Okay, lineup for 2022

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
exactly, middles play as middles in the middle 3rd of the field. I dont think speedy understands how this works.
I know what middles do. Thommo did not do that. He was way more effective when he ran wide.
Did you ever watch his games or maybe his replays. He is vastly more effective when he plays wider.
Thats why he scored so many tries. To use him as a battering ram is just wasting his talent.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I know what middles do. Thommo did not do that. He was way more effective when he ran wide.
Did you ever watch his games or maybe his replays. He is vastly more effective when he plays wider.
Thats why he scored so many tries. To use him as a battering ram is just wasting his talent.
speedy as already stated he did not play wider, middles stick to the middle. He score his tries through the middle 3rd. i dont think you understand the structure of the game with middles and edge forwards and their roles.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
speedy as already stated he did not play wider, middles stick to the middle. He score his tries through the middle 3rd. i dont think you understand the structure of the game with middles and edge forwards and their roles.
I wont bother responding as you dont seem to understand what I write. Maybe the words are to big for you.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wont bother responding as you dont seem to understand what I write. Maybe the words are to big for you.
No, you need to explain yourself better.

Just so we have it straight.. can you confirm the below?

Luke Thompson, despite exclusively being named in the front row or lock and occasionally on the bench as a prop his entire career, has been engaged in a secret ruse from his multitude of coaches to trick and fool the opposition into thinking he was playing front row, but has secretly been playing as a 3rd edge back rower running off other prop forwards that would in theory have to work 33% harder to cover Luke hiding out on the edge?

I've looked at every game hes ever played through rj project and he has played in the 2nd row 5 times in 193 games played.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No, you need to explain yourself better.

Just so we have it straight.. can you confirm the below?

Luke Thompson, despite exclusively being named in the front row or lock and occasionally on the bench as a prop his entire career, has been engaged in a secret ruse from his multitude of coaches to trick and fool the opposition into thinking he was playing front row, but has secretly been playing as a 3rd edge back rower running off other prop forwards that would in theory have to work 33% harder to cover Luke hiding out on the edge?

I've looked at every game hes ever played through rj project and he has played in the 2nd row 5 times in 193 games played.
I agree on one point. He was always rostered as a prop with Walmsley on the other side.
He took the ball up on the first few sets and then he transitioned into a wide runner. He received good ball from his supports,
especially from Walmsley, and he scored a lot of tries doing that.
He is better suited to running the ball and not being a battering ram type player. Vaughn and probably Patolo should make up the front row.
If he is used as a battering ram, it negates his great running ability. I prefer him and TPJ in the back row with Jackson as 13.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
@Bulldogsteve @speedy2460

For what it's worth I think you're both right.

Thompson is really a play 2 or 3 middle. In the ideal world I think he plays 13 for us and plays like a Union loose forward, trying to run wide and exploit mismatches. The question then becomes: where does Jackson fit?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Thompson is really a play 2 or 3 middle. In the ideal world I think he plays 13 for us and plays like a Union loose forward, trying to run wide and exploit mismatches. The question then becomes: where does Jackson fit?
Thompson has 0 passing game so he really isn't an option for us at lock.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Agree. He is better receiving the ball after a big run and offload ala Walmsley. Surges thru and finds holes and has some footwork.

With him at 13 its problematical if Baz wants the big 5/8 type linking lock role. Thommo ain't that.

He prefers frontrow apparently. Baz needs to adapt his gameplan to allow for Thommo's strengths.

He is somewhat of a conundrum in our team, now that we have some long awaited options in the forwards that can do the middle hit ups, so must be used right.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree. He is better receiving the ball after a big run and offload ala Walmsley. Surges thru and finds holes and has some footwork.
With him at 13 its problematical if Baz wants the big 5/8 type linking lock role. Thommo ain't that.
He prefers frontrow apparently. Baz needs to adapt his gameplan to allow for Thommo's strengths.
He is somewhat of a conundrum in our team, now that we have some long awaited options in the forwards that can do the middle hit ups, so must be used right.
Thompson needs an "alfa" prop to play off, that's what Walmsley provided at St Helens. That's not Hetherington's game (lacking experience & size) and that left him stuck with Napa FFS. Vaughan is a vastly different animal (6'4' & 110+kgs) , he should provide what we have been missing, someone for Thompson to play off. If they can work with each others strengths then together they should make a quality combination.

Always a Bulldog

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thompson needs an "alfa" prop to play off, that's what Walmsley provided at St Helens. That's not Hetherington's game (lacking experience & size) and that left him stuck with Napa FFS. Vaughan is a vastly different animal (6'4' & 110+kgs) , he should provide what we have been missing, someone for Thompson to play off. If they can work with each others strengths then together they should make a quality combination.

Always a Bulldog
What a shame they aren't on the training paddock together right now...

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thompson has 0 passing game so he really isn't an option for us at lock.
True, but we have to walk before we can run. A starting middle of Thompson, Jackson and Vaughan/TPJ won't win the middle, which makes playing a pivot 13 redundant.

A starting middle of:
8. Vaughan
10. TPJ
13. Thompson

Is actually competive. The extra ball playing can be figured out.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Imagine:
8. Haas
10. Thompson

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
True, but we have to walk before we can run. A starting middle of Thompson, Jackson and Vaughan/TPJ won't win the middle, which makes playing a pivot 13 redundant.

A starting middle of:
8. Vaughan
10. TPJ
13. Thompson

Is actually competive. The extra ball playing can be figured out.
We need Jackson because Thompson is weak as piss in defence.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the team to be balanced , we kind of need Asiata to start at lock. He’s literally the only forward we’re have that can pass, Jackson looks so unnatural in that role

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. Dufty
2. Addo Carr
3. Naden
4. Schoupp
5. Cotric
6. Burton
7. BBO
8. Thompson
9. JMK
10. Jackson
11. Hetherington
12. TPJ
13. Topine

14. Averillo
15. Vaughn
16. RFM
17. Patolo / Ava / King

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Dufty
2. Addo Carr
3. Naden
4. Schoupp
5. Cotric
6. Burton
7. BBO
8. Thompson
9. JMK
10. Jackson
11. Hetherington
12. TPJ
13. Topine

14. Averillo
15. Vaughn
16. RFM
17. Patolo / Ava / King
That would have to be the smallest middle in the comp. you need to find a balance

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Well said and totally agree. He can punch holes through “the middle” on the back if vaughn and TPJ