NRL five to make big breakthroughs in 2021

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing Tbaz has got to tell him is to straighten up his runs and stop cutting back in towards the ruck. Personally I think he has played his best footy in the middle but it will be interesting to see what Tbaz does with him.
I would like to see him pass the ball a bit more just to keep defenders guessing as to what he is going to do, that's what made Sam Kasiano so dangerous ( ala Arthur Beetson )

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The only thing that I haven't liked about rfm over the years is that he can go through phases where he'll hit the line but turn and try to outstep them on the outside. It just seems to slow down the momentum when he does it.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great player who needs to rediscover his off load. I thought Pay simplified his game too much with the whole ‘run hard, tackle hard’ advise. He is the sort of guy that needs the fullback looming up off his hip ready for the offload

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might think its stupid. But he played his best footy for UK when he played wide and run onto the ball. So its not so stupid.
Also, I think he would be wasted at prop.
Agree, the standard of the game in the UK is generally lower than in Australia, I can't see Thompson been as affective at Prop in Aussie as he was in the UK, lets keep in mind that he is not that big 102 KG is light for prop these days.. I believe that his wide running stile and his ability to offload would make him a top edge player. BTW Thompson and RFM would make our edge as good as any in the NRL.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree, the standard of the game in the UK is generally lower than in Australia, I can't see Thompson been as affective at Prop in Aussie as he was in the UK, lets keep in mind that he is not that big 102 KG is light for prop these days.. I believe that his wide running stile and his ability to offload would make him a top edge player. BTW Thompson and RFM would make our edge as good as any in the NRL.
The issue of playing him on an edge is that we have a lack of options at prop. We need him firing in the middle to give our front some much needed punch.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely correct. Funny how you havnt been called stupid for making this determination like I was.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think he is a prop, and should stay in the middle. He has the potential to be a very dynamic prop. A prop with footwork and speed will be the norm in the near future given the way the game is being manipulated. The powers that be want the game to be all about speed, so the middle is where the speed will need to come from, or adjust to. The game has plenty of fast wingers, fullbacks and centres, so it has to be the middle.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The six again rule, reducing injury stoppages etc are all bringing the game to players like Thompson, fast, agile and with a big motor.

Go Dogs
Yep the only time play stops is if they are getting stretchered off

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue of playing him on an edge is that we have a lack of options at prop. We need him firing in the middle to give our front some much needed punch.
I think he is a prop, and should stay in the middle. He has the potential to be a very dynamic prop. A prop with footwork and speed will be the norm in the near future given the way the game is being manipulated. The powers that be want the game to be all about speed, so the middle is where the speed will need to come from, or adjust to. The game has plenty of fast wingers, fullbacks and centres, so it has to be the middle.
Sorry I just don't agree with you, IMHO props don't need to be the smartest players on the field, their main task is to do the hard yards and tackle, of course the odd off load would help. I don't believe that we are that badly off with props, Napa (he will be better this his contract year) To-omaga, Hetherington, Ogden, at a pinch I would be very confident that Wardell, Stimson and even Elliot could fill in even if only as bench props (they are no smaller than Thompson and Tolman and I believe they are quicker than Tolman). From what I've see so far the last 3 I mentioned would be just as suited at prop than Thompson.
BTW the amount of money, the club is paying Thompson would be wasted with him playing in the middle.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thompson lacked lateral movement a few times last season... He will get absolutely found out defending on the edges considering we saw him clutching at air threw the middle numerous times last season.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Heavily involved in everything, probably tries too hard, will have a big year for sure, what a crowd favorite.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Absolutely correct. Funny how you havnt been called stupid for making this determination like I was.
I never called you stupid.

I laughed at your comment because you always want to take players and just change them to this or that.

You said you would change Brandon Smith into a PROP.

You said you want to change Thompson into a second Rower, even though he's played his entire career in the middle.

You have said it about other players too.

Last edited:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I never called you stupid.

I laughed at your comment because you always want to take players and just change them to this or that.

You said you would change Brandon Smith into a PROP.

You said you want to change Thompson into a second Rower, even though he's played his entire career in the middle.

You have said it about other players too.
Check your facts. I said Brandon Smith is a big boy. And he is going to get bigger with age. That would nullify
him being a capable dummy half. I said he will probably have to play in the forwards. I stand by that.
Thompson is about 102kgs. Smallish for a modern prop. Even though he is rostered was a prop, his best football has always been when he plays wide.
RFM on one side and Thompson on the other would be awesome. I still say that.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Check your facts. I said Brandon Smith is a big boy. And he is going to get bigger with age. That would nullify
him being a capable dummy half. I said he will probably have to play in the forwards. I stand by that.
Thompson is about 102kgs. Smallish for a modern prop. Even though he is rostered was a prop, his best football has always been when he plays wide.
BSmith will be 25 early next season, he’s pretty much done growing with age.

Go Dogs

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LOLLLLL still growing at 25?

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would like to see him pass the ball a bit more just to keep defenders guessing as to what he is going to do, that's what made Sam Kasiano so dangerous ( ala Arthur Beetson )
RFM had an offload on him and pass, but he was specifically requested by Pay just to run hard only and simplify his game.. there was an article last year that described why he changed his game..

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
BSmith will be 25 early next season, he’s pretty much done growing with age.

Go Dogs
Maybe. But he is about 110kgs now and doesnt look after himself that well. He will blow out for sure.