News NRL market watch: Bulldogs, Dragons lead chase for Jarome Luai, Addin Fonua-Blake

Status
Not open for further replies.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about this before, mainly because I didn't really believe it at tge time to be true,
But last week I ran into Blake Green up here in Newcastle.
And I was having a bit of a chat to him about the bulldogs just in general.

I mentioned during our conversation that I'd love to see us get AFB at the bulldogs.

He immediately said said, and I quote
"He won't go to the bulldogs mate, I'm hearing sharks"

I was shocked.
I questioned him on the sharks, I even said I thought dragons would have been a chance if dogs can't get him.

He doubled down and said he was heading to the Sharks

So this deal must have been done a week or so ago.

I would love to know how we missed out, and why he selected the sharks.
AFB chose the Sharks because he wants a premiership.

He is 28 and out of all the clubs chasing him, the Sharks have the best chance to do that before he retires.

As long as the money was close enough that was always going to be the most attractive option for him.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fitzgibbon ok with AFB attitude. Strange one that report supposedly from Gus....probably rubbish reporting as per usual. Pity we didn't get AFB, but....

"Sharks coach Craig Fitzgibbon was understandably excited to have bolstered the class and depth of his forward pack from 2025 onwards with the addition of Fonua-Blake.

“Addin is a world class front rower and we are delighted to be adding him to our roster from 2025,” Fitzgibbon said. “Throughout the negotiation process we have been impressed by his attitude, his genuine desire to help make the Sharks successful and to complement and work alongside both those in our leadership group and the young forwards we have coming through our system."
Talk is cheap!

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Strange one for us, the only middle i can see signed beyond next season is Sutton. Im really hoping May is still a chance and with Tigers spending up maybe Klemmer.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I said this in an other thread.

Appears warriors relented on a player swap. Tin foil hat… Gus isn’t stupid and arguably one of the sharpest operators I reckon it was clear afb was going to sharks/wanting too.

We basically got left with the choice of jumping on Tracey before dragons did and we decided it’s a good player to add while sharks got the $ figures and dragons got made to look like cucks.

Sucks cause we need that alpha.

If Gus goes on and gets may and another prop that helps us have two big ***** for the price of afb I’ll call it a win.

If we miss may and say Klemmer pops up or uele or something then we just got confirmation clubs look at us above tigers and dragons but still see us unattractive compared to say sharks (to which I don’t think are anything special as per their record against top teams)
Sharks are a much more attractive option than us uce.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Strange one for us, the only middle i can see signed beyond next season is Sutton. Im really hoping May is still a chance and with Tigers spending up maybe Klemmer.
If Luai wants out to WT asap Klemmer might become available - any reasonable middle will be highly sort after by St George as well

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe same with JT now deardon has extended on what must be good coin

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No new halves and middles signed for 24 and so far for 25 looks like we are rolling the dice on our young guys developing and being nrl ready in 25 and beyond.
Likely in for another couple of years of pain.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No new halves and middles signed for 24 and so far for 25 looks like we are rolling the dice on our young guys developing and being nrl ready in 25 and beyond.
Likely in for another couple of years of pain.
It will be a long season with out fkn middles. Spine players can’t develop with no platform and it’s difficult to win games when we are on the back foot all the time. We have depth benchies starting in the middle

Robbothedestroyer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will be a long season with out fkn middles. Spine players can’t develop with no platform and it’s difficult to win games when we are on the back foot all the time. We have depth benchies starting in the middle
Seriously light on for size and experience in the guts. Looks like RFM will play an important role if he can get his shite together and stay fit.

T-Rocket

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We dropped out of the afb chase already. It's a big miss for us. Happy he didn't go to the dragons tho. Surely we've got to sign some props. All in for May. Make an offer no one can match

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus has been around the game long enough to know when a player is genuinely interested in signing for us or we’re being used as leverage. That’s more than likely why he pulled the pin when he did.
Still a big blow though. I really hope we have a plan b because we can’t afford to push ahead over the next 2 seasons with what we have in the front row.
It's not a big blow if as you said he was using us as leverage. It's a big blow to the Warriors only.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Luai wants out to WT asap Klemmer might become available - any reasonable middle will be highly sort after by St George as well
panthers aren't letting luai leave early

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hope Gus’s no forward is worth that much money is holding us back from getting a big name forward. All the top clubs have them, bargain buy forwards won’t win you a comp.
AFB is a fail on Gus’s behalf.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Not surprising Luai wants out he is probs only on around 500k-600k in 24 at panthers so wants his extra 800k now. Can’t blame him. Think it will happen too much of a difference Cleary won’t be that much of a dick. Tigers might have to swap something good maybe Blore who is Melbourne bound anyway and chipping in quite a bit of his salary. If they lose blore to Melbourne or Panthers in 24 doubt Klemmer would be on the cards. Maybe for 25 if there is no movement.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not surprising Luai wants out he is probs only on around 500k-600k in 24 at panthers so wants his extra 800k now. Can’t blame him. Think it will happen too much of a difference Cleary won’t be that much of a dick. Tigers might have to swap something good maybe Blore who is Melbourne bound anyway and chipping in quite a bit of his salary. If they lose blore to Melbourne or Panthers in 24 doubt Klemmer would be on the cards. Maybe for 25 if there is no movement.
He's reportedly on 800k next year.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope Gus’s no forward is worth that much money is holding us back from getting a big name forward. All the top clubs have them, bargain buy forwards won’t win you a comp.
AFB is a fail on Gus’s behalf.
Huge fail. Hes lost his marbles

Happy to pay Crichton 925k as a glamour centre but wont pay $1M for afb give me a break. Hes killing the club before our eyes

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Luai I wasn’t fond of from day 1 can mainly attribute that to him not being a halfback or possessing any halfback qualities and playing a relatively structured role in the greatest side in the modern era. Type of player that will put up some decent numbers but if your a 10th place side you’re finishing 10th again the season after. Where his going says it all. AFB realistically would’ve bolstered the middle and gave us an edge missing out on him is unfortunate with the market presenting so little anything that pops up will cost an extra 20% or so. Realistically Luai does nothing for our 17th place halves combo and AFB would’ve been nice tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.