Opinion NRL has to decide on expansion or relocation writes Paul Kent

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Expansion can’t come soon enough for the Canterbury Bulldogs. Any chance to offload a few players is good by them.

The Bulldogs remain stifled by a salary cap with no wiggle room until 2021. This provides no solace for fans who bled through Saturday’s 40-6 loss to the Warriors and are preparing for a little more.

And if performances continue the way they are, expansion might also be good for a few players as well.

Dean Pay walked into Belmore on Monday with the selection axe in his hand and menace on his mind.

Pay did Saturday as tough as anybody. The Dogs certainly did not play the way they had trained throughout the summer and the worst part was it was hard to explain beyond describing it, as one official put it, men playing boys.

Then he had a change of heart.

Pay was a no-nonsense kind of player, the kind where effort found reward and honesty in performance was valued.

So Pay decided his players needed the benefit of the doubt. The Bulldogs’ squad named on Tuesday was without change from the team walloped by the Warriors.

There’s the warning for the players.

If that isn’t enough then heaven knows the Dogs are in a turnover frame of mind when it comes to roster management and any opportunity to move a few along will be acted upon quickly.

That the NRL is thinking expansion adds to their news.

Expansion is back on the agenda after NRL boss Todd Greenberg confirmed on League Life a week ago that he had “12 to 14 months” to come up with a decision for the game’s future and then, on Monday, sharpened his focus on 100% Footy.

Greenberg was his elusive best. He is the Chinese meal of interviews. Half an hour later, you’re suddenly hungry again for answers.

As Phil Gould lined them up Greenberg managed superbly, often answering questions with questions: “We are taking Origin to Perth this year, why don’t we take more games in Perth? Is Brisbane ready for a game every weekend, not every second weekend?”

If the NRL does not know whether Brisbane, a city of 2.1 million in a rugby league heartland, is ready for a game every weekend then god help us.

Gould applied the full Nelson several times to lock Greenberg into an answer, often forced to interrupt as Greenberg distracted himself with more questions.

Expansion will get a sympathetic era out Belmore way. This is based on the simple logic that new teams need new players so why not take a few of ours?

Please. How the NRL does it is the big question.

At one point Greenberg mentioned the word “criteria”, akin to a swear word in the game after what happened in the years following the Super League war.

Gould, who still carries the scars, quickly pulled him up and Greenberg diverted.

The first choice is whether to expand to 18 teams. It brings an extra game to sell to broadcasters, plus new markets.

The second option is to relocate a Sydney club and let those that remain breathe in a more forgiving market.

That Greenberg let slip “criteria” would indicate, at least early, that this is where the NRL boss’s head is at.

It is a dangerous road, even though some declare it is the only road.

“Our game can’t handle the spread of talent across 18 teams with two new franchises,” Mark Riddell said on Macquarie Sports Radio. “Sydney is so dominated by teams that we need to move.”

It is an opinion shared by many.

League Immortal Andrew Johns has said several times before he does not believe the game could spread the talent any further and it would be foolish to ignore his opinion.

Yet Manly legend Geoff Toovey told Macquarie Sports R that “without a doubt” there was enough talent to expand to 18 teams.

If only it were so easy. The only way the NRL can survive a Sydney team relocating is if the decision comes at the club’s instigation.

Any hint of a push from headquarters and an angry mob will descend on League Central with torches lit.

No competition can expand, ever, without some dilution of talent. By definition, teams have to recruit from the next best available.

The question is not whether the game will be diluted but how adversely the product will be affected if expansion does occur.

In some ways the Bulldogs help make Riddell’s point. You certainly wonder how some of them earned themselves NRL contracts.

But you can’t grow without growing pains.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
What does this rubbish have to do with us? We aren't going anywhere.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Relocation of any team would mean lots of people have to buy New homes, change their kids school and a myriad of other decisions. The NRL won't open their wallets for that and I think it would be a sticking point.

Expansion would mean that player development would need huge money invested. Nrl won't open their wallets for that either. So it's all a lot of talk in my opinion. Just deflection from the fact that the game is poorly run right now.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The vultures are out and smell blood. Fuck them.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need to fix the game first before even contemplating expansion...This interview only makes it clearer that the current administration are not the right personal to run the game

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying we relocate. They're saying it might be an opportunity to get rid of some of our shite players because new teams need them.

But I don't think the game can really cope with expansion, they need to solve issues they have now before even thinking about it.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How to sell a paper, by Paul Kent

Headline basis: relocation
Expected read rate by NRL fans: 40%

Integrate overall effect of headline to Bulldogs
Expected read rate by NRL fans: 80%

Although I do agree with the narrative that we need to move at least one Sydney team (IMO - permanently move St George to Illawarra, and either Manly, the Sharks or West Tigers) - to add in the Bulldogs to the basis of this article is just garbage journalism.

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Geographically you'd think West Tigers or St George or one of the Eastern Suburbs clubs. But that won't be the 'criteria'... :grinning:

nrlgeo.JPG

fireclust

Waterboy
Reaction score
Moving either Tigers or Sharks or both would make the most sense, they have the smallest territories and in comparison their club histories aren't as rich as some of the others.
Juniors from inner west can go either west (dogs/eels) or east (chooks/bunnies)
Cronulla's territory gets usurped by St. George and problem solved.
Sharks to Perth, Tigers to Adelaide.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sharks to Perth, Tigers to Adelaide.
I'd be happier if they moved the sharks to the history books and started again in Perth.

One of the worst teams in the last 10 years thinking of peptides, salary cap breaches, a coach who thought he could do what he wants and some players you can't help but hate.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I highly doubt this conversation will be solely based on Geography.

It will be what makes the most financial sense. It would be an idiotic decision to move a team that is financially stable. In 2016 - 4 clubs totalled 21 million of 30 million loan out from the NRL. Those were:

- St George
- Newcastle
- Gold Coast
- West Tigers

2 of these were under NRL control when this happened (2016). For me - it's a pretty obvious case. What I find fascinating is that they are both merger clubs, with no history a single entity. The fact they have to split themselves, sometimes between 3 venues, says a lot about what a club thinks of itself. It lacks identity.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We need to make sure that the very first expansion is another team in Brisbane, that will at least get rid of one of the one city teams advantage (Melbourne being the other, never have 2 teams there). It gives Brisbane too much of an advantage, for that reason alone they should be next. The Donkeys get far too much favouritism, from sponsor $'s, to TV coverage and advantageous game schedules. That needs to stop, so Brisbane should be the first target for a second team.

On the subject of relocation, the season schedule is screwed now because we have too many teams for every team to play each other twice and not enough teams to make it only once. So some teams get more favourable draws than others because of who they play twice compared to who they play once and where they play them. That needs to be fixed and the only solution is increasing the number of teams (I don't think decreasing the number is very likely). The oft quoted example of he success of relocation is the South Melbourne Swans to Sydney, but that particular exercise cost the AFL tens of millions of dollars. Required some very draconian actions such as forcing players, coaches and support staff to relocate as well as paying costs and compensation including paying for family visits, mortgage refinancing etc etc. The NRL couldn't afford that cost wise or bad publicity wise. I just can't see it happening.

More likely is the NRL will let some clubs just fade away to ISP level, like they have before (Jets, Bears, etc).

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just thank your lucky stars that Bullfrog set up the Leagues Club the way it is or otherwise we would be right in the firing line.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The NRL need a proper full time presence in the Campbeltown/Oran Park/Camden/Gregory Hills areas - all those new estates being built and developed out that way...
The tigers should just cut ties with the Balmain area and focus out that way - set up a Centre of Excellence there, train there and be permanently based there. Play all their home games there also.

We should take over the Balmain area - make it part of the Canterbury Bankstown umbrella.

The NRL need a team in Western Australia. But they need a strong junior comp over there also and reserve grade team also. This should be a relocated team.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I highly doubt this conversation will be solely based on Geography.

It will be what makes the most financial sense. It would be an idiotic decision to move a team that is financially stable. In 2016 - 4 clubs totalled 21 million of 30 million loan out from the NRL. Those were:

- St George
- Newcastle
- Gold Coast
- West Tigers

2 of these were under NRL control when this happened (2016). For me - it's a pretty obvious case. What I find fascinating is that they are both merger clubs, with no history a single entity. The fact they have to split themselves, sometimes between 3 venues, says a lot about what a club thinks of itself. It lacks identity.
St George just got bought out I think? I know a few years ago I was talking to a players wife and they had to have their awards night at the stadium because they couldn’t afford anything else.

Knights also under control by Wests group

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If our blokes don't fire up after that bagging...well!!!

“Our game can’t handle the spread of talent across 18 teams with two new franchises,” Mark Riddell said on Macquarie Sports Radio. “Sydney is so dominated by teams that we need to move.

It is an opinion shared by many.

In some ways the Bulldogs help make Riddell’s point. You certainly wonder how some of them earned themselves NRL contracts".

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They dont mind insulting us or our players. Yeah we had an absolute shocker on the weekend but FFS they are pieces of shit

You certainly wonder how some of them earned themselves NRL contracts".

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Move to Brisbane. I live in Brisbane. Win Win. Brisbane Bulldogs.