NRL endorses sin bins NOW for SERIOUS foul play (+ NEW RULES)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/12/arl-commission-endorses-changes-to-sin-bin/

Referees will be given discretion to sin bin players for serious instances of foul play - even if the victim is able to continue playing - under a change to the NRL Laws and Interpretations.

Chairman Peter Beattie said the ARL Commission has endorsed a recommendation from the Competition Committee to strengthen the sin bin rule to protect players from foul play.

"No one wants to see players taken out of the game through acts of foul play," Mr Beattie said.

"Sometimes those acts do not warrant a send off - but they do deserve 10 minutes in the sin bin.

"Until now, the rules did not allow referees to use the sin bin for foul play unless the victim of foul play was forced to leave the field and was unlikely to take any further part of the game.

"So we have seen players commit acts of foul play, put on report but miss no game time.

"We don't think that is an adequate deterrent so, from Round 15 onwards, referees will be able to use the sin bin for foul play whether the victim has to leave the field or not."

CEO Todd Greenberg said the sin bin could be used for high tackles, dangerous throws, shoulder charges and crusher tackles.

"The sin bin could also be used for cheap late shots on playmakers who play such a key role in our game," he said.

"I stress that the sin bin will only be used for serious incidents and there will be no impact on tough, fair and legal play."

The Commission also endorsed a proposal which will allow salary cap relief for Clubs in the event their players suffer long-term injuries during Representative fixtures.

New rules will allow that:

• if a player suffers a long-term injury while participating in a representative fixture, Clubs will be able to sign a replacement player as well as access a salary cap exemption for a portion of, or all of, the replacement player's value;

• The cap exemption will be on a dollar-for-dollar basis compared to the injured player, up to $350,000;

• The exemption allowable will be based on the number of rounds remaining in the regular season.

"Clubs place significant investments in their players so it stands to reason that we would attempt to compensate them as much as possible for instances where their players have suffered long-term injuries while they are on representative duties," NRL Chief Operating Officer Nick Weeks said.

"Ultimately, we want to support representative football, but provide adequate on-field compensation.

"There are some strong parameters around the relief but we certainly view this proposal as being fair to all parties."

The salary cap relief will now begin with this year's Holden State of Origin Series and other Representative fixtures.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They'll go so overboard with the binnings that soon it will be nines or sevens with the way they're going. I'm sure some moron like Ashley Klein who wants everyone to be playing netball will bin seven people a game because he's following the letter of the law.

How can each inept CEO of the NRL be even more clueless than the previous clowns that we all thought were as bad as it gets? They ruin this sport more and more year after year... Soon there'll be no one watching at all.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL so they just admitted that Sutton got it wrong in the Napa tackle... but yet he was still appointed Origin Ref LMFAO ..

NRL= 0 credibility

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Great. Just what the game needs right now. Giving the referees even more power to be fuckwits. Honestly watching Greenberg ru(i)n this game is like flogging a dead horse.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think its a good idea TBH. Some people just have their default setting that everything referees and the NRL do is wrong.

None of you have yelled out "sin bin" or "off... off ... off" at the TV, or at the game?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
LOL so they just admitted that Sutton got it wrong in the Napa tackle... but yet he was still appointed Origin Ref LMFAO ..

NRL= 0 credibility
I have the memory of a goldish. Remind me which tackle this was?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Foul play should never result in a sin bin. It should either result in a send off or it should result in a player being put on report and a simple penalty.

I saw the stats for sin binnings this year and they are off the charts.

Sin bins should be used sparingly and only for professional fouls that generally intentionally prevent the opposition from scoring or having a scoring opportunity.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There will be 100+ sin bins this year lol

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the memory of a goldish. Remind me which tackle this was?
Napa lead with his head in a swing arm gone wrong and got sin binned because he knocked out Korben Sims

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Napa lead with his head in a swing arm gone wrong and got sin binned because he knocked out Korben Sims
I remember now!

I thought that was just a good tackle - play on. Injuries happen when you put grown man on a field and tell them to run at each other.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember now!

I thought that was just a good tackle - play on. Injuries happen when you put grown man on a field and tell them to run at each other.
Fair enough , but the point was that he got sinned binned for something that was outside the scope of the sin bin ..

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Fair enough , but the point was that he got sinned binned for something that was outside the scope of the sin bin ..
Yep - that's also what I was trying to say.

Why was Napa sin binned when in many people's opinion he didn't even commit a penalty, let alone do something to be sin binned.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What happened to the incorrect time keeping of the sin bin during Storm vs Manly?

NRL swept that one under the carpet very quickly

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Why don't we have power plays instead of this bs sin binning? If the defending team concedes a penalty while defending inside the 10, why not send the offender off benind the goal line until and leave them off until their team regains possession?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just another way for the NRL to shape the result of games for their betting partners. Imaginary shoulder charge spotted by ref leads to sin binning which leads to a loss for the club.

3 minutes later a run of infringements on the line and there goes player #2 to the bin.

In the ensuing complaint the captain tells the ref to "get fucked" and becomes player #3 in the bin.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When this guy is the ARL chairman, the game has even more problems than anyone can fathomimages (3).jpeg

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Recommending rule changes mid season. Only in the NRL does this happen. They make it up as they go.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Why don't we have power plays instead of this bs sin binning? If the defending team concedes a penalty while defending inside the 10, why not send the offender off benind the goal line until and leave them off until their team regains possession?
been an advocate of this one for a while... seems like such a simple way to cut out the bullshit

Status
Not open for further replies.