News NRL 2021: Ivan Cleary tells Trent Barrett to back off Matt Burton

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
As long as TBAZ does what he needs to and it benefits our doggies then let the war begin,Cleary and the panthers can suck it.!!!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If we lose Averillo due to playing Allen at fullback that is absolute madness. I think the signing of Allan may bite us in the ass.
Why? Averillo is completely untested at fullback, whereas Allan has proven himself to be very good there. If Averillo is good enough to earn a spine position in our best 17, he’ll be named in it. He’s still young and inexperienced. A year or two at centre or as a utility wouldn’t do him any harm at this stage. If he wants out, not much we can do.... gotta pick our best 17.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
What has Burton proved though?
At this stage of their careers, Barrett seems to view him as a better halves option than Jake. That’s all that matters.

Burton is a half through and through. Averillo is a talented young player who is still searching for his best position, imo.

Can he post prop? Could be handy in this age of smaller, more mobile front rowers.... lol.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1) If the Napa sitch is correct, and they wanted us to foot that much of his bill - 100% with Baz here. Pay 500k for a player, whose service you are not getting for this season, to swap for a player who will be yours in 8 months time? Good one, mate.

2) Fuck Clearly and the Panthers the hypocrits.

3) #FreeBurton

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
At this stage of their careers, Barrett seems to view him as a better halves option than Jake. That’s all that matters.

Burton is a half through and through. Averillo is a talented young player who is still searching for his best position, imo.

Can he post prop? Could be handy in this age of smaller, more mobile front rowers.... lol.
Burton was playing on the wing only a couple years ago, not like he has this long history of being a gun playmaker through the juniors like some people think on here.

Burton is ahead of Jake in terms of development but he has played and has been developed in a far superior system compared the garbage Jake had to put up with in a team that struggles to even score two tries lol.

Both are great talents so I don't see why some people need to put down one to praise the other when circumstances have been completely different for the two.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Genuine question to people who have seen Averillo play in the lower grades. Is he really that good? Yes, I can see he's got some talent but the way people carry on about him would make you think that he's the next Barba....for all we know, he could be another Bevan French..
He seems very vulnerable to hard tackles. He's not a proven star just yet. If he's as good as some think he'll find a place even if it's on the wing or centre. When I've watched his highlights he was always wearing either number 1 or 4. Don't know if he has any real experience playing in the halves. If he can learn to tackle better he could be a good centre option to replace Hopa.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I watched Avos game v Souths ( the game we won last season to avoid the spoon) the other day. He did nothing all game. Its beyond me what u guys all see in him. He was nothing special in his FG appearances last year. Not saying he doesn't have potential, just that he doesn't deserve a walk up start to a FG spot.
If I recall correctly he was carrying an injury in that game. A hip strain or something.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s possible that Penrith are holding out on Burton in case the jarome luai deal falls over. Once they get that over the line they may be more inclined to release Burton.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I’d say more than Avo in his limited opportunities albeit behind a better pack

Personally I believe Burton is the better option at 6, you may differ and that’s fine as I know you think Burton is ‘overrated’.

Avo gives us a utility X factor off the bench.
No I agree Burton is probably the better 6 right now, I just don't think the gap between the two is all that big. A young half is always going to make mistakes and struggle at times and playing for Bulldogs vs Panthers last season was two totally different things. As I have previously said I believe Burton would've been picked to bits for every little thing if he was already playing for us by some on here...imagine if he was playing for us when he missed 5 field goals in one game lol.

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
No I agree Burton is probably the better 6 right now, I just don't think the gap between the two is all that big. A young half is always going to make mistakes and struggle at times and playing for Bulldogs vs Panthers last season was two totally different things. As I have previously said I believe Burton would've been picked to bits for every little thing if he was already playing for us by some on here...imagine if he was playing for us when he missed 5 field goals in one game lol.
There like vultures probably paid by other clubs to pretend to be Bulldogs supporters and attack anything with negativity

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It'll bite Cleary in the arse this.

Mental that they've pushed players out, but keeping a young guy on only to sit on the sidelines behind new players Cleary brought in. Such bad treatment of players will only come back to him.

We can all talk about contracts needing to be honoured, but that's not how it goes these days. And Penrith have hardly honoured their contracts this year.

My prediction is that Cleary will get badly exposed this year.
Agree I do think there needs to be a free agency window introduced but until there is this is how it goes

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
The way some of these idiots speak about people and the club would literally turn people away from NRL completely who would want to play and have this negative spore coming at them there's more important things in life than putting up with assholes abuse the money isn't worth it

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Burton was playing on the wing only a couple years ago, not like he has this long history of being a gun playmaker through the juniors like some people think on here.

Burton is ahead of Jake in terms of development but he has played and has been developed in a far superior system compared the garbage Jake had to put up with in a team that struggles to even score two tries lol.

Both are great talents so I don't see why some people need to put down one to praise the other when circumstances have been completely different for the two.
I don't think I said anything that could be construed as putting him down, dude. I haven't really seen anyone putting him down.....No dount he is a great talent and the state the club has been in recently has held him back, but Burton is clearly Barrett's choice to play in the six and I don't think there's any way he won't be playing there once he is available to play for us.

We finally have a new coaching staff and an improving roster. I want to give our coach the chance to make the right decisions before questioning him. If barrett thinks Burton is the better option at this stage, that's good enough for me ....at least for the time being..

Last edited:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I watched Avos game v Souths ( the game we won last season to avoid the spoon) the other day. He did nothing all game. Its beyond me what u guys all see in him. He was nothing special in his FG appearances last year. Not saying he doesn't have potential, just that he doesn't deserve a walk up start to a FG spot.
Your a smart man, trying to convince yourself that he's average because with Burton coming it's likely he will eventually leave. Wish I couldn't get attached but it's too late.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Agree I do think there needs to be a free agency window introduced but until there is this is how it goes
Maybe all contracts now negotiated should have the last year in the player's favour so they can leave if opportunities are better elsewhere?

If I was a player agent that's the kind of contract I'd propose to my players.

Tough on clubs maybe but players could decide to leave, if in their best interests, without this Cleary malarky.

The clubs dump them when it suits them so that power in the hands of players, might help make these decisions more clear cut going forward for their careers.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

You're the one who keeps doubting Burton and calling him overhyped to praise Averillo. You basically started this whole narrative of comparing one to the other when we don't need to as we have both..

You're right, they're both great young talents who we're lucky to have. I don't think it's disrespectful to Averillo or overyhyping Burton to think Burton is a better player or more ready to contribute at this stage.

You ask what Burton has proven, he was man of the match with two tries and a try assist in one game and he was very good in the other he started while he was the dominant playmaker ahead of a rep half in Luai who himself was brilliant last season.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You're the one who keeps doubting Burton and calling him overhyped to praise Averillo. You basically started this whole narrative of comparing one to the other when we don't need to as we have both..

You're right, they're both great young talents who we're lucky to have. I don't think it's disrespectful to Averillo or overyhyping Burton to think Burton is a better player or more ready to contribute at this stage.

You ask what Burton has proven, he was man of the match with two tries and a try assist in one game and he was very good in the other he started while he was the dominant playmaker ahead of a rep half in Luai who himself was brilliant last season.
I'm not doubting him and I have said he 's probably the better half at this stage, but he's defenitely overhyped when there's posters talking about us finishing top 4 with him and acting like he's the finished product when he barely has a couple a games to his name.