News NRL News: The Kennel Cleanout

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL news: Brandon Wakeham heads list of six Bulldogs without a deal for 2023

A former top-rated Canterbury junior is among a list of six Bulldogs without a deal for next season as the club prepares for the arrival of new coach Cameron Ciraldo.

While one Canterbury forward will shrug off a stint in hospital to play for his future, another Bulldog is preparing to exit Belmore at season’s end.

The Daily Telegraph understands local junior Wakeham, who has struggled to earn a place in the NRL side this year, will not be retained by the club.

For backrower Joe Stimson, not even a stay in hospital and an intravenous needle that was still in his forearm on Wednesday, is going to stop him from taking the field and for good reason.

The 26-year old is also without a contract for 2023 and wants to use the final two games of the season, against Cronulla and Manly, to secure his future at Belmore.

So not even an untimely knee infection was going to get in the way of Stimson lacing up his boots on Saturday, in what is shaping as an audition in front of club officials and incoming coach Cameron Ciraldo.

“I’d love to say here, I’m off contract this year … nothing is really cemented yet but in saying that if (the Bulldogs) don’t really want me, I’d love to stay in the NRL for a little bit longer,” Stimson said.

Stimson, who has played 19 games this year, and his management are due to discuss his future in the coming days.

The former Melbourne forward was admitted into hospital earlier this week after a gash on his left knee became infected following last weekend’s loss to Parramatta.

Stimson insisted he would be healthy enough to play against the Sharks.

“Instead of having (antibiotics) orally it goes straight in, it’s just quicker,” Stimson said pointing to the infuser bottle connected to the drip line in his forearm.

“It was a cut on my knee from before, but it got infected I think from the ground.

“On Sunday it felt a bit sore, I sort of got a little fever on Monday and my glands were swollen a little bit … so they put me in hospital on Tuesday just in case but I was only in there for a few hours.”

That level of commitment is just one reason why superstar Josh Addo-Carr wants to see Stimson re-sign at the Bulldogs.

“Stimo and I go way back since our Storm days together,” Addo-Carr Said.

“He’s had a wonderful season, obviously some of the results have been disappointing but you see the kind of players that give their all and that’s Stimo.”

Like Stimson and Wakeham, under 20s NSW Blues forward Matt Doorey is without a home for next season.

Canterbury supremo Phil Gould, who is in the process of working through next season’s top 30 squad, is keeping a close eye on Doorey.

Doorey, a junior Kangaroos representative, is working his way back from an ACL injury in NSW Cup and it’s believed at least three other clubs have shown interest – including a western Sydney rival.

While big name recruit Tevita Pangai Jr is contracted until the end of season 2024, his demotion to NSW Cup this week has again raised questions about his future at Belmore.

It’s believed the former Brisbane forward, who is set to earn upwards of $750,000 next year, has been offered to rival outfits to help ease a salary cap squeeze.

Another 12 players contracted until the end of season 2023, including captain Josh Jackson, playmaker Jake Averillo and boom rookie Paul Alamoti will be eligible to test their value on the open from November 1 before getting the chance to impress rookie coach Ciraldo in the pre-season.

KENNEL CLEANOUT
NO DEAL DOGS
Matt Doorey, Brandon Wakeham, Jackson Topine, Tuipulotu Katoa, Reece Hoffman, Joe Stimson
INS
Viliame Kikau, Reed Mahoney, Ryan Sutton
OUTS
Brent Naden, Matt Dufty, Paul Vaughan, Jack Hetherington, Jeremy Marshall-King
OFF CONTRACT NOV 1
Paul Alamoti, Jake Averillo, Josh Jackson, Corey Allan, Bailey Biondi-Odo, Braidon Burns, Kyle Flanagan, Jayden Okunbor, Chris Patolo, Ava Seumanufagai, Luke Thompson, Corey Waddell

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/22f321c4ac14b2f2112e74d6fc6a738e

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shame BBO hasn’t been given a run at half in first grade last couple of weeks to see if he is the real deal. Know he is youngish but has been in the system for a few years now with us and the eels. He may struggle to make the cut if he is seen as offering less than the flange.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I thought they were talking about this forum

Surely Flanagun first to go
First u need a replacement. Many positions like forwards will be easy to replace. 7s not so much.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Avo for the bench and depth up front and must keep alamoti

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That off contact list stinks so bad, Alamoti is the only one who should be considered.

Last edited: