Out of Respect to Queen Elizabeth. A separate Royal Meme Thread

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Did you read the article? The headline was taken from a voter
Yes, I did.

I have a communications degree and plenty of experience working in the industry (I once worked for Murdoch), and the main tools media orgs use to slant news are headlines and the lead they choose for their story. You can add your right of reply further down the story, but it’s the headline and lead par which are most effective in driving reaction to a story.

This whole article is hot air. They have taken a few random social media posts in order to feed the conservative led narrative that Albo is a bludger/ professional opposition leader/ not doing his job.

Let’s take the story and analyse it a bit. Putting aside the headline, which is very suggestive in its own right, the first par of the story is:

Australia’s federal parliament, which was due to return next week, will be suspended for at least 15 days after the death of Queen Elizabeth in a move that has outraged Aussies.

What do they present to substantiate this claim of widespread national outrage? Two tweets from random Twitter users, and I’d lay down short odds that both of them vote conservative.

Since when did the tweets of random members of the public with obvious political agendas become the stuff of headlines?

The article then makes the implication Albo has called for a longer than usual hiatus, citing the fact the UK parliament will only “adjoin” (sic) for 10 days.

The reality is the PM is simply following protocol by confirming parliament will not sit next week. It was due to be adjourned the week after anyway, so it’s not like Albo is calling for a longer than usual hiatus.

It’s a politicisation of the Queen’s death in a thinly veiled attack on the PM.

The ironic thing is the same news source is also publishing stories with an editorial slant which is critical of Adam Bandt for politicising the death by calling for renewed discussions about a republic so soon after the news broke. Yet news is happy to politicise the death themselves if it can give them leverage against the PM.

Completely disingenuous reporting, IMO.

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes, I did.

I have a communications degree and plenty of experience working in the industry (I once worked for Murdoch), and the main tools media orgs use to slant news are headlines and the lead they choose for their story. You can add your right of reply further down the story, but it’s the headline and lead par which are most effective in driving reaction to a story.

This whole article is hot air. They have taken a few random social media posts in order to feed the conservative led narrative that Albo is a bludger/ professional opposition leader/ not doing his job.

Let’s take the story and analyse it a bit. Putting aside the headline, which is very suggestive in its own right, the first par of the story is:

Australia’s federal parliament, which was due to return next week, will be suspended for at least 15 days after the death of Queen Elizabeth in a move that has outraged Aussies.

What do they present to substantiate this claim of widespread national outrage? Two tweets from random Twitter users, and I’d lay down short odds that both of them vote conservative.

Since when did the tweets of random members of the public with obvious political agendas become the stuff of headlines?

The article then makes the implication Albo has called for a longer than usual hiatus. Citing the fact the UK parliament will only “adjoin” (sic) for 10 days.

The reality is the PM is simply following protocol by confirming parliament will not sit next week. It was due to be adjourned the week after anyway, so it’s not like Albo is calling for a longer than usual hiatus.

It’s a politicisation of the Queen’s death in a thinly veiled attack on the PM. The ironic thing is the same news source is also publishing stories with an editorial slant which is critical of Adam Bandt for politicising the death by calling for renewed discussions about a republic so soon after the news broke. Yet news is happy to politicise the death themselves if it can give them leverage against the PM.

Completely disingenuous reporting, IMO.
Yep I agree and I see it in almost all media these days. I know it’s protocol but Australia can’t afford to take time off parliament like this.

You can see why people feel our PM has hardly been in Australia too

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yep I agree and I see it in almost all media these days. I know it’s protocol but Australia can’t afford to take time off parliament like this.

You can see why people feel our PM has hardly been in Australia too
Well, it’s not often a monarch dies, I guess. All it really means is we won’t have grown adults yelling at each other in question time for an extra week. Not like the government will stop governing.

As for him travelling, he can’t help it the Queen died. It would send a pretty bad message if he said he was too busy to pay his respects. And you know ScoMo would be doing the same thing.

I think whatever Albo does, his detractors will criticise him. If he follows protocol, he’s lazy and not doing his job, but if he had decided to go on with parliament as usual and to not attend the funeral, the criticism from the conservative side would be deafening.

Last edited:

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We’ll, it’s not often a monarch dies, I guess. All it really means is we won’t have grown adults yelling at each other in question time for an extra week. Not like the government will stop governing.

As for him travelling, he can’t help it the Queen died. It would send a pretty bad message if he said he was too busy to pay his respects. And you know ScoMo would be doing the same thing.

I think whatever Albo does, his detractors will criticise him. If he follows protocol, he’s lazy and not doing his job, but if he had decided to go on with parliament as usual and to not attend the funeral, the criticism from the conservative side would be deafening.
Those rules should be changed now after what we’ve seen with covid. What if a few successors die suddenly? No parliament at all.

I guess this is why he should’ve spent more time in Australia instead of pointless things like sucking up to the French

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Anyone know what the WNRL player from the knights posted on Twitter about the queen?