Status
Not open for further replies.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=9022490

These are the numbers that show why Canterbury coach Des Hasler should be a leading contender for Dally M coach of the year.

Long-term injuries, multiple suspensions and the gruelling State of Origin period delivered the two-time premiership-winning mentor one of the most difficult paths to this year's finals.

A total 68 games combined have been missed by Hasler's starting 13 - at least double that of every other team in the top eight except South Sydney.

A season-ending pectoral injury to strike weapon Tony Williams takes up 11 of the missed games, however Hasler has also had to make do without James Graham, Brett Morris and Josh Reynolds for eight games each.

Their four-man Origin contingent of Trent Hodkinson, Josh Jackson, and the Morris twins also missed a pair of matches due to the representative season.

Despite the arduous run, the seventh-placed Bulldogs can clinch what would be a remarkable finals berth with a win over Newcastle on Saturday and few would rule out their chances of a second consecutive grand final appearance.

Star fullback Brett Morris believes there could be a big upside for the Bulldogs from those earlier woes.

"I suppose we have had a fair few injuries and suspensions, but it gave a lot of young guys opportunities to play some football and that helps the team," said Morris.

"We might've had some losses but it gave them a chance to play NRL.

"Coming into the finals you might have an injury and you need those guys to step up."

A staggering 783 games in total have been missed this season by the strongest 13-man line-ups from all NRL clubs - an average of roughly four games for each player.

Penrith were the only team to crack the 100-game mark, mainly due to long-term injuries to key men Matt Moylan, Jamal Idris, Brent Kite, Peter Wallace and Jamie
Soward.

Manly were the second hardest hit with 78, losing glue guys Jamie Buhrer and Brenton Lawrence early in the season.

Defending premiers South Sydney (49) were the only other side in the top eight to have lost over 40 games in their run-on side this year, however half of them come from the domestic violence ban on centre Kirisome Auva'a.

North Queensland (24) and Canberra (33) were the teams least affected by injuries and suspensions but the Cowboys' luck appears to have run out following the weekend injuries to key players James Tamou and Michael Morgan.

MOST GAMES MISSED DUE TO INJURIES AND SUSPENSION

Penrith - 105

Manly - 78

Newcastle - 72

Canterbury - 68

Warriors - 65

LEAST GAMES MISSED DUE TO INJURIES AND SUSPENSION

North Queensland - 27

Canberra - 31

Melbourne - 33

St George-Illawarra - 34

Sydney Roosters - 37

(figures for club's best 13 line-ups)

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Defending premiers South Sydney (49) were the only other side in the top eight to have lost over 40 games in their run-on side this year, however half of them come from the domestic violence ban on centre Kirisome Auva'a.

One player who was banned from last year.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...l-due-suspension/story-fniabob6-1227479308939

Had time to adjust to his loss. Other than that have had 18 games missed in total by other players.Luke, Walker and Reynolds for the most part.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have had very little luck with injuries and bullshit suspensions all year!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Love how the scum media are starting to jump on the wagon now! Pffft

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All other teams that have been severely hit with injuries and suspensions aren't in the 8. So we've done a bloody good job.
As unpopular as this sounds, Reynolds being constantly injured or suspended has actually given us the chance to unearth some real gems, namely Cook last week and Lane

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And people were saying sack des. Seriously this place is so bipolar. To be where we are when you look at that list. You have to give credit to des. Funny how our firm has started once we had a settled line up. Our combinations have built up and the continuity also. Exciting times ahead.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Every other team is going through it too. bad excuse.
Well the stats show that every other team in the top 8 haven't gone through what we have, not even close. We are almost double that of every team. The ones with injuries and suspensions similar to ours are not even in the 8.

Last edited by a moderator:

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
"Sack Hasler without having a better option!!!" We'll show him

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have had our run with injuries and suspensions, yet we are still in good shape for a tilt at the premiership..

This is why I cringe everytime I hear "sack Des"

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We seem to be close to healthy come September which is what you want, who cares about early in the yr. The nrl has proven that the healthiest roster in September and the team that hits form about 4-6 wks before finals are the teams that have been mostly holding up the trophy and we are slowly but surely starting to tick 1 box at a time. We should be primed for our last 2 games with 4th spot becoming a definite chance now. I have no doubt if we make top 4 we will win the comp this yr and give it a almighty shake even if we finish 5th or 6th....des hasnt been the most successful and most consistent coach along with Bellamy as a fluke, he deserves the accolades he gets. He knows how to get the boys primed when it counts bar grand finals ofcoarse lol

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have had our run with injuries and suspensions, yet we are still in good shape for a tilt at the premiership..

This is why I cringe every time I hear "sack Des"
Sack Des on the kennel is nothing more than a knee jerk reaction to losing but seriously anyone that says that we should sack Des should give them selves an upper cut!!!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Dickbag Dr McGuire will win coach of the year.

Either him or "Takeout Opposing Players as a Tactic Trent Robinson"

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
"Strike weapon Tony Williams"! You're fkn kidding me. That's where I stopped reading.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
As unpopular as this sounds, Reynolds being constantly injured or suspended has actually given us the chance to unearth some real gems, namely Cook last week and Lane
How does Reynolds being injured have anything to do with Cook or Lane being uncovered? Cook came in for Licha and Lane for Trex.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
And people were saying sack Des. Seriously this place is so bipolar. To be where we are when you look at that list. You have to give credit to des. Funny how our firm has started once we had a settled line up. Our combinations have built up and the continuity also. Exciting times ahead.
Yeah; well, I was one of those who held judgement when others called for Des' head. But I must admit that I was sorely tempted a few weeks ago to say that maybe he was the wrong coach for our player combination. I am prepared to go back to my original stance and see if he can get us through the usual awful Hunter Stadium performance we like to inflict on ourselves. If we beat the Knights with a good performance, I will stand by Des for the rest of his time with the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.