Okunbor and Meaney to shine as dogs get there 1st win

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Credit given where due. Meaney and Okunbor both took the opportunity given to them with both hands and stamped their claim on their jerseys for next week as a result.

That's not to say they had the perfect debut, and there are still things in their game that need fine tuning/tweaking (which I did mention earlier in this thread).

Meaney needs to learnt to put his body on the line. He does that today diving at Fonua, and he saves a try. Also needs to start sniffing around for the offload in attack.
Okunbor luckily wasn't kicked in behind today but teams will exploit that. With Vunivalu and Addo-Carr next week things step up another notch against Storm.

Okunbor towards the end was cramping up hard, and he does need to be careful to not come too far off his wing.
How does that Tigers jumper fit mate ???

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It definitely dented our own attack (his first few passes were so high...)

But to be fair, at the time he came on there was a heap of momentum against us and some injuries manifested right around the same time. At least he is a solid defender so he was able to do that job when he came on.
We had a prime attacking opportunity and that plank of timber hit 4 one of the ruck runs to nowhere Elliot twice tolman and out to the backs
I seen Foran getting up him a few times we had good luck attacking out the back today

Kila R Ralai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the Team that will beat tigers. Dean Pay has finally put a team together to get the dogs back to winning form. You can laugh but I’m am in full support of the dogs to win.
Wow...what a prediction...good on you mate.

ek999

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
and when Meaney drops the first spiral bomb leading to a try (like last week)?
and when Okunbor leaves his wing and Thompson/Fonua fly on by (like last week)?

Meaney and Okunbor have serious issues that (unless solved this week in training), are going to lead to leaking points.

We don't need team changes, we need a miracle.
Honest question - how do you manage to be wrong as often as you are?

greenacre kiwi

Waterboy
Reaction score
meaney has a change of pace when he accelerates that we have been missing since epic bender boy.
okunbar needs to commit his shoulder more and less grabbing but great game from both.
hopa needs to stop raking the ball when marking becuse his success rate is bad.
holland struggles with big power centres and needs to address this

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okunbur had a few errors in defense but he was like our Fergo in attack.
He took a lot of hard carries and did well with it.
Showed maturity in holding that pass on his break down the sideline.
Lachlan Lewis worked extremely hard in defense yesterday too, well done mate.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Meaney's pace added so much from the back and makes it easier for the rest of the team..

He's tough and gets involved which is great to see but it does worry me just how slight he is and how he got pushed backwards a few times on kick returns where he ran it hard into multiple defenders..

If he can avoid that more, and get an angle on the returns like he did where he broke through then he can use his pace and elusiveness more effectively.

But it was a very good club debut and it's great to have an exciting, pacey fullback again.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
meaney has a change of pace when he accelerates that we have been missing since epic bender boy.
okunbar needs to commit his shoulder more and less grabbing but great game from both.
hopa needs to stop raking the ball when marking becuse his success rate is bad.
holland struggles with big power centres and needs to address this
How exciting was that to see! It's been a while. In my mind a fullback MUST have not only pace but a turn of speed. Brought back memories of the great Rocket Rod Silva.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney with some room looks very promising, He's put all teams on notice now if we get a sniff with a loose ball. His maturity to keep the ball and swerve looking for support and to have both hands on the ball to feint a pass is something you can't teach and is natural.
Not sure if it's part of his game but i would love to see him trail the forwards more that take a hit-up, I saw Elliott and CHN bend the line and there was a window for an offload.
Okunbor had a really strong game and was like an extra forward for us with those metres, i noticed they didnt kick to him that often because just like a Corey Oates he would really return the ball with some gusto.