Our Forward Pack

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bashed the Titans in sadly what was one of the worst performances by a modern rugby league team. Destroyed in other two games. 3/10
Naaaa we have played much worse in previous seasons.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Size doesn't win you games.

Penrith have won 3 Comps in a row and they don't have a monster sized forward pack. They just play like monsters.
Exactly, as the old saying goes,
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog..!"

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It is fair to say yes! As Doggfather said .. he kicked early and it put the Tits under alot of pressure , especially Boyd…. He got no time an was completely swamped. Great team effort, what we’ve missed.
I agree, that was Reeds best game in our colours , this is now the standard for him for the remainder of the season

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Size doesn't win you games.

Penrith have won 3 Comps in a row and they don't have a monster sized forward pack. They just play like monsters.
Its not size but quality. Moses and JFH are top tier in the middle and punch out big minutes. They own the middle when they are on. We have great young edge in Presto and an elite edge in Kikz with Curran, Salmon and Mann working hard in the middle. We just need some support for King

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Exactly, as the old saying goes,
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog..!"
JFH and Leota are listed at 103kgs and 107kgs.

They just play like absolute madmen.

Look at Penriths starting second rowers. Martin and Sorensen, both are 100kgs.

Our starting five (didn't count the hooker) actually out weighed Penriths starting five. Size helps but it's not the be all and end all.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its not size but quality. Moses and JFH are top tier in the middle and punch out big minutes. They own the middle when they are on. We have great young edge in Presto and an elite edge in Kikz with Curran, Salmon and Mann working hard in the middle. We just need some support for King
100 percent.

How good is it coming on here after a win, on a Sunday? Just makes my weekend lol A good win too.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree, that was Reeds best game in our colours , this is now the standard for him for the remainder of the season
It was his best game but He has to straighten up he was only direct once in that game and it led to the Taffe try, I am also starting to think that Critta is carrying an injury, we never shift left and it looks like an attempt to keep him out of contact.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will find out later in the year. If we cop an injury to kikau we'll be in trouble. I'd love just a different framed forward that really takes a few players to bring down every hit up.. a Paulo style prop would do wonders to our team

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was his best game but He has to straighten up he was only direct once in that game and it led to the Taffe try, I am also starting to think that Critta is carrying an injury, we never shift left and it looks like an attempt to keep him out of contact.
That's the button effect

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Coming into the season most if not all questioned our lack of size and potential forward. I read countless concerns about us being constantly overpowered and ultimately steamrolled by bigger packs.

How would you say we've done so far though?

My concern has never really been about the size too much, but the defensive structures and it seems as though defensively we're really working together and towards our strengths?
History tells us we can learn to defend successfully with smaller forwards, it's the impact needed from the big props is what's missing, they would make life a lot easier for the rest of the team !

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
History tells us we can learn to defend successfully with smaller forwards, it's the impact that's needed from the big props is what's missing, they would make life a lot easier for the rest of the team !
Sam Hughes needs a rev up to bring out his ability? :grinning:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We should not underestimate the effect on the Titan's forwards of Burton's long kicks from deep in our 30. It has a double effect, firstly they have to run back 50/60/70 metres which physically tires them out. It was taking them 2/3/4 play the balls before they were back onside. Secondly it's mentally demoralising, they work their asses off getting off the line, tackling, slowing the play ball down, keeping us inside our 20/30, then it's all for nothing when Burton boots a missile way down field. Then they have to work it out of their 10/20/30 all over again.

That's a big reason why their forward pack was next to ineffective. Want to now why they didn't "take it up the middle" very often, they were too tired, both mentally and physically.

Always a Bulldog

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Terrell May is exactly what we need - an aggressive starting prop. Now his bro has re-signed with the Panthers he's worth offering an extra couple of hundred grand to because it will still save cap compared to what the package deal would have cost plus we didn't really need Taylan either.

Hopefully we're a bit under the cap currently and we have to work out who we re-sign out of those below. Obviously Topine is gone. I'd also move on Patolo, Perham and Tetevano. That should give us enough to sign Terrell. If not then move on Knight also

Liam Knight, Chris Patolo, Hayze Perham, Toby Sexton, Jeral Skelton, Zane Tetevano, Jackson Topine

Last edited:

MosDef

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
They’ve held their own but would prefer if we get Sam Hughes minutes on each side of the half instead of bringing him on with 20-25 mins in the game. We will tire out Max King if we keep using him the same way.