Rumour Oil/Inside Information/Prediction - Consolidated Thread

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hopefully we can get some clarity between the end of origin and 2 weeks afterwards.
The way I see it is this.

There's been so so much smoke from quite credible people on here that the deal with Burton is done, or extremely close to being done. If that's the case, and I do believe it's so, then we really shouldn't be waiting for 2 weeks afterwards.

Personally I expect more concrete information by the weekend. If it gets dragged out longer then I'd be concerned it's not going to happen.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reading between the lines...
JAC wants to play fullback.
TBaz believes he can be successful at fullback.
Souffs have Latrell.
I could see only one outcome, but who knows ?
Where will Averillo play if JAC plays fullbaCk?

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reading between the lines...
JAC wants to play fullback.
TBaz believes he can be successful at fullback.
Souffs have Latrell.
I could see only one outcome, but who knows ?
Jac would play on the wing if it neant playing wirh his shooting brothers

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
So this Spencer Leniu thing is gaining traction... I thought it was a gee up tbh... especially since they let Hetherington go and Tamou to tigers.
Has to be more to it. Existing cap pressure ie: are they still contributing $ for eg: RCG/Waqa along with cap creep for pay-rises for a quality 2020 campaign? Can’t just be blocked pathway agitation otherwise the Pennies would pony up to lock up the younger fellas and only release older players eg: Tamou, Mansour. As we found out the hard way, mistakes in roster management can seriously bite clubs on the arse.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Has to be more to it. Existing cap pressure ie: are they still contributing $ for eg: RCG/Waqa along with cap creep for pay-rises for a quality 2020 campaign? Can’t just be blocked pathway agitation otherwise the Pennies would pony up to lock up the younger fellas and only release older players eg: Tamou, Mansour. As we found out the hard way, mistakes in roster management can seriously bite clubs on the arse.
Yea that makes sense mate. Especially given Clearly Jr on reportedly $1m. Luai’s manager has got to be asking for decent coin as well. Don’t know if they would be paying much for RCG or Waqa for 2022 though that seems a bit excessive. If that is the case they are totally screwed for the current contract negotiations. I think it may be more of a case they have too many young guns all off contract at a similar time.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
PANTHERS PICKED APART BY RIVALS
Story James Hooper

The Penrith Panthers have quickly discovered the price of success with the club’s young gun roster being picked apart by rival NRL clubs since making the grand final.

Young gun rookie Daine Laurie is the latest player who has agreed to depart the club to join the Wests Tigers in 2022.

We all know how this rodeo goes. Laurie will now begin the process of agitating for a release to join the Wests Tigers for next year.

It doesn’t end there, either. Rookie prop Spencer Leniu and young gun five-eighth Matt Burton are both believed to be extremely close to agreeing to terms to join the Bulldogs.

Both will be immense losses.

Then throw in NSW Blues trio Jarome Luai, Stephen Crichton and Isaah Yeo all being off contract at the end of next year and all of a sudden the Panthers plan to retain everyone looks in serious trouble.

Perhaps the smarter play would have been to lock Luai in when they decided he was the best five-eighth ahead of Burton mid-season.
getting smokier in here

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They don't need to. There will be some brown paper bags under the table and the official line will be JAC was happy to remain a winger so he could play with his shooting bros in Redfern.
Just like Roberts walked away from a $550k deal because he needed to move away from Sydney.

A week later he meets with the tigers ‍♂‍♂

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yea that makes sense mate. Especially given Clearly Jr on reportedly $1m. Luai’s manager has got to be asking for decent coin as well. Don’t know if they would be paying much for RCG or Waqa for 2022 though that seems a bit excessive. If that is the case they are totally screwed for the current contract negotiations. I think it may be more of a case they have too many young guns all off contract at a similar time.
Agree mate, I’m sure departed player payments dry up by ‘21 latest, but regardless, it appears to be a lesson in roster management because if you have too many off contract at once it can be problematic. We’ve got ~14 off contract end of ‘21 - many of which we likely won’t want to retain so a different problem but their spots will still need to be replaced and I think the balance of the roster is something the club has been working towards. A difficult science to perfect!

Last edited:

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way I see it is this.

There's been so so much smoke from quite credible people on here that the deal with Burton is done, or extremely close to being done. If that's the case, and I do believe it's so, then we really shouldn't be waiting for 2 weeks afterwards.

Personally I expect more concrete information by the weekend. If it gets dragged out longer then I'd be concerned it's not going to happen.
I agree with you Tassie, it dragging on is becoming concerning.
But from a Panthers perspective -
First - They would want to ensure that Luai is contracted long term first, otherwise they risk losing both 5/8 options which would be stoopid.
Second - They will want to ensure that Cleary gets through tonight's game unscathed without a potential long term injury before that let one of their back ups "Burton" Go.

Last edited:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree with you Tassie, it dragging on is becoming concerning.
But from a Panthers perspective -
First - They would want to ensure that Luai is contracted long term first, otherwise they risk losing both 5/8 options which would be stoopid.
Second - They will wont to ensure that Cleary gets through tonight's game unscathed without a potential long term injury before that let one of their back ups "Burton" Go.
Well put and agree. Hadn't given your first point much thought, but makes sense. On that alone this whole saga could be dragged out much longer.

Though i doubt the club would ker that happen and imagine them telling him to commit or we'll walk.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
14 off contract in 21. For Barrett, its like going nuclear in a dunny and having to use a massive plunger to remove all the turd. Happy days for all dogs fans going forward.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Penrith didn’t even win the comp and are getting picked apart. Roosters win 2 in a row and still mange to keep all their players
Except for Mitchell, Ferguson, Napa, Lamb, Momirovski, Faamausili, O'Sullivan, Nu'uasala, Baptiste, Cornish, Tetevano, Matterson and of course Cronk who retired.

The Chooks typically change ~10 or so players every year, some they move on because there is someone better that they want, some want more money than they are wiling to pay, some even retire.

Go Dogs

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know he is supposed to start at fullback in 2021 who knows come 2022
Yep Baz has said if we signed him he would probably still play wing but on certain sets we would use him as a second fullback.

But it’s a long way off.