprised if we weren’t even interested tbh. I’d take him if the price is right.
if we do get him, I think he’ll be a beast with less errors in our team. With the other players that we have coming in 2022 less pressure for him to create something out of nothing.

Broncos will more than likely have to contribute to a nice percentage of his contract :grimacing: It is a shame that the tigers rumours are getting louder and louder could be the reason why they pulled out of the DWZ deal? But you never know we could pull off a deal out of no where like the DWZ deal to the warriors.

here’s to hoping we get him! Very excited for the future at the dogs.

Dan2

Waterboy
Reaction score
He will only be good if he is made to play for his money. The day he started earning big $$'s is they day he basically stop putting in the hard graft. 300k is his limited in worth i think but hey we are the dogs and pay ridiculous contracts.

No thanks.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you want the best out of TPJ then only sign him for 12 months at a time contracts to keep him hungry.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Phil Gould rekindles Pangai's Origin dream

The chance to work under Origin coaching legend Phil Gould Bulldogs recruit Tevita Pangai jnr eyeing a push into the NSW side this year.
The Tongan international was born in Australia and grew up around Newcastle and has been spoken of as a possible Origin player for several years now. Gould took on the Bulldogs' GM of football role mid-last year and has taken a hands on role with the club across both the NRL side and player development, and Pangai said he has already benefitted from some mentoring.

"'Gus' spoke to me about what it takes to be an Origin player," Pangai said. "He's got that aura about him, a bit scary when he pulls you up and tries to talk to you! He's been good to have around the club and every time he speaks, everyone listens, like motivational talks.

"'Baz' (coach Trent Barrett) and Gus have spoken to me about doing all the little things, what makes a good player and what makes an Origin player. I think I'm at the right club to do that under Gus and under Baz." That includes building his minutes: since missing round one with hamstring tightness Pangai's two matches have yielded 50 and 46 minutes spread across multiple stints.

"He said when he was coaching Origin he only picked 80 minute players," Pangai added. "If an injury happens you know you've got to play 80. He wants me to get to that point where I can play big minutes." Pangai hopes to build on that in the coming weeks.

"I think that (playing in short bursts) is the goal at the moment until I get my match fitness back," he added. "Hopefully in the next couple of weeks my minutes can start to pick up and I can do a job for longer for my team." That job will most likely continue to be at prop, regardless of if he continues to run out in the number 12 as he has the past two games.

"I'm a front rower, that's where I play my best footy. It's more simple in there, all I've got to think about is running hard and tackling hard," he said.
The occasionally prolific offloader created second-phase options seven times in round two and none in round three. He said that was a case of playing to match conditions in torrential rain at 4 Pines Park. "My first thought is just to run hard, if the offload presents itself then [I will], obviously on the weekend it was a bit wet," he said. "I don't go out there trying to get 10 offloads a game, my first thought is to run hard and go from there."

A real feature of the Bulldogs' perforamnces across three games has been that, despite a struggle to score points, they've shown a real resilience in defence which was on full display when turning away set after set on their own line against Manly. "Defensively we've been in a good team spirit but we need to click with our attack, that's on us forwards to lay a platform and bring out the best of Matt Burton, Matt Dufty and Brandon Wakeham," Pangai added.

"The more we train together and the more games we get under our belts - we've learned a lot the last three weeks of what we need to do attacking-wise. Hopefully that comes to fruition sooner rather than later."

Fellow prop Luke Thompson is in his third season at Belmore and has also been buoyed by the uptick defensively, with the 33 points conceded in three games the team's best return at this stage of a season since 1993. "We've got an average of 11 points per game to start the season so that's really good," Thompson said. "If we can do that and turn up with that attitude in our defence I think we're gonna win a lot more than we lose. "The last two weeks we've missed out by a couple of points or a try so as long as we've got that defensive attitude and maybe tidy up a bit of attack and get our combinations together for longer period of time, we'll be good."

Always a Bulldog