NRL allowed James Segeyaro to make Broncos debut as an unregistered player

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The NRL allowed hooker James Segeyaro to play for the Brisbane Broncos and score the match-winning try against the Roosters in round 10 as an unregistered player.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal Segeyaro’s former club Newtown Jets had not signed the clearance form that is required before a player is registered at another club.

Acting on behalf of the Jets, the NSW Rugby League sent a “please explain” to the NRL last week.

The Sydney Roosters were beaten 15-10 by the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium but have decided against lodging an official complaint.

Still, it is hard to believe that in a billion dollar sport a player can take the field under these circumstances.

Segeyaro joined the Broncos in the days leading up to the game and scored in the second-half to inspire the Broncos’ upset victory.

“The clearance request came through over the weekend on an email after the game,” Jets chief executive Stuart McCarthy said.

“Officially he was unregistered.

“However, it was great to see him get an opportunity in the NRL with the Broncos and we wish him well.”

The decision to allow him to play was made by NRL salary cap auditors who had seen Segeyaro’s contract and other paperwork but not the clearance.

Similar incidents in NSWRL competitions have resulted in the forfeiting of competition points.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/4300b64b4fd156af7ac40d796db163f4

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
They should dock them 2 competition points.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It will be interesting if broncos are sitting on the edge of the 8 come round 26...I'm sure some club will challenge it.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't hate the player, hate the game. How something like this is allowed on the top level is frightening and you have to question what else just doesn't get noticed.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It will be interesting if broncos are sitting on the edge of the 8 come round 26...I'm sure some club will challenge it.
Can't see them doing that.

The NRL approved it.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't hate the player, hate the game. How something like this is allowed on the top level is frightening and you have to question what else just doesn't get noticed.
Like, for example, salary caps for eastern Sydney based clubs?

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes but it can still be challenged in a judicial review on whether due process was followed.
It would be thrown out, as it took them 16 rounds to do anything.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can bet bottom dollar than all Journos woukd be writing stories about us saying we did the wrong and need 2 points docked , Greenberg would cave into the pressure and dock us % . This is what shits me off fucking different rules for different clubs , it’s not even funny it’s just so blatantly obvious . No wonder the nrl loses fans each year

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fuck me dead. And Greenberg and Beattie somehow have jobs.

I'm sure if one of the lesser clubs asked for the same thing they would have been turned away. What a farce of a competition.

If Segeyaro had an Alex McKinnon type injury in that game would he have not been covered for insurance because he wasn't registered?

I can't even play in my local basketball comp if I'm unregistered but they allowed a professional athlete to play unregistered? It's mind boggling...

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I played for a local indigenous side in Kempsey the dunghutti Broncos back in 2009 (u18s) we had 3 gun players return from Dragons SG ball side mid season... CRL said they were registered and could play... yet weeks later when we looked good for 2nd place they found that during 3 games we won they weren't actually registered (or so they say) and we lost 6 points and didn't make the finals... in a comp I believe we would have won. I know it's only local leagues but if they follow said rules I think it's crazy if Broncos are allowed to keep their 2 competition points as it's sets a poor example for all governing bodies across the code and after all isn't 'integrity' what Beattie and Greenburg are all about lol

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I played for a local indigenous side in Kempsey the dunghutti Broncos back in 2009 (u18s) we had 3 gun players return from Dragons SG ball side mid season... CRL said they were registered and could play... yet weeks later when we looked good for 2nd place they found that during 3 games we won they weren't actually registered (or so they say) and we lost 6 points and didn't make the finals... in a comp I believe we would have won. I know it's only local leagues but if they follow said rules I think it's crazy if Broncos are allowed to keep their 2 competition points as it's sets a poor example for all governing bodies across the code and after all isn't 'integrity' what Beattie and Greenburg are all about lol
Well said. They broke the rules to help out Brisbane. Simple. It's blatant favouritism.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
By the way, we lost 2 competition points and it cost us a minor premiership because we had 14 players on the field for 3.5 seconds and the 14th player played no part in the game but Segeyaro can be allowed to play unregistered and score the match winning try and there's no problem with that..

You have to love their consistency...

transporter

Waterboy
Reaction score
Why wasn’t thee broncos penalised for playing an unregistered player.if that was the bulldogs they would of been penalised 2 points. This is discrasfull.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this should be in the general Rugby League section.

But the NRL were the ones that allowed them to play him.

The rules don’t apply to some teams, like Broncos, Roosters, and Melbourne.