Opinion Our roster

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is a risk with signing players with "potential". They dont or wont deliver for a fair while.
There needs to be a base of established first grade players, and slot in the "potential" players when the time is right.
Potential players will deliver diddly.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
From the list I would only keep Jayden, Renouf and Chris Smith. At this stage IMO I doubt the others (or most of them) will get contracts with any other clubs. Shape up or ship out!
This.

By a curious coincidence, the players who are performing the worst for us are those very same players playing for their careers. You'd think they'd be fresh and eager to show what they've got but no they ain't.

Has Baz done a Sticky and told them, they are not in his plans, hoping they'll find something else early?

There's just no real meaningful effort to impress from them so.....

Last edited:

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes except have you looked at the other teams' rosters. Some have as many, or more, off contract who they want to replace as well.

It's not going to be easy to get quality.
Yeah, agreed, but if you look through the lists, most teams (unlike us) have a mix of squad players with players that are no-brainers to re-sign and they also have Top 17’s with quality in key positions. We don’t have that....
We need 2 big bodied, hard running front rowers, a hooker and strike centre, then we’ll be on our way.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree with all that you would keep and maybe add Atoni if he take minimum deal
Agreed on Atoni, he at least has a bigger upside then the rest.

It feels and looks like our team did too much time in the dojo and not enough time in the gym, fuck we look small this year...

Renouf looked much bigger last year (could be the hair though)...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You could sign someone like Kenny without having to guarantee a starting spot because any decent hooker would know they are better than JMK or Katoa (if re-signed). I would even go with a untested rookie over the likes of JMK and Katoa.
So we sign someone like Kenny with all intentions to be our back up so we either lie to him or don't give him all the information. He'd rather be Panthers utility than ours.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So we sign someone like Kenny with all intentions to be our back up so we either lie to him or don't give him all the information. He'd rather be Panthers utility than ours.
Who said anything about lying? You tell him there’s a position in NRL wide open for him and if he’s good enough it’s his. He would see the path is much easier here than at Penrith.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Who said anything about lying? You tell him there’s a position in NRL wide open for him and if he’s good enough it’s his. He would see the path is much easier here than at Penrith.
Yep and then we go out and sign Brandon Smith. I guess if we miss out it's better than our current options BUT we're F'd next year if we don't sign a top hooker. Also I said lie OR don't give him all the information, he wouldn't be signed as an ideal starter for next year (back-up). I think Kenny would be looking for a starting position at this point (again, probably easier here regardless).

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep and then we go out and sign Brandon Smith. I guess if we miss out it's better than our current options BUT we're F'd next year if we don't sign a top hooker.
For sure it’s a top priority to get it sorted and I can’t see us challenging for the 8 until we get a genuine hooker.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There will be players across the clubs currently playing flegg who will be quality first graders next year. Most have missed a year of footy so it will be up to talent identifiers club recruitment to do the hard yards of watching as many games as possible. Dogs have burton and addo carr, a good start for 2022, and lots of spots available. Patience n due diligence. No more panic buys! This year's roster is still bottom 4, unless some coaching magic has happened.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Liddle is off contract hes going pretty good

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I really don't get how anyone would want to re-sign JMK or Sione Katoa even for depth after what they have dished up over the last few years.

Even as depth hookers they both don't cut the mustard.
Who do you get for depth then?

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Our roster is a total dud and the six again Vlandyis fraud rule has compounded it.

Barrett's spine recruits I'll give a pass mark but the forward recruits are dire.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I wouldn’t keep any of them. At the start of the year I would have said yes to Ogden and Atoni but after two rounds they haven’t impressed
I'm with you on that one. It's hard to compete when over half of your top 30 aren't even FG standard.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our roster is a total dud and the six again Vlandyis fraud rule has compounded it.

Barrett's spine recruits I'll give a pass mark but the forward recruits are dire.
Even back in his Manly days Tbaz would go top shelf for the backline and bargain bin shopping for the pack.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Our biggest problem so far this season 2 games in is, we basically have a new spine and a lot of players who have never played together. We aren’t organised enough yet.
Is there another team in the comp with a spine and new faces as fresh together as ours?
There are a couple of other sides that don’t have any excuses. Glad we ain’t them.
It sucks right now but they need time to work it out. A building year.
Was always going to happen. Yes we need a good hooker, that would help a lot, but we all know there are fuck all around at the minute. Dietz with some extra time in the grade could be a thing or depth going forward.
A good prop or two, a centre are also needed.
Don’t know where the props will come from, though Schoup looks like he could have a crack at centre.
I’d be careful cutting off contract players too much for next season as our next big problem will be depth.
Better to have some players who have played the grade for depth then debutants. I’d offer them reduced contracts to stay.
Time will tell this season and I think they need at least 10 games together to get things going.
It’s a building year. Some will put there hands up and some won’t, Barrett will keep building for next year and hopefully some team work and signings will happen along the way.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was thinking having a look at the players off contract this year as it’ stands we have 18
Let’s imagine you have a chair at the table with baz about who we keep and piss off I believe a lot of players have 4-6 weeks to prove there worth keeping. But in saying that we have to do the best we can with what they have
Of this list who you keeping ?
Renouf Atoni, Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Tyrone Harding, Will Hopoate, Paul Karaitiana, Sione Katoa, Tui Katoa, Lachlan Lewis, Jeremy Marshall-King, Nick Meaney, Dylan Napa, Ofahiki Ogden, Jayden Okunbor, Chris Patolo, Kurt Picken, James Roumanos, Chris Smith

Personally okonbur, tui katoa chris smith are the only ones worth keeping I think I also know we don’t have the luxury of promoting juniors from nsw cup like we could years ago
Okunbor, yes but with the rest surely there are better quality players available for the right price.