NRL five to make big breakthroughs in 2021

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Raymond Faitala-Mariner (Bulldogs)

Faitala-Mariner averaged 103 running metres and busted 30 tackles last year... in the second-worst attacking side in the competition. Now, the barnstorming second rower will be playing under a new coach who knows a thing or two about getting the best out of a misfiring attacking unit.

Penrith were hard to watch before Trent Barrett arrived as attacking coach. While the Bulldogs don’t have the same strong foundations for talent, Barrett’s recent recruitment drive is enough proof that he is primed to transform the Dogs’ attack and Faitala-Mariner will be one of the biggest beneficiaries. He is already making an impression on Barrett and you can be sure the new coach will be looking to use Faitala-Mariner’s big frame to the team’s advantage.

“(Raymond Faitala-Mariner) is one that’s stood out for me,” he told Sky Sports Radio last week. “There’s a bit of Kikau about him actually, he’s a big body and a bit of a weapon on an edge.” Now, Bulldogs fans will be hoping they don’t fall into the same trap Penrith had of being too overreliant on Kikau. But with Barrett at the helm, the Panthers were able to be smarter in the way they used the Fijian giant. Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai would play it short, then give him early ball next and at other times used him as a decoy to keep the opposition guessing.

There was more deception to Penrith’s attack and if Barrett can bring that to Belmore, it will make Faitala-Mariner only more dangerous on the edge. He is a perfect line-running forward as shown in the two tries below, capable of running short and flat and capitalising on poor defensive choices from the opposition. If he already looked the Dogs’ best in poor attacking structures, imagine what he can do with the right systems in place.

The other four players continued on in article

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Very much agree with the RFM analogy hope he tears it up in 21.

Have a feeling(possibly misguided)that Hetherington will have a very big year for us looks potentially a real weapon, if he is smart and committed(so far seems to be)he will see the opportunity to establish himself as a forward leader at the Dogs in the next 2 years and then stay the journey earning very good money and hopefully win a premiership or two.
I think our forward pack overrall can be pretty good in '21, hell even that overpaid slug Napa may fire up..young Topine might hit the frame in the 2nd half of the year if one or two forwards cbf giving us 110%

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Always been a fan of RFM. He was playing great football a few years back before injuring himself playing for NZ. He was starting to get back to that form last season, maybe even surpassing it.
I think that with Baz coaching, a ball playing fb in Averilo, and a decent half in Flanagan, we will really see him fly next season.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I would even go on a limb to suggest he could have been our player of the season instead of Foran who said it wasnt about the $$ and signed elsewhere anyway...
If it wasn't for Foran, RFM wouldn't even be in the discussion. Foran to RFM was our best combination this year (Foran had a similar combination with CHN last year and if Foran isn't there it doesn't exist with the other halves we had). There was no future here for Foran when we were looking to sign 2 young halves in Flanagan and Burton and go in a different direction (Foran is better than both currently when fit). At least at Manly there is potential there for more than 1 more season (after next year he wouldn't of been needed here). I do think Foran was our best player this year, but I'm also happy with replacing him with Flanagan and Burton who I think will be better in the long term (mainly due to Foran's injury record and age, not ability).

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it wasn't for Foran, RFM wouldn't even be in the discussion. Foran to RFM was our best combination this year (Foran had a similar combination with CHN last year and if Foran isn't there it doesn't exist with the other halves we had). There was no future here for Foran when we were looking to sign 2 young halves in Flanagan and Burton and go in a different direction (Foran is better than both currently when fit). At least at Manly there is potential there for more than 1 more season (after next year he wouldn't of been needed here). I do think Foran was our best player this year, but I'm also happy with replacing him with Flanagan and Burton who I think will be better in the long term (mainly due to Foran's injury record and age, not ability).
We signed Flanagan waaaaay after Foran knocked us back.
Flanagan wasn't even available to be signed until after the roosters were knocked out, Foran knocked us back during regular season.
Burton was even later than Flanagan.

We offered Foz first opportunity for a halves spot next season, no different to Manly.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Flanagan wasn't even available to be signed until after the roosters were knocked out, Foran knocked us back during regular season.

We offered Foz first opportunity for a halves spot next season, no different to Manly.
I think it's common knowledge that we didn't want to offer Foran more than 1 year (Manly offered 1 year + another in their favour). If Foran was to sign for 1 year he was going to be a stop gap similar to what Blake Green was going to be (which Foran obviously didn't want, he thinks he's far from done). Barrett said Flanagan and Burton were both targets for 2022. There is/was more of a future at Manly for Foran.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's common knowledge that we didn't want to offer Foran more than 1 year (Manly offered 1 year + another in their favour). If Foran was to sign for 1 year he was going to be a stop gap similar to what Blake Green was going to be (which Foran obviously didn't want, he thinks he's far from done). Barrett said Flanagan and Burton were both targets for 2022. There is/was more of a future at Manly for Foran.
Sure, but think about it.
1 one year deal with a 1 year option in the club's favour realistically from the player's perspective is not materially different to a 1 year deal.
Manly can very cleanly walk away after the 2021 season should they wish to.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Playing Thompson on the edge would be similar to playing Murray on the edge, just a waste.
You might think its stupid. But he played his best footy for UK when he played wide and run onto the ball. So its not so stupid.
Also, I think he would be wasted at prop.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well said,I thought rfm,and Elliot,before injury,were our best players,Foran came back from injury when our season was done,after 4 years of nothing glad to see the ass end of him,for mine he will go down as one the top 10 ,worst buys for our club.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You might think its stupid. But he played his best footy for UK when he played wide and run onto the ball. So its not so stupid.
Also, I think he would be wasted at prop.
He got MOM in the GF playing prop. And he didn't play wide at all.

His last three games was an indication of what he can be at prop in the NRL. His last game he was the best prop on the park vs Penrith.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Imagine not thinking Thompson is the best prop in the game, fucking ediots.
After his last few games and especially his last game with us, I can see why Holbrook said what he said.

I don't think he is, but if he plays like he did the last few games he's up there with some of the best props in the game.