News October Update from the CEO, Chairman & Head Coach

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
With the start of pre-season fast approaching, we thought that it would be a good time to check-in and update you with some news that we believe is extremely positive and will help set the club up for success in the future.

An enormous amount of hard work has taken place in the off-season to make sure that we are preparing ourselves for an extremely positive year, on and off the field.

We would like to start with some news which we believe will excite all of our fans and is something that was very important to us as a club.
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs to bring back a NSW Cup team in 2022

This decision will see the Bulldogs go back to running run their own team in the NSW Cup in 2022, in addition to continuing their partnership with Mounties, to whom they will provide players and support.

The Bulldogs have a tremendous history at a reserve grade level, having won 10 Premierships throughout history, with the last coming in 2018, after a last gasp 18-12 victory over Newtown at a packed Leichhardt Oval.

Bringing the NSW Cup side back to Canterbury has been something that Chair John Khoury has worked tirelessly on since taking over the role :

"Bringing back our Reserve Grade side to Belmore is something that was very important to both the Board and all of our fans, and we are delighted that we have been able to achieve this for next season.

The decision will be beneficial in that it will allow us to create a full pathway from juniors all the way through to the NRL, and the NSW Cup side will be a vital part of that going forward.

We have a rich history of success at Reserve Grade level and that has always flowed through to the NRL. Our aim is to create depth and competition, and to return to being a club that develops its own players and brings them through the system.

We want to return to creating a winning culture here at Belmore, and we believe that this will be another step in the right direction in regard to getting there.

We will continue to partner with Mounties to provide support for their team in 2022, through the provision of players.

We thank both Mounties and the NSWRL for working with us to achieve this, and we look forward to seeing our players run out in Bulldogs colours this coming season.”
Football Update
Phil Gould and Trent Barrett have been working tirelessly since the end of the season to prepare for this upcoming pre-season period.

In addition to the decision to bring back our NSW Cup team in Canterbury colours, we have made some additional changes within our Pathways system, with the appointment of Shane Millard as the new Head Coach of the Bulldogs Academy and Pathways, and Gurpreet Singh as the new Pathways’ Head of Strength and Conditioning

Millard will work closely with the NRL coaching staff to ensure standards, methods and philosophies are passed down throughout all junior representative programs, in addition to mentoring all Junior Representative Coaching Staff.

He will also bring enormous experience, with his playing career spanning 272 First Grade matches with the Roosters, Western Suburbs, St George Illawarra, London Broncos, Widnes, Leeds and Wigan.

Singh has most recently been involved with the Cronulla Sharks, where he was Head of Performance for Academy and Pathways Programs, in addition to being involved with the NSW Rugby League Pathways Program over the past three years.

We believe that both appointments will greatly complement our current NRL Football program.
Community Update
It has been a massive period for the Bulldogs in the Community, with the Vaccination Hub at Belmore complementing the first-ever partnership between the Bulldogs and the Community Care Kitchens, which has seen former player Hazem El Masri lead the program and help deliver over 200 fresh meals per week to those people experiencing difficulties during the lockdown period.

In addition, The creation of the ‘Bulldogs by your Side’ program has allowed local primary school students to have ‘zoom’ calls with members of our current NRL squad.

On top of each of these programs has been the Vaccination Hub at Belmore, that has seen hundreds of members of the local community receive vaccinations in a ‘drive through’ system.

Dr Jamal Rifi, who has helped lead the program from its inception has been delighted with the positive effect it has had on making vaccinations more available in recent times:

“I knew that Partnering With the Bulldogs to establish a drive through vaccinations clinic at the iconic Belmore Sports Ground would be a game changer in encouraging our local community to be vaccinated in a safe and friendly environment .

I would like to thank the Bulldogs Chairman Mr John Khoury, and his Board Members, for facilitating the process and making the idea of a drive through system a reality. It has, and will always be, a pleasure to work with our beloved Bulldogs.”

Watch the Vaccination Hub video on bulldogs.com.au
We again thank you for your continued support.

There is some real excitement starting to take place at Belmore as the players return for pre-season training.

You are the most passionate and loyal Members in the game and as we all know : ‘Once a Bulldogs, Always a Bulldog’

With a great deal of hard work to do before the Christmas break, everyone will be making sure that no stone will be left unturned in preparation for next season.

Stay safe and well.

Sincerely,
John Khoury - Chairman, Aaron Warburton - Chief Executive Officer,
& Trent Barrett - Head Coach

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very important decision. I remember watching Barba and Reynolds carve up the Cup 2018 GF and both kicked onto to bigger and better things in first grade.

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nothing to do with Gus. JK voted against it from the start when he was a director. It was only $ motivated and he's been pushing to get it back since he's been the boss.

TAS

All In
Reaction score
I love the decision to have our NSW Cup team back in our colours. It was wrong to have ever decided to wear any other colours but the blue and white.

Slowly but surely our club is getting back on track.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The reserve grade news was expected, most of us saw it coming but good to see it finally confirmed. We're actually sounding like a professional club now compared to previous seasons, much better press release from us.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm glad they got the Reserves to be in Bulldogs colours and name again but it makes you wonder why they changed it in the first place. Aside from saving a few bucks. Anyway, I'm glad they righted a wrong. That in itself is something the previous admins wouldn't have done..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That's literally the only reason right there, it was always only ever about money with those snakes at the club.
Like I said, I'm glad they rectified it and it was only half a season of Mounties. I just hope all of the junior grades and Reserves aren't interrupted again because all of those players have been fucked around badly for the past two years and lost a lot of practice and game time which would slow down their development.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'm glad they got the Reserves to be in Bulldogs colours and name again but it makes you wonder why they changed it in the first place. Aside from saving a few bucks. Anyway, I'm glad they righted a wrong. That in itself is something the previous admins wouldn't have done..
It was done during the first Covid closure of the Leagues Club in 2020 when the grants stopped and The Football Club was subsequently able to stay in the black in 2020. It was only ever a short term deal of 2 years. Good to see reserves back in our colours after only one season without but a pretty clear sign that JK will axe the Mounties deal at the end of ‘22. Assume it means Mick Potter will coach the Bulldogs NSW Cup team and Mounties will make their own arrangements.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Like I said, I'm glad they rectified it and it was only half a season of Mounties. I just hope all of the junior grades and Reserves aren't interrupted again because all of those players have been fucked around badly for the past two years and lost a lot of practice and game time which would slow down their development.
Everything should be running fine next year, most won't give a shit about Covid and I doubt things will impact comps unless people start dropping dead in the streets lol.