Not open for further replies.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...0617-chrt.html

Quote:
NRL crowds, ratings up for 2009
June 17, 2009 - 7:00PM
The NRL is trumpeting an increase in crowds and television ratings for 2009.
The league says crowds are up five per cent on the same time last year and have totalled 1,688,948 so far in 2009.
It says game one of the State of Origin series reached a record average of 2.322 million viewers across the five capital cities, 177,000 better than the previous best, for game three last year.
Weekly television ratings for NRL games are up 21.7 per cent in Brisbane and 14.2 per cent in Sydney.
And club memberships have grown 27 per cent with nine of the league's 16 clubs achieving record numbers.
Despite the massive publicity generated by the Cronulla group sex scandal and sexual assault charges laid against Manly's Brett Stewart earlier this year, the league also claims an increase in the number of women interested in rugby league.
"While the economic climate has been tough and while many people predicted we would see a drop in numbers, there have been a lot of positives and each week the NRL players are lifting themselves in a way that has inspired fans," NRL chief executive David Gallop said.

© 2009 AAP
Brought to you by

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
Hurm.

How does the percent increase or decrease compare to AFL or Union?

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
dont bother comparing ourselves to the AFL with regards to crowd ratings and memberships lol.

Its like comparing a cabin for the night to staying at the Versace hotel for the night.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Despite all the bad publicity, league will always go strong on the eastern seaborne

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
dont bother comparing ourselves to the AFL with regards to crowd ratings and memberships lol.

Its like comparing a cabin for the night to staying at the Versace hotel for the night.
Haha, I just want to see if we are gaining ground at all.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
These humbers and this spin by Gallop mean nothing and hide the real issues.

Crowd numbers are still way too low and shocking but TV numbers as always are good.

And with these TV ratings the NRL should be getting more than any other code in Australia for TV rights. Yet, again, Gallop will undersell the game and get League a deal that equals half of what the AFL gets.

Footy will always, always survive off field dramas. Always has and always will. The people still turn up and tune in. What it won't survive is constant mismanagement and with Gallop and co still at the helm for the next TV rights deal and News Ltd still owning half the game the league will struggle and not reach its potential for another decade.

matt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The problem is that rugby league is such a great game to watch on tv. All the action is pretty much happening around the ball. Whereas with AFL, if your actually at the game, you get to see so much more of the strategy/player movement etc. People would rather just sit at home and watch league, rather than go, which is seen through the good tv ratings.

The Tv rights really need to be sold for more next time..

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
Hurm.

How does the percent increase or decrease compare to AFL or Union?
i know the swans number have dropped heaps, they were saying on sunrise.

i think crowds have dropped something like 15%

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i know the swans number have dropped heaps, they were saying on sunrise.

i think crowds have dropped something like 15%
The GayFL boss was on the box yesterday saying that the
Swans apart from dwindling crowds, are down on memberships and
have also lost a lot of TV ratings here in Sydney.....

So much for a second team in Sydney......

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
thats the problem with the Sydney team and the AFL are worried,

pretty much they need the sydney team to make the finals every year or sydney siders lose interest str8 away.

Status
Not open for further replies.