News NRL 2023: Speculation growing Mitch Moses could leave Parramatta, sign with Tigers or Bulldogs

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Our forward pack is very overrated. Aside from the greatness of King and Kikau, we have nothing much else. Thompson is a confirmed bust imo and TPJ has no consistency or trust from me that suggests he is gonna be good next year. RFM is solid but we need way more additions to make to elite or up there in the comp. We missed bad out on Klemmer, he’s someone we should have got.
Experienced and committed players like Thompson and RFM are important for younger guys like Pele to develop their game.
I'd be more than happy to get to a situation where the bench includes Thompson and RFM. But we're not there yet.
About 99% of my excitement for next year is knowing I won't see JMK throw a single pass in front of, behind, below or above, or too slow or too fast to a Bulldogs receiver.
The other 1% is knowing Wayne Bennett signed JMK.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Experienced and committed players like Thompson and RFM are important for younger guys like Pele to develop their game.
I'd be more than happy to get to a situation where the bench includes Thompson and RFM. But we're not there yet.
About 99% of my excitement for next year is knowing I won't see JMK throw a single pass in front of, behind, below or above, or too slow or too fast to a Bulldogs receiver.
The other 1% is knowing Wayne Bennett signed JMK.
I guess but that is really Thompsons only value being off field antics in training/leadership and group kind of guy. No excuses at all to him from me, he gotta show a whole lot to even be considered of getting resigned from beyond next season.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm pretty intrigued by a Rajab/Burton combination from a skills crossover perspective.

Rajab probably isn't ready to take over straight away but getting Moses means that Rajab doesn't get a real opportunity for 4-5 years.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes.

Greg was a very good goal-kicker too. I think he ended up down the South Coast somewhere (Shoalhaven?)
Had that crafty/"shifty" aspect to his play as well.
He was, yeah pretty certain he played for Ulladulla for quite some time. Not close to him so haven't seen or spoken since I ran into him down there once when he was playing.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kind of right although it took 10 years before the Cowboys saw a premiership and JT played 7 for the Cows and 6 for QLD and Aus.
Yes it did take 10 years but isn't Thurston supposed to be the "GOAT" along with Johns according to the media? They have a strong case if they over look their career GF record compared to Turvey, Lamb, Sterlo etc.
JT breaks the mould of those that say that a 6 can't play HB and the Cowboys at least made the GF in his first year at HB.

The Dog House

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You are correct that Thurston wasn't a superstar in 2004, but the signs were all there for anyone except Bulldogs coaching staff to see.

My friends son played in the lower grades in 2003 and I got to see Thurston going around for reggies, which he absolutely dominated. He was more than OK when he got into first grade, but we were a bit disappointed that he didn't immediately carry his reserve grade form over. He was still learning his craft though, and you could see the improvement week by week. He actually scored about a dozen tries in 2004 (among other things) in limited appearances.
I’m not saying Burton will have a career anywhere near as good as JT, but are you saying he showed more signs than Burton in his early years of first grade? Mix that with Burtons junior years being impacted massively with COVID

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct that Thurston wasn't a superstar in 2004, but the signs were all there for anyone except Bulldogs coaching staff to see.

My friends son played in the lower grades in 2003 and I got to see Thurston going around for reggies, which he absolutely dominated. He was more than OK when he got into first grade, but we were a bit disappointed that he didn't immediately carry his reserve grade form over. He was still learning his craft though, and you could see the improvement week by week. He actually scored about a dozen tries in 2004 (among other things) in limited appearances.
My memories of Thurston in first grade 2004 was that he was slow to react to openings and a fair number of poor decisions when he had the ball and while he had some ability we had star halves in Sherwin who was on fire that year and Anasta was by far our best player in 2001 and maintained good form onwards to 2004.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep and when did Thurston win that premiership with the Cowboys? Ten years later.
Thurston got the Cowboys to their first ever GF in his first year. I don't rate Thurston as the GOAT like many do on TK but he made a huge difference to the Cowboys and he proved that a 6 can make a transition to 7 in quick time if they have the quality and are adaptable.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m not saying Burton will have a career anywhere near as good as JT, but are you saying he showed more signs than Burton in his early years of first grade? Mix that with Burtons junior years being impacted massively with COVID
I hesitate to compare 2022 Burton with 2004 Thurston as there are too many imponderables to weigh up. Burton did show us some flashes of pure genius together with a few mistakes, but he is already one of the best 5/8ths going around and has plenty of improvement left in him. He was better for NSW and Australia than he was for the Dogs. That could mean he's a better centre or he looks better surrounded by better players. IMO it means he feels he is the guy that has to make things happen for the Dogs, but, in rep matches, there are plenty of team mates making things happen. If I am right, then having a quality half alongside him will take some of the pressure off.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've lost our last 2 grand finals because we didn't have strong halves (7) who were even somewhat close to the best ones running around at that time.

We've all bemoaned the last 8 years and been hoping for something to change. We've picked up a few good players but nothing will change greatly, until we significantly improve our 7. Even with his history of fading in big games Moses is still clearly the best available, those who are better are locked up. We already tried Hunt but the Dragons were smart enough to keep him. We can say Moses is too expensive, well that's market rates and it won't change in the next 3 years anyway.

Nathan Cleary is a generational talent who will be remembered like A Johns at least. He's also incredibly rare as 7s don't come along so young and inexperienced and then immediately play at an elite 7 level. There's not an army of Nathan Cleary clones waiting to be snapped up in the lower grades so lets move on from that idea.

There are no guarantees of a grand final win, but we have 2 options to give us a much better chance of winning one in 2024 or 2025.
1 We sign Moses who is available.
2 We kidnap Cleary, bring in a plastic surgeon to reduce his chin and make him look like Flanno and then we send him out as the new Flanno.

Otherwise, we'll be having these same conversations about our lack of recent success for the next 4 or 5 years.
>We've lost our last 2 grand finals because we didn't have strong halves (7) who were even somewhat close to the best ones running around at that time.
Our halves then had NO playmaking ability even with the best forward pack and the best FB in 2012 and a strong forward pack in 2014. That's why Des had the forwards doing the playmaking because our halves were shite.
It's different this time because Burton is far superior to our halves in 2012/14.

>Moses is still clearly the best available
He's not available until 2024. Who else will be available?

>He's also incredibly rare as 7s don't come along so young and inexperienced and then immediately play at an elite 7 level
Cleary won his first GF at 24.
Turvey won his first GF at the same age, Sterlo at 21, Stuart at 23, DCE at 22, Morris at 22, Alexander at 25, Langer at 26, Hasler at 26. Even Pearce of crap won a GF at 24 but that sort of doesn't count because he was a liability in a stacked chooks side. Chad Townsend at 25 but he was carried by Maloney.
A HB winning a GF in his early to mid 20's has been done a number of times.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Fletch and Joel Caine both have tipped Moses to the dogs..
https://vt.tiktok.com/ZS8LJTxnT/
Out of all of them they hesitated on them all except Nanai and that was a “they can’t let him go” neither flinched on moses and both seemed like it was very confident answer? I don’t think they have any link to us but maybe I’m reading into it to much? Or hoping [emoji23]

Funny enough Joel was fast re Crichton to us but fletch said panthers.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Out of all of them they hesitated on them all except Nanai and that was a “they can’t let him go” neither flinched on moses and both seemed like it was very confident answer? I don’t think they have any link to us but maybe I’m reading into it to much? Or hoping [emoji23]

Funny enough Joel was fast re Crichton to us but fletch said panthers.
Sounded pretty confident but Fletch gives off the vibe of primary school kid that confidently screamed out the answer to the teachers question....incorrectly :tearsofjoy: