Non-binding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's one point of Des wanting his money.

Dib took him off the market, by saying he re-signed for 2 more years.

He could have gone for the Souths job etc, but clubs thought he was unavailable.
This is true but there’s nothing to have stopped Des from ensuring his contract was binding or telling the club he would be on the market. There are arguments on both sides that need to be heard. Also we don’t know whether there was a binding contract or not. (Posted in another thread)

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
From what I read I think the club stuffed up. Why re-sign him in round 3 or 4 when in reality it was non binding.

I think dib is talking crap to try save his ass as the chairmen who paid out a coach a contract he never started.

He might offer him the nsw coaching job as an incentive to drop the suit against us. Like hey des you got the nsw job if you don't start legal action for a payout. And we'll give you this amount if you do.

For a club that posted a loss last year it's annoying to read the wreckless nature of contracts. Now needing a Hasler payout and contributing to Grahams contract. We are starting the year behind every other team.....

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is more than one rule in the laws of contract and equity. Given the dogs conduct, even if the official nrl contract was not signed there was an agreement. A contract does not need to be in writing to be valid. And then there is the problem of estoppel. Given the announcements and conduct of the Chairman and the CEO about Des having been extended for the next two years, can the dogs be estopped from not going ahead with the agreement. And what about misrepresentation. Did not Dib represent publicly Des had been appointed for another two years. If this was not in fact so, then is not the club guilty of engaging in misleading or deceptive conduct or conduct likely to mislead or deceive? Rugby League is at law considered to be in trade and commerce. Perhaps Dib is personally liable. That will shake him in his boots. Dib has to go.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it was non binding then why did dib announce Haller signed for another 2 years!
This is where we will fall over context is everything and if there was communication to the same effect behind the scenes a contract will be inferred

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is where we will fall over context is everything and if there was communication to the same effect behind the scenes a contract will be inferred
I wonder if Eastwood's contract is binding??? Who else do we need to get rid of???

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And what about misrepresentation. Did not Dib represent publicly Des had been appointed for another two years. If this was not in fact so, then is not the club guilty of engaging in misleading or deceptive conduct or conduct likely to mislead or deceive?
You had me until there, who would have standing?

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is true but there’s nothing to have stopped Des from ensuring his contract was binding or telling the club he would be on the market. There are arguments on both sides that need to be heard. Also we don’t know whether there was a binding contract or not. (Posted in another thread)
But if Dib comes out like he did and says publicly that Des has a contract for the next two years then Des thinks the contract is binding. Dibs side has been heard by millions of people so how can that be defended??

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
No doubt in my mind the club will have to cough up.

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All these arguments are irrelevant if there was a top 8 clause for 2017 in the heads of agreement

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the time of signing HOA perhaps des took the gamble to agree to top 8 clause thinking how could he coach a side to miss 8, things transpired against him big time after that including JR leaving which obviously upset team morale, as well as his continued stubborness ie. not playing to win but playing not to lose.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I take it people are just making up this top 8 clause bullshit?
Please name one coach who has ever agreed to a top 8 clause in their contract?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
People need to get over that the club intended re signing des in april we wanted des gone and hes gone be happy let the past go

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People need to get over that the club intended re signing des in april we wanted des gone and hes gone be happy let the past go
Lol
I agree. Unless someone here has a proven law firm i will then believe what is and what isn't.
But no harm in trying to interpret the law.
It's our opinions that bring us here.

Status
Not open for further replies.