NRL corruption caught on live tv

Big Vibe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Annersley explaining now:

1) Says ref got the initial call right - blew whistle to stop play, not end the game and challenge could be mounted.
2) Says the bunker got the penalty call wrong and should've dismissed the challenge as unsuccessful.

Either way, it's not 'corruption' - it's a wrong call.
So yes, Tigers fans can feel dudded - but nothing to do with betting agencies etc.
Bullshit. Sportsbet got on the phone and called the bunker to call it a penalty as there was huge amounts of coin wagered on a Tigers victory yesterday, which would’ve cost them hundreds of thousands. It was a deadset fix and you’re corrupt yourself if you believe otherwise

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The capt challenge was introduced bc of all the dud previous calls by refs and in line with other sports like cricket where wrongs can be righted by refs decisions when they get it wrong.

To do away with capt challenge now would probably cause a sensational controversy and further erode the perceived corruption or ineptness of the NRL even more such is the low standing of NRL officialdom at present.

Who knows what they can do now to get back on track with simplifying the adjudication of the game.
"To do away with capt challenge now would probably cause a sensational controversy and further erode the perceived corruption or ineptness of the NRL even more such is the low standing of NRL officialdom at present".

Not sure how you arrive to that conclusion when the game did OK for 110 years without it.

This mess is due to the introduction of the Captains Challenge. If there were NO captains challenge we wouldn't have had this mess.

As I said everyone prior to Captains Challenge would live with the good and bad calls.

No one dare question Kevin Roberts or Hartley (although one day a female fan at Cumberland Oval did get face to face with Greg Hartley)

Couldn't see Harrigan putting up with this crap. Get rid of it!!!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Bullshit. Sportsbet got on the phone and called the bunker to call it a penalty as there was huge amounts of coin wagered on a Tigers victory yesterday, which would’ve cost them hundreds of thousands. It was a deadset fix and you’re corrupt yourself if you believe otherwise
Thanks @AlzzBulldog :-).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
"To do away with capt challenge now would probably cause a sensational controversy and further erode the perceived corruption or ineptness of the NRL even more such is the low standing of NRL officialdom at present".

Not sure how you arrive to that conclusion when the game did OK for 110 years without it.

This mess is due to the introduction of the Captains Challenge. If there were NO captains challenge we wouldn't have had this mess.

As I said everyone prior to Captains Challenge would live with the good and bad calls.

No one dare question Kevin Roberts or Hartley (although one day a female fan at Cumberland Oval did get face to face with Greg Hartley)

Couldn't see Harrigan putting up with this crap. Get rid of it!!!
Yes you are correct but times are different. Harrigan and Hartley gone. We are dealing with what is happening how. The faith in NRL officialdom is at a very low point and if capt challenge was now taken away, after this controversy, the faith in the adjudication would be worse.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes you are correct but times are different. Harrigan and Hartley gone. We are dealing with what is happening how. The faith in NRL officialdom is at a very low point and if capt challenge was now taken away, after this controversy, the faith in the adjudication would be worse.
The game has always had controversy and always will.

Captains Challenge is warranted in Cricket as it's between the batsmen and bowler or a catch or no catch. I can see where that assists but the Captains Challenge is open to interpretation in Rugby League with a number of tacklers all over the defender and cameras not being able to pick up every angle to make a definitive call.

Each team is allowed 1 incorrect challenge per half and keep it if they're successful. If you were a captain you'd want to be extremely certain that your player was 100% sure they want to challenge the call or you lose that challenge. This is why it is unfair as Tigers had used all their challenges and the Cowboys had not, hence they were able to challenge which lead to the farce we had.

It was only a few weeks ago the Doggies had a call from the ref late in the game that they would've definitely challenged but had already lost both their challenges.

It only slows the game down more and highlights by this incident that it's more trouble than it's worth. Get rid of it.

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
But the ‘interpretation’ of different ‘written laws’ could be called into question almost weekly with various decisions
I think a lot of the frustration stems from this, but the flip side black and white has been demonstrably worse in the past so I guess it's a no win situation for them. This instance is one of the few where seemingly all fans agree it should never happen so I can understand the media and fans making a song and dance about it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The game has always had controversy and always will.

Captains Challenge is warranted in Cricket as it's between the batsmen and bowler or a catch or no catch. I can see where that assists but the Captains Challenge is open to interpretation in Rugby League with a number of tacklers all over the defender and cameras not being able to pick up every angle to make a definitive call.

Each team is allowed 1 incorrect challenge per half and keep it if they're successful. If you were a captain you'd want to be extremely certain that your player was 100% sure they want to challenge the call or you lose that challenge. This is why it is unfair as Tigers had used all their challenges and the Cowboys had not, hence they were able to challenge which lead to the farce we had.

It was only a few weeks ago the Doggies had a call from the ref late in the game that they would've definitely challenged but had already lost both their challenges.

It only slows the game down more and highlights by this incident that it's more trouble than it's worth. Get rid of it.
You are still not addressing the only point I am making...that the NRL public and the media would fully blow up with corruption accusations against the NRL, IF they dropped the Capt Challenge NOW AFTER this major ref/bunker controversy and accuse them of a cover up of gigantic proportions for dropping a rule they made in the first place to try and stop ref decisions that were wrong during the course of a game.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score

Bro - gunna be nice on this one..

Catches (as in catch or no catch) are not reviewable in cricket. You can review an edge and whether he hit it. Catch or no catch is an umpire review. And if you think cricket gets it right all the time, do your research. The %'s are higher in RL that reviews are correctly adjudicated.

Teams get one challenge, not one per half.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Wendy, don't agree.. ditch both the captains challenge AND the six again.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I think a lot of the frustration stems from this, but the flip side black and white has been demonstrably worse in the past so I guess it's a no win situation for them. This instance is one of the few where seemingly all fans agree it should never happen so I can understand the media and fans making a song and dance about it.
I get the frustration.
People are passionate about their clubs.
They don’t want to feel dudded - especially when you’re coming last - it’s like being kicked when you’re already down. But cheating? Nah…

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Sorry Wendy, don't agree.. ditch both the captains challenge AND the six again.
I am not saying keep either of them.

Just that the NRL would cop a bagging if they dropped the capt challenge. It was introduced to give the impression refs decisions could be corrected if wrong.

Most fans would love the 6 again dropped :grinning:

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bro - gunna be nice on this one..

Catches (as in catch or no catch) are not reviewable in cricket. You can review an edge and whether he hit it. Catch or no catch is an umpire review. And if you think cricket gets it right all the time, do your research. The %'s are higher in RL that reviews are correctly adjudicated.

Teams get one challenge, not one per half.
It's still a review and my point was that it is far easier to make a correct decision when you have only the ball and bat in play with snicko and ball tracking in cricket than it is in Rugby League with bodies everywhere and not every angle available to get a correct decision.

As for one per half challenges. It must've changed or the statement below is wrong.

Each team will be allowed one incorrect challenge per half but there will be no limit on how many times a captain can contest a ruling by the match officials if he continues to be proven right.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
It's still a review and my point was that it is far easier to make a correct decision when you have only the ball and bat in play with snicko and ball tracking in cricket than it is in Rugby League with bodies everywhere and not every angle available to get a correct decision.

As for one per half challenges. It must've changed or the statement below is wrong.

Each team will be allowed one incorrect challenge per half but there will be no limit on how many times a captain can contest a ruling by the match officials if he continues to be proven right.
Snicko and ball tracking are far from infallible. Bat handles creak, shirts/thigh pads make noise. The 3m rule with ball tracking is because of error margin - yet 2m out is treated the same as being back on your stumps for error. Correct decisions - these things were meant to get rid of howlers - now they are used strategically. Tell em your dreaming - son.

And yes - if you watch the Dogs Souffs game - we burnt a review after 5 mins. There were multiple howlers in the 2nd half which we could only sit there and watch. Guessing you cutting and pasting the 2020 rule book too eh?

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are still not addressing the only point I am making...that the NRL public and the media would fully blow up with corruption accusations against the NRL, IF they dropped the Capt Challenge NOW AFTER this major ref/bunker controversy and accuse them of a cover up of gigantic proportions for dropping a rule they made in the first place to try and stop ref decisions that were wrong during the course of a game.
I think I have but I'll try again as you may be influenced by the guy who started this thread with all these so called "corruption accusations".

This thread was due to the Challenge Call made yesterday and the origins of this post are all about corruption based on this decision.

The Captains Challenge come into effect in 2020 so if I'm hearing you right can you tell me a specific moment prior to 2020 and Captains Challenge when everyone was calling the game corrupt? Not saying there hasn't been any of that in the past, Ryan Tandy comes to mind, but if that were the case we wouldn't have the crowds we have today.

I feel the best way to help the on field officials is to keep the Bunker as they have more camera angles than the general public see and usually get most calls correct more often than not.

There are always going to be errors made, no matter what, they're only human but I see the Captains Challenge more trouble than it's worth. Just my opinion.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Anyone got any stats on how often Capt Challenges are correct and refs rulings over turned.

I remember one game this year we had 3? successful capt challenges in a row.

I hate to think how frustrating it would be without the capt challenge now for our team. As fans have said....how bad is it to just put up with the bad calls when we've blown our only capt challenge early in the game.

If they got rid of the challenges, would that really improve the game (or the refs).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I think I have but I'll try again as you may be influenced by the guy who started this thread with all these so called "corruption accusations".

This thread was due to the Challenge Call made yesterday and the origins of this post are all about corruption based on this decision.

The Captains Challenge come into effect in 2020 so if I'm hearing you right can you tell me a specific moment prior to 2020 and Captains Challenge when everyone was calling the game corrupt? Not saying there hasn't been any of that in the past, Ryan Tandy comes to mind, but if that were the case we wouldn't have the crowds we have today.

I feel the best way to help the on field officials is to keep the Bunker as they have more camera angles than the general public see and usually get most calls correct more often than not.

There are always going to be errors made, no matter what, they're only human but I see the Captains Challenge more trouble than it's worth. Just my opinion.
My opinion also and it has nothing to do with outlandish conspiracy theories by OP.

You still haven't addressed the issue of what impact actually dropping the capt challenge would have on the public's perception of that decision.

Think of this. You wake up to morning tv tomorrow telling you Vlad and Annesley have decided to drop the capts challenge rule bc it has caused a problem with the Tigers/Cowboys game and they tell us its more trouble than its worth.

What do you think will happen.

How will the public think and what will the media say about that decision.

Pandemonium that's what and then you'll really get corruption cover up conspiracies.

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Not from this year.
Thanks Doogie. We have some real data to judge it on not just our own prejudices on whether capt challenges are good or bad.

From my perspective, data shows over 50% of refs decisions are incorrect so I personally don't want our capt to lose the ability for the Bulldogs to correct a wrong ref decision.