News NRL market watch: Bulldogs, Dragons lead chase for Jarome Luai, Addin Fonua-Blake

Status
Not open for further replies.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i’d prefer that over us signing either just to further watch them implode
Richardson is a smart operator, their bad days are behind them now . . . they can only improve . . . until we have an 18th team anyway

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richardson is a smart operator, their bad days are behind them now . . . they can only improve . . . until we have an 18th team anyway
yeah but i can dream right? adding luai and afb to the list of players that turned them down is something i’d appreciate

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haas at his age is the only prop worth $1m. AFB isnt worth that type of coin and we definitely shouldn’t be paying any another prop close to that.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haas at his age is the only prop worth $1m. AFB isnt worth that type of coin and we definitely shouldn’t be paying any another prop close to that.
May is a better long term option

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I can't understand the logic in the Bulldogs xhasing Luai. We have bought and invested in halves and have around 9 or 10 potentially. I mean obviously Sexton is still trialing. But Burton is a long term 5/8. Then theres the likes of Karl Oloapu , Drew Hutchison, Blake Taaffe, Jamal Salmon, Bailey Biondi-Odo, Joseph O'Neill, Khaled Rajab, Bailey Hayward. We also bought at least 3 young halves in Alex Conti, Cody Fuzz and Mitchell Woods.

We got heaps of halves we can develop.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I dont understand the vitriol directed at Luai.
He has been super successful at all levels.
1) He has won the majority of games with the Panthers.
2) He has been successful at SOO.
3) He has won three Premierships with Panthers.
4) Played World Cup with Samoa.
5) Selected in World Cup composite side.
People criticise him for his "grubby" behaviour.
Does anyone remember Terry Lamb and his coat hangers, his head butts
and a lot more, yet he is a legend of the club. Go figure.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I dont understand the vitriol directed at Luai.
He has been super successful at all levels.
1) He has won the majority of games with the Panthers.
2) He has been successful at SOO.
3) He has won three Premierships with Panthers.
4) Played World Cup with Samoa.
5) Selected in World Cup composite side.
People criticise him for his "grubby" behaviour.
Does anyone remember Terry Lamb and his coat hangers, his head butts
and a lot more, yet he is a legend of the club. Go figure.
I can say as someone who is on the fence with Luai signing.

To me he is a 5/8. Not sure he can be the 7. Not sure burton can be either.

That said Burton is a kid we have invested in. He has been behind a terrible pack that copped unlucky injuries all year to key players. I don’t think that Luai could have done any better really last season in those circumstances and I think Burton behind panthers pack would look galaxy’s ahead of what he has so far (which his talent and ability still shows even with lacking shit).

I am happy to see Luai signed with us as it would mean we have a partnership for a few seasons no doubt but I’m not positive it works and will cost us a fortune and long term deal.

My more pushing concern is we clearly suck and lack in the props. Badly. A kid might push forward like Hughes but we need more for sure. AFB was a big must in my eyes though perhaps his 4 year 1.2 mil deal is a bit rich and long for the risk.

Someone like May and Klemmer or that big ulele from sharks would probz combined be about that and no doubt provide more. However we actually need to sign some… Klemmer isn’t off contract. May was last reported to be close to stay with roosters. No links of sharks and appears highly unlikely we land him.

Dunno what’s going on. Gus clearly does so here’s hoping!

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone’s looking at this the wrong way

imagine the fucking attack with this backline

Critta
Xerri
Kiraz
JAC
Tracey
Burton
Luai

that is some FIREPOWER. Yes he isn’t a traditional 7 but he has a nice short kicking game and a great passing game, things Burton doesn’t have. We’ve seen them work together before and they beat melbourne

kiks And Preston on each side

Just need a couple front rowers to go forward and that’s a top team

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I rekin landing luai would be the best laui and burton on the halves we need another person like josh Reynolds and he is like that a great player and bringing a winning culture to the club is a great move

I do agree we need 2 big forwards but they don’t need to be players getting 1 million plus forwards don’t win you games having Burton Jerome luai . Crichton and kikau is great combination and especially having the speed they have. And the utilities they have great what they done

BRING LUAI ! !

let’s go doggies

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Everyone’s looking at this the wrong way

imagine the fucking attack with this backline

Critta
Xerri
Kiraz
JAC
Tracey
Burton
Luai

that is some FIREPOWER. Yes he isn’t a traditional 7 but he has a nice short kicking game and a great passing game, things Burton doesn’t have. We’ve seen them work together before and they beat melbourne

kiks And Preston on each side

Just need a couple front rowers to go forward and that’s a top team
Totally agree on board that’s a powerhouse

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Would much rather sign a prop then luai. Would rather save the money till a prop is available.

reason being we have some very talented halves coming through

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Would much rather sign a prop then luai. Would rather save the money till a prop is available.

they have been coming through for years I feel we need results and winning culture change luai is like a Josh r bringing attitude and talent I do agree we need a prop but not ones that are getting over a million is stupid I think having the panthers boys together will
Bring a good attitude and go 80 mins

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
A lot of legitimate concerns have been raised about Luai’s ability to play 7 and if not the idiocy in replacing Burton at 6 only 2 years into a mega deal but this also contradicts everything Gus has been saying about building from the ground up and focusing on junior development

What happens to Woods, Conti, Sexton etc?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I can't understand the logic in the Bulldogs xhasing Luai. We have bought and invested in halves and have around 9 or 10 potentially. I mean obviously Sexton is still trialing. But Burton is a long term 5/8. Then theres the likes of Karl Oloapu , Drew Hutchison, Blake Taaffe, Jamal Salmon, Bailey Biondi-Odo, Joseph O'Neill, Khaled Rajab, Bailey Hayward. We also bought at least 3 young halves in Alex Conti, Cody Fuzz and Mitchell Woods.

We got heaps of halves we can develop.
Luai is NRL proven, the others are not.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There is no such thing as "saving", we have space in the Cap for both. We also have space in the Top 38 (max) so that's not an issue either.
Bird in the hand most definitely applies.

The success rate of the conversion to NRL of "talented halves" is miniscule, lucky to be 1 in 20 that actually make it. Plus they have to learn from someone, sure we have Jason Taylor, but there is nothing like the mentoring from a senior player that plays your position and you are alongside every single day.

Always a Bulldog

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Luai is NRL proven, the others are not.
I think Gus is trying to bring as many talented panthers teammates together no doubt the all click with each other we want a winning culture and that’s why Gus threw out the rubbish and brining in top dogs

reed
Criita
Burton
Kikau
Luai
Addo Carr
Xerri
Preston
Curran
Kiraz
Tracey
Salmon

that’s just off the top of my head those are massive NRL players with a lot of experience in winning culture it’s time for a winning culture to come to us

tevita was the worst signing who cost them
So many games offloads on a 10 metre line on takele

mate just run hard and straight

Luke Thompson had on going issues acl foot so that had to go on 850

There are good forwards in the nrl who aren’t on over a million

the team just needs to be familiar and click and having panthers boys together is a great culture im
Sure they know what they are doing GUS knows the ins and outs

Status
Not open for further replies.