News Oh them Tigers

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Wests Tigers have defended their use of a stock image of American soldiers on the front of their commemorative jersey for this year’s Anzac Round.

Eagle-eyed fans shared on social media photos of the new jersey which features two unidentified soldiers in a desert environment.

But based on the uniforms and weaponry pictured the soldiers are American, not Australian, which has seen the club come in for criticism.

However the Tigers worked with Holsworthy Army Barracks in Sydney to create the design and have the ANZAC elements approved, with the photo - available for sale - meant to broadly “depict the modern-day soldier serving in a desert environment”.

“They’re carrying an M240B machine gun where the Australians have I think it’s an F89 and a MAG58,” Paul Kent explained on NRL 360.

“It’s a stock image that the Tigers have put on there, I’ve spoken to them today. Basically they’ve told us what’s happened is ... they collaborated with Holsworthy Army Barracks who saw all this, endorsed it.

“They’ve got the ANZAC flags, Australia and New Zealand flags, camouflage which is the Australian camouflage above the chevron on the jersey. They have rebranded it the ‘commemorative’ jersey rather than the ANZAC jersey.

“For the people who are blowing up that they’ve made an oversight and put American soldiers rather than Australian soldiers, it’s not the case, they’ve been through the Holsworthy Army Barracks and got that endorsed.

“I will say though, I am disappointed, I think a lot of people are disappointed they couldn’t find Australian soldiers to put on there.

“But certainly they wanted to have this sort of evocative image to symbolise the war that’s going on, and what’s going on in Afghanistan, Iraq, for so many years.”

The club also released a statement to Fox League.

“Wests Tigers has collaborated with Holsworthy Army Barracks, who have sighted and approved all collateral relating to the release of this jersey,” it read.

“The soldiers on the jersey simply depict the modern-day soldier serving in a desert environment.

“The image in question, which is a stock image, has been purchased under license by our official apparel partner.

“The final design was approved by NRL Licensing.

“The military camouflage pattern above the chevron on the jersey is an authentic replica of the Australian Army camouflage that has been digitalised and grey-scaled.

“Both the Australian and New Zealand flags are represented on the jersey’s shoulders, again honouring our ANZACs.

“Above all else, this jersey honours all Defence Force personnel who have served in recent conflicts in Middle East wars, who are so often underrepresented.

“The release of this jersey falls three weeks out from our Anzac Round clash against Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles at Campbelltown Sports Stadium in Round 8.”

1680652026437.png

1680652032492.png

Wahesh

Reaction score
Ok so I don't blame this squarely on the Tigers as there were a number of parties that stuffed up, including the NRL.

American soldiers aside, whichever idiot thought paying homage to our ANZAC soldiers but posting a photo on the jersey of MODERN soldiers is a moron as that's just as insulting, and does NOT commemorate what ANZAC Day stands for.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
What will they do next. Man seeing the Tigers continued errors it makes me appreciate, that even how bad the Dogs and club have been over the years, we never reach the Tigers level of embarrassment.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so I don't blame this squarely on the Tigers as there were a number of parties that stuffed up, including the NRL.

American soldiers aside, whichever idiot thought paying homage to our ANZAC soldiers but posting a photo on the jersey of MODERN soldiers is a moron as that's just as insulting, and does NOT commemorate what ANZAC Day stands for.
Anzac Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand that broadly commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders "who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations" and "the contribution and suffering of all those who have served"

Um, it does champ...

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Media are bagging them because they are the tigers, yes it’s a stuff up but they can still change it.

if it was south’s then nothing would be heard.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Its not a big deal really, but, yeah, its the Tigers. If there was going to be a stuff it, it will be them.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Anzac Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand that broadly commemorates all Australians and New Zealanders "who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations" and "the contribution and suffering of all those who have served"

Um, it does champ...
No, you're thinking of November 11 - that's the day we commemorate ALL our soldiers.

ANZAC Day is the day of the landing, and specifically for that day and what Australia went through entering WWI.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some tigers fans probably waiting to see the cameras thinking they’ve been punked since 2011

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Next they will be putting out a jersey with a known heterosexual man, for pride round.

Anyone tell them what the ANZ part of ANZAC means? Maybe its ANZACUS day?

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, you're thinking of November 11 - that's the day we commemorate ALL our soldiers.

ANZAC Day is the day of the landing, and specifically for that day and what Australia went through entering WWI.
Thats armistice day my man, end of ww1. Yes Anzac day signifies the day we landed in Gallipoli but it's a day for ALL our soldiers, old and new and not specific to any war...

Please read the quote again.. It is direct from the Anzac website so I'm not sure how or why you are confused

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Pom wearing the US jersey also haha.

Nate

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a fan of honouring Australia's involvement in recent Middle East wars
Whether or not you agree with the involvement they are still Australians who signed up to serve our country and have been killed or injured as a result. I think they should still be respected and honoured.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whether or not you agree with the involvement they are still Australians who signed up to serve our country and have been killed or injured as a result. I think they should still be respected and honoured.
I don't mean to disrespect them but if people judge the Americans and the British etc. for the military interventions in the Middle East on let's call it poor intelligence, then we should be judged, too... Would rather an old school ANZAC digger

Nate

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't mean to disrespect them but if people judge the Americans and the British etc. for the military interventions in the Middle East on let's call it poor intelligence, then we should be judged, too... Would rather an old school ANZAC digger
That’s fair, there’s definitely criticism to be thrown at the various governments involved. Anyway I agree, in typical Tigers fashion they have messed this up.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Tigers must use the same jersey designer as Manly.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How hard is it to go to the web and type in, "pictures of Australian soldiers..."
Fuck me dead, millennials and gen x,y and daaarrrrr are useless.
If you want it done right get a boomer to do it!

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are already apologies and have to create another jersey.