Our Attack?

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday against Cowboys our attack was as predictable and unimaginative as it has been for the past few years.

One out running by forwards.
Flat footed backs receive the ball on the 3rd / 4th tackle.
No depth, no decoys, no motion.

We do the same thing when we have 6 tackles 10m out from the goal line. Why are we giving it to forwards for 3, 4 tackles?

Hetherington had his arms free to pass many times in the game - no-one backing up, no bodies in motion.

Our backline is standing flat - JAC is even getting in front of Naden.

There was a scrum 8 mins to go, 10m out from their line - Burton, Naden, JAC set left virtually man on man. We go right (ffs) then play 3 forward plays at the line - moment killed.

We look disorganized around the rucks.
Glad we got the win but we have a lot to do.

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We’ve only looked like scoring when Burton gets involved, he needs to take control in good ball or we don’t score it’s that simple. He was tackled on the 4th a few times last night, that can’t happen anymore.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It will get better as combos form is the insight I took from last nights second half .. once they gel every game all year they should get better and better and improve massively. Again is what I hope will happen.!!

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
There is way more potential with this years roster. The one thing I don’t understand is when we’re in perfect field position to score on the 2nd or 3rd the boys just don’t pull the trigger. They use up all 5 tackles even when were camped on oppositions try line. I find my self screaming at the tv PULL THE FKN TRIGGER ALREADYY!!!!! JUST GO!!!!!

Last edited:

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Watch the game again separate from the emotion. There are some good signs, we probably left 24 points out there tbh.

The timing will get better with game time together, but we still don't go through the backs enough in good ball positions.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday against Cowboys our attack was as predictable and unimaginative as it has been for the past few years.

We do the same thing when we have 6 tackles 10m out from the goal line. Why are we giving it to forwards for 3, 4 tackles?

Hetherington had his arms free to pass many times in the game - no-one backing up, no bodies in motion.

There was a scrum 8 mins to go, 10m out from their line - Burton, Naden, JAC set left virtually man on man. We go right (ffs) then play 3 forward plays at the line - moment killed.

Yep. I noticed the same things as you.
Its been the same mentality since the 90s. The only time it changed was with Sherwin-Anasta or Kimmorley calling for the ball.

We are without doubt the ugliest playing team in the comp. Dont let last nights win fool you. The opposition was just poorer on the night.

We look completely uncoached or we train to play this dumb and ineffective way.

I tend to blame Barrett, JMK, Burton and Averillo. Between them, they should be able to identify this ongoing problem and do something about it.

I watch our games and inside the 20m, i just wish we could replace our forwards with backs - NFL style

silva

Utility
Reaction score
A few times burton had the ball in their 20 and held it without passing because there was no one in a better position. I feel like they just treated yesterday as must win and the clever players in the side weren’t willing to take risks.
Burton and Dufty need to get good quick ball with shape outside and options. Hopeful it will be much improved over the next few weeks.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought Burton and Dufty showed promise of things to come as the understanding improves. Avo looked to run the ball with some intent, but I would love to see him go looking for the game more.

Hetho looked pissed off a couple of times not to have support, maybe Thompson should follow him and TPJ around. JAC looks to be a little lame, I hope there is no hidden injury..

I would play Cook at 9 and JMK or BBO in 14.

The big question for me is how long can they keep the guys up and emotionally committed like round 1? Will the same desperation in D be there in round 2 or more importantly 3,4 5 and 6 when we play last years top 4 teams..

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score

Think this was a combination of factors. Getting anally reamed by Cummins in the 1st half (and resorting to same old, same old in disgust), humidity and 1st game for the year (u ever seen Jacko get subbed b4 in the first half for being out of breath?) and a lack of spine leadership (which we now have 2 new spine members).

Agree about the 4th tackle settler. Its a fckng joke.

Think if you had a ball playing half who takes on the line and Hetho runs off his hip, that late pass is a winner. On a cooler day, those runners will learn to be there. Thought Hetho did good things on the fringes will some crappy service.

If JAC is in front of Naden, he's expecting a kick.

The scrum you are talking about is when Burton got trapped on the 1st. They lost direction for that whole set. Looked like a set move had broken down badly and it flowed from there.

Yep - played shite and got the lollies. Happy days.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whilst we officially only scored one try, we did have two 5050 fall against us …we are creating opportunities and Burton was noticeably far more involved than he was in the trial.

We showed some variation where Burton and Dufty loaded up on the right at times and some trick plays on the last with Burton and BBO which didn’t come off.

I have far more confidence in our attack with the new recruits than last year.

Give them time at least 4-5 games to get used to playing together

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We’ve only looked like scoring when Burton gets involved, he needs to take control in good ball or we don’t score it’s that simple. He was tackled on the 4th a few times last night, that can’t happen anymore.
That’s the blueprint to beating us. Tackle Burton on the 4th so whoever is lined up next to him in the halves has to choose a 5th tackle option, knowing full well they can’t kick or play as well as Burton. Until we have a decent halfback, it’s how I expect a lot of games will go against us.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Yeh I was thinking the same thing, I really thought with the preseason, the new squad and addition of Gus Gould we would have made significant and noticeable improvements in the way we play.

We looked so predictable and clunky last night.
Barrett transformed penriths attack so he’s got some ability as a coach but I’m wondering whether he is able to build relationships with his players, really good relationships were the players want to play for their coach and building the dynasty.

As someone else said in another thread , our star recruits were looked very average compared to how they played at their previous clubs.

And I hope the Averillo experiment ends soon, he’s a talented player but he’s not a halfback.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Watch the game again separate from the emotion. There are some good signs, we probably left 24 points out there tbh.

The timing will get better with game time together, but we still don't go through the backs enough in good ball positions.
I saw a few times Burton and Avo talking and trying to set up plays, with Burton switching sides to take the defence by surprise

It was their first game, it'll take some time but that combo will get stronger

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The conditions were terrible.. rain, high humidity and high temperature yet we still created more try scoring chances than the Cowboys. We've also changed the way our spine links up compared to last season and the trials and there were a few good moments that we can build off.

There's obvious issues like JMK's awful service, not having an out and out on field general, lack of polish and chemistry, too many dead plays, etc...but people need to be realistic, we're not a top 8 team right now so don't expect us to play like one. We're hopefully building towards that this season and have continued to recruit key players that address our current weaknesses.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are way to flat in attack always but particularly in the attacking 20. With way too much sideways running.

A simple solution is depth with everyone running straight at speed. Giving the playmakers options. Also making the defender’s make decisions.

The way we play and have played for the last few years. Going sideways and slow is so easy to defend against.

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That’s the blueprint to beating us. Tackle Burton on the 4th so whoever is lined up next to him in the halves has to choose a 5th tackle option, knowing full well they can’t kick or play as well as Burton. Until we have a decent halfback, it’s how I expect a lot of games will go against us.
Unfortunately the good teams will work us out very quickly unless there is constant threats from either our 1, 7, 9 or 13. Penrith had Manly figured out before they’d even played a game.

Weak Gutted Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The conditions were terrible.. rain, high humidity and high temperature yet we still created more try scoring chances than the Cowboys. We've also changed the way our spine links up compared to last season and the trials and there were a few good moments that we can build off.

There's obvious issues like JMK's awful service, not having an out and out on field general, lack of polish and chemistry, too many dead plays, etc...but people need to be realistic, we're not a top 8 team right now so don't expect us to play like one. We're hopefully building towards that this season and have continued to recruit key players that address our current weaknesses.
I liked it when the swing around to the left side and had Averillo and Burton combine.
We have as you say changed structure from last year.
JMK is terrible but BBO adds spark.
Dufty is a much better fb than we have had for some time too.

And don’t forget burtons goal from sideline which won us the game

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our attack has not improved in 5 years. Same dribble. Same shitness. Are we cursed? Havent we cleaned out the entire staff by now? Is jackson the curse? Being one of the last if not last from the era?

Or is it that Barrett and his team are shit house coaches and couldnt coach a newborn to breastfeed?

Yesterday's win comes with worse prospects moving forward as gives barrett more time. Which clearly he wont know what to do with.

Im very happy the players won as they did. But moving ahead its probably a trap.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton needs to get his hands on the ball a bit more but it was awful conditions and only round 1 let’s hope they get it sorted