Observation: Our Defence is the Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So I know you're probably thinking how can our defence be our issue, when our our points conceded are on par with the top teams and we're at the bottom for points scored?

Our biggest issue is our line speed in defence and it's costing us scoring points as a result in my opinion.

Our line speed in defence is non-extistant. We apply no pressure what-so-ever in defence and as a result we allow teams to complete sets extremely easily. Newcastle completed at one stage in the second half 13/13 and controlled all the possession as a result. There was a period there for about 25min where we were just in that trap of defence defence defence and having nothing sets in attack as our energy is sucked dry.

This is what happens to us week in and out. Our style of play actually invites any team with a chance to win at anytime of the game. We've actually made it almost impossible for us to smash a side because we at the least guarantee a side will complete 70%+ of sets and have more than 50% possession.

You can see it. We defend for what feels like all the game and then can't understand why we're poor in attack.

We need to be more aggressive and force errors in defence. We're not a side capable of buying a penalty, so the only way we're getting the ball in good territory is by forcing the opposing team's hand. Once we turned our defence around, I'm confident the points will come.

As I said, our style of defence almost always guarantees the opposing side is always in the game... thus no matter if we play Team 1 or Team 16 the result is always very similar.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're ranked 4th in defence! Our biggest problem is we've forgotten how to score tries! We rely on the opposition to f'up so we can score a try, otherwise it's defend, defend, defend!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I have brought this up a few times. We burn ourselves out because we put ourselves under too much pressure in defence. Look at how Jackson leads the line for the Blue compared to us. Huge difference and it's obviously a tactical decision by the supercoach.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Attack is the problem

Our problem is we have unimaginitive uncreative incompetent players in critical spine positions .. this has f***ed the attack

Fix the spine and watch us become contenders

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Attack is the problem

Our problem is we have unimaginitive uncreative incompetent players in critical spine positions .. this has f***ed the attack

Fix the spine and watch us become contenders
What rubbish. Changing our spine won't change shit unless the garbage systems are replaced. No spine would win a comp with these systems.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
No its the attack as if we finished off our attacking opportunities d wouldnt b an issue,we are so slow out wide

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree the line speed in defence is slow and allows other teams to eat up a lot of meters.
But they get gassed and as Gotenks said they put themselves under pressure.

What I did notice a lot yesterday was players not passing when we were in attack and they had plenty of time and a man they could pass to.
At least 10 times I counted yesterday.

Lack or confidence / over coached not to make a mistake. Whatever the season helps to make us so impotent in attack.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No its the attack as if we finished off our attacking opportunities d wouldnt b an issue,we are so slow out wide
Yep. If we complete half our attacking opportunities in the first half, doing all that defence in the second half would've been part of controlling the game to a respectable win.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Our biggest issue is Hasler.

He is the one that creates these game plans. He's never going to change things because that would be an admission.

At other clubs that would mean being moved on, here it means a contract extension.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chicken versus egg scenario really, poor attack gives other teams easy possession and our slow non pressure defence means we tire and have little juice left. Both are a problem. Our line defence is pretty good as we're not rushing up and back which is why the short kick off has been effective in defence.

Dogs1938

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Okay I understand we had poor defence but you got to understand we had no Klemmer, Jackson, graham, Eastwood and Brett Morris.. I do see it in other games but your wording seems to be just about this game. That period of 25mins they had the ball was from Ben cummins giving them a lift to the try line, surely we gotta let these reserve graders off the hook a bit?

terrylamb4lyfe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We were down a number of key players... and when you're not scoring points you tend to do alot more defending. Our players were stuffed at hafl time.

All things considered, our defense is fine IMO.

Dogs1938

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our biggest issue is Hasler.

He is the one that creates these game plans. He's never going to change things because that would be an admission.

At other clubs that would mean being moved on, here it means a contract extension.
Yes, I hundred percent agree with you on this. Des had two fresh men on the bench and never put them on until asipelli fine went on with 10 to go then Lichaa with 5 to go. Lmao we scored those two tries as soon as Lichaa went on.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
History shows that the Bulldogs are scrutinised harder than any other team. If we are fast off the mark and more aggressive in defence , we get penalised off the field. You only had to watch yesterday's game to see that a lost ball is automatically deemed a Bulldogs strip; while a strip is automatically deemed a Bulldogs lost ball. And pushing someone off the ball is is a greater offence than a deliberate trip. We don't need to be any more under the pump than we already are.

Better to sharpen up the attack with precise and crisp passing.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Okay I understand we had poor defence but you got to understand we had no Klemmer, Jackson, graham, Eastwood and Brett Morris.. I do see it in other games but your wording seems to be just about this game. That period of 25mins they had the ball was from Ben cummins giving them a lift to the try line, surely we gotta let these reserve graders off the hook a bit?
Every game I harp on it.
But NRL referring standards are abysmal!!!
That 5th tackle penalty when Jamie Burgher (not sure of spelling) just dropped the call is typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.