NRL Stadium Headache 2023

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
By Westpac stadium, i assume you mean what's now Sky Stadium i think? AKa the Cake Tin? It is N/S facing (albeit with a little bend).

The only major E/W stadium i can think of is Wembley? Is there a lack of sun in London in winter?

I guess with few games even being played in daylight anymore, E/W might not be as much of an issue, but it just doesn't seem right for some reason :grinning:

I do agree with Wahesh re the direct link to Belmore Station. I've said it before and i'll say it again, PT to all NRL games in Sydney should be free. There needs to be a mentality shift in Sydney when it comes to attending large events.
Need to clarify some things mate -

1) Virtually every NRL stadium in Sydney is East/West facing. Belmore is a stand out in its current positioning as of now.
2) My comment regarding the Cake Tin and its likeness was in reference to location to the train lines (see below image)
3) I personally could not give a stuff if its considered "hard to get too". Brookvale oval is a perfect example - no parking etc. But it is our spiritual home. I am all for taking the odd game to bigger stadiums - but imagine a 28-30k stadium in Belmore... would sound like a 100k stadium if we get 15k every week.

1656906998115.png

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
By Westpac stadium, i assume you mean what's now Sky Stadium i think? AKa the Cake Tin? It is N/S facing (albeit with a little bend).

The only major E/W stadium i can think of is Wembley? Is there a lack of sun in London in winter?

I guess with few games even being played in daylight anymore, E/W might not be as much of an issue, but it just doesn't seem right for some reason :grinning:

I do agree with Wahesh re the direct link to Belmore Station. I've said it before and i'll say it again, PT to all NRL games in Sydney should be free. There needs to be a mentality shift in Sydney when it comes to attending large events.
I know that PT is free for games at Homebush but yeah, they should make it for all games, especially ones at suburban grounds.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

1) Virtually every NRL stadium in Sydney is East/West facing. Belmore is a stand out in its current positioning as of now.
2) My comment regarding the Cake Tin and its likeness was in reference to location to the train lines (see below image)
3) I personally could not give a stuff if its considered "hard to get too". Brookvale oval is a perfect example - no parking etc. But it is our spiritual home. I am all for taking the odd game to bigger stadiums - but imagine a 28-30k stadium in Belmore... would sound like a 100k stadium if we get 15k every week.

View attachment 56157
Yeah it did get pretty loud, I can vouch for that. I used to live in Campsie on the far east side right near the border of Cantebury, and I could hear the noise coming from Belmore - so even though I was practically more than a suburb away, I could still hear the noise coming from there everytime the doggies played.

Man I loved the 90s.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

View attachment 56157
Understand what you're saying re Wellington. They do manage to squeeze it in there.

Every NRL ground runs either N/S or is tilted slightly to the NE/SW - Penrith appears to be most on an angle, but none could really be said to be E/W. (Eden Park is pretty E/W now that i'm, for some reason search stadiums on Google maps when i should be working).

Appreciate you not giving a stuff about games being hard to get to, but you only have to read comments here to see there is a lot of complaining about how hard stadiums are to get to! I certainly am knocking Belmore for its location by any means. When i lived in Marrickville many moons ago it was pretty easy to get there... Belmore and BankWest are now both almost 1000km from my house, so both bloody hard to get to these days :grinning:

So, in some sort of conclusion. Actually, i don't know where the hell i was going with this... I think it would be cool if a stadium could be rebuilt at Belmore somehow, but we all know it won't be happening.