Opal Tower Crumbling

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
NSW Government to the rescue.

$3,000,000 pledged to cover the repair bill of the building and also to cover living expenses and rent for the families affected. They will be living in alternate accommodation for a month at least.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

$3,000,000 pledged to cover the repair bill of the building and also to cover living expenses and rent for the families affected. They will be living in alternate accommodation for a month at least.
Lucky buggers... I wonder what will happen when it inevitably happens next time? Can’t keep giving handouts

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

Can't help but feel that $3 million could go to better things.

Make the developer/buuilder pay to repair it.

Wahesh

Reaction score
This is shit... quite literally!

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...rramatta-apartment-block-20190724-p52afv.html

Residents evacuated after septic spray leaks into Parramatta apartment block

Residents of Parramatta's tallest tower complex have been told to evacuate some apartments after septic sewage began leaking into the premises on Tuesday night.

Meriton, which manages the $450 million Altitude towers on Church Street, told the Herald that four residents were affected by a plumbing incident but said it was an isolated issue.

One eighth floor resident, who asked to remain anonymous, said his brother stayed awake all night throwing out buckets of water as the sewage seeped into their apartment, after they notified building security of the leak at 7.30pm on Tuesday.

He said about midday Wednesday "we were informed that we will have to be kicked out of our apartment, with no promise of a compensation".

"The alternative offered to us was another apartment in the building which we have accepted due to financial, resource, time and mental health constraints," he said.

"The room became soaked ... We have already been exposed to septic at this point."

Fourth floor resident Erica called 2GB on Wednesday afternoon after she was also told to leave her apartment due to a "major health concern".

She said she saw a "massive spray" come out of the building on Tuesday night, and was later advised by management that the puddles it created in her apartment were septic.

A termination notice issued to Erica by Meriton Property Services on Wednesday said "the untreated sewage has damaged the fixtures and fitting and has made the premises unsafe to inhabit".

"My bed and my room mate's bed and all of our belongings have now been infected with septic and we are now going to have this issue for the next week," she told 2GB.

"This is just ridiculous with everything that’s happening with buildings, and they've just put us on the street after there's a major issue of us getting really sick."

Erica said she has lived in the apartment since 2017, which was when the tower was completed.

A Meriton spokesperson said the company, which does not own the building, "acted quickly when it was alerted of the incident last night".

The leak originated in an empty apartment on the building's ninth floor.

"It was an isolated plumbing incident caused by a blocked pipe. Sanitary products caused the blockage," the Meriton spokesperson said.

"Meriton will offer alternative accommodation at Meriton Suites. The incident affected four residents. One resident has already relocated to another apartment in the building."

Residents of faulty unit blocks have described issues with plumbing and crumbling facades, among other issues, in submissions to a NSW parliamentary inquiry into construction standards.

Their revelations coincide with the emergence of safety fears at a fifth Sydney apartment building, amid rising pressure on the state government to address concerns about industry standards.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I don't think the blame here lies with the building company entirely though. They said that sanitary products blocked the pipes (things such as nappies, wet wipes etc...) however I'd like to know how the series of pipes in the building are connected if a resident on another floor can get affected.

I was under the impression that each apartment (or at the very least each floor) would have an independent network of pipes that run into the common sewage system of the building.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd rather live in a Brazilian favela than a Sydney apartment.

I would feel much safer.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I'd rather live in a Brazilian favela than a Sydney apartment.

I would feel much safer.
I certainly wouldn't move into any apartment, town house or villa build from 2000 onwards. Even some built in the 90s are sketchy.

If I'm ever in a position to build a house, I wouldn't have a project home or use a major construction company either - I'd use a private builder.

Last edited:

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't mind into any apartment, town house or villa build from 2000 onwards. Even some built in the 90s are sketchy.

If I'm ever in a position to build a house, I wouldn't have a project home or use a major construction company either - I'd use a private builder.
I'd prefer to live in a favela but so long as the ratio of women outweighs the men!
Sydney really blows for that reason.

I swear theres too many men in this city.

Apparently theres a shortage of Russian men in Russia?
Well ffs start sending their women here to balance things out!

People wonder why theres so many faggets in Sydney?
Ive worked it out, theres not enough women to go around.

I went to ivy and marquee in the last month.
Sure there was a lot of women but I still noticed theres a shitload more guys around.

Its good if you're a woman but not so good for us men.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
the NSW Government owns 50 units in Opal tower, so a little self interest

Wahesh

Reaction score
the NSW Government owns 50 units in Opal tower, so a little self interest
The company that built it is held liable though, not so much about the government funding a rescue job like they did with Mascot Tower.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
Since the guvermunt owns 50 units is there any chance theyre going to turn it into a houso block for repeat offenders and the criminally insane?
Would be funny to see Olympic park turn into Miller.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Since the guvermunt owns 50 units is there any chance theyre going to turn it into a houso block for repeat offenders and the criminally insane?
I tend to think that Olympic Park is a dump already. It was built where the old gas works were because there was no room anywhere else in the Sydney Metro area for them to build a place that big. A lot of the things you see around the area like Bicentennial Park and all the bush land and swamps there etc... are all man-made.

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I tend to think that Olympic Park is a dump already. It was built where the old gas works were because there was no room anywhere else in the Sydney Metro area for them to build a place that big. A lot of the things you see around the area like Bicentennial Park and all the bush land and swamps there etc... are all man-made.
Yes I'm well aware.
I like how on the outskirts near Newington they have landscaped dirt mounds near Haslams creek instead of properly disposing of them!

Still not as ugly as those rusted out water pipes at Potts hill on the old waterboard site.

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
affordable housing or public housing of some type