Nu Brown's interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Have you seen the interview by Zap with Nu Brown that popped up on the members site yesterday? Seems pretty clear from what Brown said that he came here to be a half and that he has some expectations around being the halves partner with Foran. Given he has a reasonable history with Lichaa which I assume extends into the junior reps and perhaps with Pay then it seems like our spine is going to be Mbye, Brown, Foran and Lichaa.

Maybe I am reading too much into it but he did seem pretty confident about it.

I'm sure someone smarter than me can put the link up - sorry.

N

Natboy

I’d like him to be given first shot to partner Foran. Good post Oatley dog and you’re very smart, just old mate haha

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Have you seen the interview by Zap with Nu Brown that popped up on the members site yesterday? Seems pretty clear from what Brown said that he came here to be a half and that he has some expectations around being the halves partner with Foran. Given he has a reasonable history with Lichaa which I assume extends into the junior reps and perhaps with Pay then it seems like our spine is going to be Mbye, Brown, Foran and Lichaa.

Maybe I am reading too much into it but he did seem pretty confident about it.

I'm sure someone smarter than me can put the link up - sorry.

I like the sound of that spine

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nu Brown is gun. Is also a great goal kicker which desperately need. His general kicking game is great long and short. He takes the line on, also runs all the way to the line before passing not 10 metres before it. Is also great in def as his played heaps of hooker and can step of both feet. Foran and Brown should definitely be our starting havles.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know its only one game vs shit opposition. But if anyone has any doubts about Brown then watch Samoa vs Tonga 2016 on youtube. MOM kick 3 goals hit the ball very sweetly. 2 try assists and about 4-5 forced dropouts.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This blokes average and shouldn't be promised anything at this stage. Cleeland outperformed him at Cronulla and has again outperformed him this season in reserve grade. Brown couldn't even nail down a starting spot for Samoa this WC. Sharks fans also couldn't care less about him leaving.

He looked promising early on his career however injuries have set him back and he never kicked on. He has also been shifted around positions and Flanno even considered playing him at lock off the bench for Cronulla until he got injured again.

I'm sure Pay will see how everyone goes before even considering who will partner Foran. We seem to have a fair few options and with rumours of Hastings joining us Pay obviously wants to experiment and hope that atleast 1 of the guys can step up as an NRL half.

Brown also microwaved his iphone because he though it would charge faster..

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
They definitely had some issues with overindulging on food & grog in camp.
They were the biggest disappointment of the World Cup for me
Yes I thought it was strange for him to say during the interview he was looking forward to getting back into training and getting some K's into his legs and getting fit. Sounds a lot like they didn't do much on the paddock between games which probably explains why they went so bad. He is still only 22 so he has plenty of life left in him yet. If we have the discipline this year that we all hope we do then he will hopefully step it up another couple of levels. His history with Lichaa will only help as well.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This blokes average and shouldn't be promised anything at this stage. Cleeland outperformed him at Cronulla and has again outperformed him this season in reserve grade. Brown couldn't even nail down a starting spot for Samoa this WC. Sharks fans also couldn't care less about him leaving.

He looked promising early on his career however injuries have set him back and he never kicked on. He has also been shifted around positions and Flanno even considered playing him at lock off the bench for Cronulla until he got injured again.

I'm sure Pay will see how everyone goes before even considering who will partner Foran. We seem to have a fair few options and with rumours of Hastings joining us Pay obviously wants to experiment and hope that atleast 1 of the guys can step up as an NRL half.

Brown also microwaved his iphone because he though it would charge faster..
If you put Cleeland there then who goal kicks for us? Plus who does the general play kicking as Forans hammies are fucked?

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Happy to have Brown in the mix but I still think Cleeland should get the first crack at partnering Foran this year the dude has earned it.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Pre Season will be where all this is decided.

I'd say it's a 3 way shootout:
Cleeland
Frawley
Brown

Lewis is still a little green in my opinion.

One will play NRL, the others in NSW Cup/State Championship. Though still fuck all from the NRl on how this second teir comp will work and where the under 20s (ex NYC) fits in. Will there still be 3 tiers with all clubs fielding 3 sides? Who knows!?!?!

Another option may end up with one of those three on the bench as impact player.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If you put Cleeland there then who goal kicks for us? Plus who does the general play kicking as Forans hammies are fucked?
I'm not saying we should put Cleeland in, atm i don't really know who should he there. All i'm saying is Brown shouldn't be considered as anything more than average at this stage i wouldn't be confident with him as a starting half at all. He doesn't really have any stand out qualities and to me looks far more suited as a utility as he can cover hooker, halves, centre and even run on as a small forward at lock.

Also if you are basing the selection on his general kicking and goal kicking ability, then Hastings (if he has actually joined us) is technically far better at both things. We also have Martin (who i think should get a shot) as another competent goal kicking option.

But yes with Foran in the side he's definitely going to need a halves partner that has a decent general kicking game and some decent pace and footwork.

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good on him!
Putting his hand up and saying fu Mbye- I want the halves position.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He's always looked bang average to me. Typical islander kicking game, no finesse, and rarely finds the grass with his long kicks. Just quietly he looks heavy for a hooker half, must be 95-100kg.

Cleeland deserves first crack imo, he's banged on the door without breaking in for far too long. Frawley has a handy kicking game but his passing is atrocious by FG halves standards.

sheep dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Pre Season will be where all this is decided.

I'd say it's a 3 way shootout:
Cleeland
Frawley
Brown

Lewis is still a little green in my opinion.

One will play NRL, the others in NSW Cup/State Championship. Though still fuck all from the NRl on how this second teir comp will work and where the under 20s (ex NYC) fits in. Will there still be 3 tiers with all clubs fielding 3 sides? Who knows!?!?!

Another option may end up with one of those three on the bench as impact player.
I dont think frawley should be in the mix give cleeland a run he looked pretty handy on youtube

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think he will surprise alot on here
1) mbye
6)brown
7)foz
9)lichha
Could be a good spine but will take time to gel

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he will surprise alot on here
1) mbye
6)brown
7)foz
9)lichha
Could be a good spine but will take time to gel
Totally agree with that spine. What do you guys about having an outside back off the bench Lee maybe? It covers us in case of HIA. Plus if we get an injury to the spine mbye or brown can move to another position while slots in at fb and lee comes on at centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.