Out of the loop: Seasons 2017-2021

Game786

Waterboy
Reaction score
Hey all,

Brief intro - I was an avid fan from the late 90s up until 2017 when I lost interest in the sport due to the game becoming tactically repitive and also due to growing interests in other sports.

I'm eager to start following the team again next season, however, I have the following questions about the rule changes that have been introduced:

1. The game seems to be much faster (less ref stopages now and also more passing for the first 5 tackles in the set) than what it was 5 years ago. Is this change attributable to any rule changes or have teams changed their tactics to a more free flowing game?

2. I've read that certain rule changes have resulted in a large number of blowouts over the last season or two. Could you please explain why this has signifcantly benefited only a few teams who are regularly winning by large margins? A rule change is the same for every team, so I don't really understand how the change can be detrimental to some teams and extremely beneficial for others.

In addition to the recent rule changes, if there are any other technical aspects of the game that have changed over the last few years, please feel free to let me know!

Thanks

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hey all,

Brief intro - I was an avid fan from the late 90s up until 2017 when I lost interest in the sport due to the game becoming tactically repitive and also due to growing interests in other sports.

I'm eager to start following the team again next season, however, I have the following questions about the rule changes that have been introduced:

1. The game seems to be much faster (less ref stopages now and also more passing for the first 5 tackles in the set) than what it was 5 years ago. Is this change attributable to any rule changes or have teams changed their tactics to a more free flowing game?

2. I've read that certain rule changes have resulted in a large number of blowouts over the last season or two. Could you please explain why this has signifcantly benefited only a few teams who are regularly winning by large margins? A rule change is the same for every team, so I don't really understand how the change can be detrimental to some teams and extremely beneficial for others.

In addition to the recent rule changes, if there are any other technical aspects of the game that have changed over the last few years, please feel free to let me know!

Thanks
1. A number of the stoppages in play that used to result in a scrum are now a straight hand over. There are pretty strict time restrictions for things like scrums and drop outs. Biggest thing has been 6 again for ruch infringements and offsides, rather than penalties. The stats apparently show that the ball is in active play around 2 minutes more per game than a couple of years ago.

2. This is tougher, there is no doubt some teams have adjusted to the changing rules better than other teams. However the observation of many fans and noticeably some of the commentators at times is that the team that is perceived to be weaker cops more 6 agains against them. Sometimes these observations are plainly fan bias, but for me they happen too often in games I watch that I am neutral. At times it genuinely appears the ref is only watching one team.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In attack, teams with naturally gifted players who easily break tackles or make line breaks (ie Tommy Turbo), or are coached to play eyes up footy (ie Storm, Panthers) have a big advantage over teams full of players who have been playing very structured block plays for all or most of their careers.

When defending, repeat sets = defenders under fatigue at times = more missed tackles, more injuries and more dangerous tackles

Last edited:

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably better to stay out of the loop the way we are going. What other sports did you get into?

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
#Game786 I am amazed that you even got an answer, because no one that follows rugby league knows the rules any more. Actually it's being morphed into "rugba leeg" which is like a touch footy/oztag soft tackle game that imitates rugby league but is more powder puff like and the flow of the game can be easily manipulated. It really caters for all types of betting variations but is generally unwatchable garbage.

Hulk76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That's awesome. You have lived stress free for those years out of the loop....
Hey all,

Thanks

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the plus side the last 4 seasons have made me a more humble supporter and if possible even more passionate than ever before.

On the negative I have also become a touch psychotic whilst watching games, prone to uncontrollable swearing every time I hear that six-again chime.

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ex-Bulldog Dennis Scott is the new landscaper on Selling Houses Australia.