News NRL Pre-Season Challenge: Bulldogs name halfback for match two

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By Zero tackle

The Canterbury Bulldogs have reportedly elected which player will join Matt Burton in the halves this weekend in their pre-season match.

News Corp has reported that Drew Hutchison will likely begin the game in the halfback spot for their Friday night match against the Cronulla Sharks over Toby Sexton.

This could be a valuable hint as to what direction Cameron Ciraldo is looking to go when the NRL season begins, as it will make the second week in a row that Hutchison has started over Sexton.

Recently, Sexton spoke to Zero Tackle about competing against Drew Hutchison and others for the vacant halfback position. While he didn't start last week, he had substantial game time and was impressive in the position.

"Yeah, it is," Sexton said when asked if the goal was to lock down a spot in the halves.

"The most crucial thing is just having a really good pre-season where I'm getting the good reps in.

"I'm developing both physically and mentally, and I'm putting myself in the best possible stage to be able to have a good 2024, and hopefully that's in the 17 as well."

It is understood that second-rower Viliame Kikau will also play in the game after missing last week, while prized recruit Stephen Crichton could also lace up the boots for the first time in the Bulldogs jersey but is no certainty to play.

According to the publication, the club aren't willing to risk Crichton as the new season nears, as they want to make sure he is fully fit for their opening match against rivals the Parramatta Eels.

In other news at the club, another good performance by Bronson Xerri will likely push him into the starting centres and make his NRL return in Round 1 after missing four years due to a drug ban.

T DAWG

Waterboy
Reaction score
I reckon Sexton has it locked up the 7 spot and CC is giving Hutchison a chance to prove he should start. From what I saw last week, Sexton was more direct and created more opportunities going right to the line. We also won the game in the second half and that was with all the youngsters and Sexton ar half back

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon Sexton has it locked up the 7 spot and CC is giving Hutchison a chance to prove he should start. From what I saw last week, Sexton was more direct and created more opportunities going right to the line. We also won the game in the second half and that was with all the youngsters and Sexton ar half back
Against youngsters.

Always a Bulldog

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
ZT writes a article about someone writing an article about a possibility.. only in the NRL

T DAWG

Waterboy
Reaction score
Our youngster's against their youngster's.

My point is, he played more direct regardless of the opposition teams age or nrl quality.

Always and forever a Bulldoggie
Against youngsters.

Always a Bulldog

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
ZT writes a article about someone writing an article about a possibility.. only in the NRL
It's yet to get to the fourth rehash. be patient, they've only got until Friday to get three more speculation articles out.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It might be a tactic to keep Sexton fresh for the second half.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
It might be a tactic to keep Sexton fresh for the second half.
Sexton playing NSW cup trial...Read into that what you will. Would suggest Hutch has the 7 locked up, but Sexton will get alot of game time to put his case forward. We will be fielding a very strong side that game. Good chance to show what he can do.

T DAWG

Waterboy
Reaction score
Maybe CC wants more size in the side and on the edges? I would say Hutch is obviously a bigger body and better defender than sexbomb

HD and Ink

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hi Folks

So itching for another year. Just wanted to say as far as Hutch goes, he might not be the classiest but he will put every game. Always good though to have options.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe CC wants more size in the side and on the edges? I would say Hutch is obviously a bigger body and better defender than sexbomb
I reckon you are onto something here.

He needs to pick a tough defensive line up to make up for the attack which needs to improve.

I was happy with DH and Sexton in the trial so I’m on the fence.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hutchison Vs Sexton. Sounds like a line-ball decision and Ciraldo is favouring the Hutch option at this point.

Good. Let's go with that for now, and challenge Sexton to knock the door down from Reggies.

Based on pre-season "feedback" and what we saw in the 1st trial, could have easily gone with the other way.

Not a bad problem to have...and not a Flanagan in sight...happy days.