Opinion NRL has to decide on expansion or relocation writes Paul Kent

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
St George just got bought out I think? I know a few years ago I was talking to a players wife and they had to have their awards night at the stadium because they couldn’t afford anything else.

Knights also under control by Wests group
Yeap - correct. The days of Tinkler are long gone and the NRL has provided full control.

It's a given that the market of Sydney and the teams are cannibalizing each other. Also, the move by the Sharks recently with the recent property development they secured, along with the fact that they are the only club that owns their stadium - means that they will probably not be considered or at least "pass" the criteria, set by the NRL.

For me, it's a no brainer.

Sharks take Southern Sydney - Dragons move to the Southern Highlands/Wollongong area. Maybe change to the Illawarra Dragons?

The West Tigers name can stay the same - just move them to Perth.

2 new teams - second team in Brisbane, and either a second NZ team, or maybe a Central coast team.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Article isn't even really about relocation.. it's just saying we need more teams so that shit players can be offloaded easily.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This article is dumb for many reasons but what jumps out at me is:
A) there is no point saying a team can take shit players off our hands now because even if they are set up, it wont be before 2023.
B) Anyone who saw Greenturd speak, would know he is definitely headed for relocation over expansion.
But hey, good try you dumb Kent.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Relocation of any team would mean lots of people have to buy New homes, change their kids school and a myriad of other decisions. The NRL won't open their wallets for that and I think it would be a sticking point.

Expansion would mean that player development would need huge money invested. Nrl won't open their wallets for that either. So it's all a lot of talk in my opinion. Just deflection from the fact that the game is poorly run right now.
The NRL dearly want another Qld team. Moving the Dogs to Qld would solve that problem nicely. AFL did the big relocations with the Swans and Lions, so don't be surprised if the NRL follows suit.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Manly would be the obvious club for me.
Shit stadium, private owners who don't want to spend any more cash.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Move the Titans! They contribute nothing to the comp. Move them to Brisbane. And still have 3 games a year on the Gold Coast or encourage teams to take one home game there to utilise the stadium..

Perth is an absolute must for a team.

Other than that, relocating or merging other teams is fraught with danger.

One thing is for sure though, Greenberg needs to go before such important decisions are made and before he screws up the next TV deal that will set the code back another five years.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The NRL dearly want another Qld team. Moving the Dogs to Qld would solve that problem nicely. AFL did the big relocations with the Swans and Lions, so don't be surprised if the NRL follows suit.
The NRL doesn't have a tenth of the budget required to relocate a team, it cost the AFL tens of millions to relocate the Swans, that's in cash. Plus they paid Barrassi $2m a year for 3 years to promote the Swans move to Sydney. They also kicked the can for premium players like Tony Locket to come to Sydney and were subsidising them for more than a decade after the move. The NRL can't afford that, plus the other teams would crucify them.

Go Dogs

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Piss off .....

Bluebarry

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Mr Kent , we've heard this story before , 1st we have expansion things are going great guns for a while .
Then the crap hits the ceiling , not enough talent to go round the viewing action becomes non existent .
Suddenly you find yourself immersed in the art of netball, then watching the Rooster winning 70 -0 , V the team coming 27th on the ladder .
Panic kicks in we go from Expansion 2 Amalgamation more punishment for the fans that keep it all going , yeah but for how long before we fans start buying soccer balls and netballs , instead footy balls .

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Anyone for North Coast Bulldogs? Only me? Ok lol...they could have the talent pool from Taree to Tweed heads we also have the Crl bulldogs partnership in place atm

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
If that happens I’m a life long Bulldogs hater. Their Leagues club better want to change locations from Belmore as well as they would not be welcome.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dogs aren't going anywhere lol talk about over reactions

Otis

Waterboy
Reaction score
Let’s pack up and move. May be the only chance we have to play at a decent stadium. Plus Sydney’s a rat race and I personally, cant wait to get the hell out.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Dogs aren't going anywhere lol talk about over reactions
Off course not. Sucks we never got up the Oasis thing though. I think St George should go down to Wollongong. Tigers/West’s to Perth and Titans to Redcliffe in QLD. Have a Central Coast Roosters team I don’t know but the Roosters are a problem that no one ever talks about.

Last edited:

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Let’s pack up and move. May be the only chance we have to play at a decent stadium. Plus Sydney’s a rat race and I personally, cant wait to get the hell out.
Do you support this team?

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If st merge were to get relocated it would be like winning a comp for me.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Very unlikely Brisbane people would ever accept or get behind a Sydney team relocating. They have the capacity for a new team of their own.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Off course not. Sucks we never got up the Oasis thing though. I think St George should go down to Wollongong. Tigers/West’s to Perth and Titans to Redcliffe in QLD. Have a Central Coast Roosters team I don’t know but the Roosters are a problem that no one ever talks about.
If you're going to put a team in redcliffe why not just give redcliffe dolphins the licence.. they are cashed up, have a long history, and the people from the area already have a connection to them. You would also get a heap of ex players including juniors perhaps switching their Nrl team allegiances to the dolphins since they once wore the jersey themselves.. remembering brisbane Broncos have no junior setup in brisbane, only affiliate arrangements with other local clubs. ... I personally think you're better off cutting a team and then starting a new team in Brisbane.. relocation might work for Perth