NRL club bosses believe salary cap is being rorted

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Majority of NRL club bosses believe salary cap is being rorted, according to new poll

An incredible 70 per cent of NRL bosses believe clubs are rorting the salary cap through unreported third-party deals.

Of the 23 club CEOs and chairmen that responded to The Sydney Morning Herald's anonymous poll, 16 said clubs are cheating the system.

More than $4 million in third party deals were registered in 2021, although that's down from $8.2 million in 2017. While COVID-19 could account for some of the drop, rules around those deals were tightened after Parramatta was punished in 2016 for floating the salary cap.

"The NRL have done a good job cleaning up a lot of the confusion and irregularities around third-party agreements," one club boss said, speaking anonymously.

"But many clubs believe that there are still instances where a club will operate outside the TPA rules to secure income for a player. That sort of assistance can make a big difference in signing or keeping a player."

The only surprise is that the majority of NRL Clubs were actually willing to say it.

Always a Bulldog

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Mickey Mouse rules blatantly open to manipulation and rorting if you have the contacts and influence.

The SC is an NRL furphy.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Majority of NRL club bosses believe salary cap is being rorted, according to new poll

An incredible 70 per cent of NRL bosses believe clubs are rorting the salary cap through unreported third-party deals.

Of the 23 club CEOs and chairmen that responded to The Sydney Morning Herald's anonymous poll, 16 said clubs are cheating the system.

More than $4 million in third party deals were registered in 2021, although that's down from $8.2 million in 2017. While COVID-19 could account for some of the drop, rules around those deals were tightened after Parramatta was punished in 2016 for floating the salary cap.

"The NRL have done a good job cleaning up a lot of the confusion and irregularities around third-party agreements," one club boss said, speaking anonymously.

"But many clubs believe that there are still instances where a club will operate outside the TPA rules to secure income for a player. That sort of assistance can make a big difference in signing or keeping a player."

The only surprise is that the majority of NRL Clubs were actually willing to say it.

Always a Bulldog
But it's not a majority. Only 16 CEO/Chairpersons said "clubs were cheating the system", assuming each club has a CEO and a Chairperson, that would constitute only 8 clubs.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But it's not a majority. Only 16 CEO/Chairpersons said "clubs were cheating the system", assuming each club has a CEO and a Chairperson, that would constitute only 8 clubs.
16 out of 23.
Of course a rooster would defend this. [emoji849]

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
16 out of 23.
Of course a rooster would defend this. [emoji849]

Not all CEOs/Chairs responded is my point, and of the 16 that did say others are cheating I'm wondering if they were from the 8 clubs that didn't make the finals?

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Not all CEOs/Chairs responded is my point, and of the 16 that did say others are cheating I'm wondering if they were from the 8 clubs that didn't make the finals?
That’s irrelevant if the claims are true.
Truth is truth regardless of whom speaks it.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

More likely that none of them felt their opinions would remain anonymous! :grinning:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes we must believe everything that commes from the mouth of someone who supporters the rotters.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Unlikely, but let's assume that's true.
It's hardly far-fetched that the top teams don't want probes in to salary cap rorting and suspect third party agreements, least of all, the roosters.
There are clubs trying to compete fairly and clearly calling out what we all know is happening.

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
East - 10000%
Melbourne- definitely were …. Not sure now
Broncos - yes , but lol
titans …. Probably
Canberra - I’d say so
Penrith - yep them too
South’s - see easts
Tigers - lol couldn’t be
Dogs - don’t think so
Sharks - no just the drugs
Saints - yep them too
Cowboys — nah
Warriors — 50/50
Pawwa— hilariously probably
Knights - cheapo club so no
Manly — unlikely

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
So half the teams saying there are rorts and the other half are lying?

The nrlol is crooked itself so of course teams will be crooked too.

Dog4life77

Kennel Established
Reaction score
New to the internet are you?
Definitely not champ..
My point is..if it’s the truth that is being spoken,it is irrelevant who’s mouth it comes from
It doesn’t matter if cheating is called out by us or the Panthers.
So your little dig at the bottom clubs perhaps being jealous of the top and making accusations,is a response I would expect from a supporter who’s club is constantly questioned regarding their ‘cap’.
Was that a little clearer for you?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My argument about Salary Cap cheating is similar to Lance Armstrong and cheating in cycling.

In the NRL, numerous times struggling bottom four clubs have been caught cheating the cap by quite a lot. Obviously we know the top teams do as well but they rarely get caught. If they do, like Melbourne and Cronulla it's after they won a premiership..

In cycling, every other cyclist but Lance Armstrong was caught doping. Yet the one guy who wins the Tour De France every year and overcame cancer isn't doping when everyone else is? I never believed it and always thought Armstrong was a cheat. Which he was.

The same principle applies in the NRL. The bottom clubs can't be cheating the cap while the successful ones aren't. It's just that they're better at hiding it and smarter about how it's applied.. Just because you don't get caught, doesn't mean there's not cheating..

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unlikely, but let's assume that's true.
It's hardly far-fetched that the top teams don't want probes in to salary cap rorting and suspect third party agreements, least of all, the roosters.
There are clubs trying to compete fairly and clearly calling out what we all know is happening.
I disagree mate, every club is trying to gain an advantage over their rivals by circumventing the cap one way or another. Whether it's promoting the area they represent and the lower cost of housing, offering investment programs for players or one on one financial mentoring with experienced board members (I know we offer this), guaranteed placements in local schools for players families (I know the Raiders offer this one), coastal living versus country living versus city living, etc. Clubs will promote these things to get players to sign up and some just do it better than others.

And lets face it, the NRL auditing process can't be that comprehensive as most get caught doing something really stupid, ala Parra putting their cap cheating in the board minutes or they get caught but the NRL turn a blind eye for the sake of embarrassment, ala the Sharks only being cap complaint on the day of their GF win. If the NRL improve their auditing and we get caught cheating the cap, I'm certain we won't be the only ones.