NRL $200m USA TV Rights

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
NRL closes in on historic five-year American TV rights deal
The NRL is closing in on a deal to beam premiership matches live on American prime time television in a coup which would net the code north of $200 million.

Always a Bulldog

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This guy can sell ice to eskimo and I don't know how he managed to get 200m.

I'd love to see the numbers of watchNRL subs sold in the US which is $230 AUD.

Edit - can't even access it connected to the US via VPN, looks like the deal is done.

Can connect to Canada fine and bring it up.

Last edited:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The timing actually works though. Early afternoon on the east coast of Oz is prime time the night before in the US.

If would line up even better for NZ games (unless i'm getting it the wrong way around?).

Last edited:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
NRL closes in on historic five-year American TV rights deal
The NRL is closing in on a deal to beam premiership matches live on American prime time television in a coup which would net the code north of $200 million.

Always a Bulldog
BTW, is there an article attached to the headline? :grinning:

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As I’ve stated in the Vegas promo thread. If this guy can generate any revenue out of this venture for the game, he’s a pure genius.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As I’ve stated in the Vegas promo thread. If this guy can generate any revenue out of this venture for the game, he’s a pure genius.
He has signed a deal, international streaming access has been pulled from the US (its available everywhere outside AUS, NZ and the Pacific Islands).

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gotta give credit to Vlandys, guy knows how to make money.

That's just a start, with the size of the US market, could grow to a billion in the next decade.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
$200 million sounds great but when they waste it on operating costs or stupid ventures that aren't the grassroots of the game or junior Rugby League (which is getting less and less funding by the year despite the NRL getting more TV money than ever), then it's hard to get excited about it.

They've probably spent $10-$20 million just on these Vegas games alone..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Gotta give credit to Vlandys, guy knows how to make money.

That's just a start, with the size of the US market, could grow to a billion in the next decade.
Zero chance.. They still barely even watch/care about football and that's after having players like Beckham, Zlatan, Messi etc in their league. And that's obviously a much bigger sport than Rugby League. They still call Rugby League Rugby, even after all of this promotion..

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
200m/40m a year over 5 years, he’d have to sell 170k+ sub in the US a year on watchNRL to make that money.. can’t believe he managed to get that.

Last edited:

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Zero chance.. They still barely even watch/care about football and that's after having players like Beckham, Zlatan, Messi etc in their league. And that's obviously a much bigger sport than Rugby League. They still call Rugby League Rugby, even after all of this promotion..
Yes but Rugby League would probably suit their culture, they love impact sports. I can see the potential.

Last edited:

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
200m/40m a year over 5 years, he’d have to sell 170k+ sub in the US a year on watchNRL to make that money.. can’t believe he managed to get that.
Blokes a genius. Without him at the helm, I’d hate to see the state the game would be in moving forward. Especially after covid.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure how anyone can think this is a bad thing. I'm no Vlandys fan by any means, but this brings in additional revenue with no additional content required and grows the game through exposure to the US domestic market.

There is huge upside potential in this market, with people's attention spans becoming shorter and shorter, they may be receptive to a game that's 80 minutes of fat pace, high intensity contact where NFL games take 4 hours to complete with endless stoppages.

Don't try to twist my words, I'm not saying we are going to take over the NFL, but I think there's a place for NRL over there.

My only concern is the NRL actually using the money effectively (grass roots, etc) but this is an existing concern, not specific to the US venture.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me it won't have much to do with them embracing the game and all to do with if they like betting on it. If it's the latter, then assume the NRL will be able to extract much more in future.