Opinion No need for Dolphins

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Does anyone else think there is clearly no need for a 17th team when all they are doing is stealing players from other first grade teams to make up their own which just dilutes the talent of the League?

If they were going to bring in extra teams it should be somewhere with at least some of their own players that don’t fit in the NRL at the moment. PNG or Perth are only options I see to grow the game. PNG would be very hard to attract non local players though. Also hard to guarantee quality of stadium and security.

Just seems like such a poor move by the NRL. The junior talent just doesn’t exist at the moment.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
17th team sucks. As would 18th, but be interesting, dolphins aren’t needed, but watching the transformation will be ok.

foREVerA7X

Kennel Established
Reaction score
One hundred percent. I actually agreed with Joey saying we needed to downscale the teams as there isn't enough quality players to have competitive competition.

Only other way is to bring back an actual full time reserve grade and pay them enough to live off. Stronger that is, stronger first grade would be. It's too hard for players to be a chippy all week and train and play as well.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t really see how it expands the game.. going to WA or SA would be more of an expansion or a second team in NZ say Wellington. Gold Coast is only down the freeway and they have always been a bottom 8 team throughout their history so they are not really picking up the overflow of talent from Brisbane that Dolphins would supposedly target.

Good luck I guess.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don’t really see how it expands the game.. going to WA or SA would be more of an expansion or a second team in NZ say Wellington. Gold Coast is only down the freeway and they have always been a bottom 8 team throughout their history so they are not really picking up the overflow of talent from Brisbane that Dolphins would supposedly target.

Good luck I guess.
Yea exactly. Titans are absolute proof that there isn’t an overflow of talent not getting a go. Even though the Gold Coast is probably the most attractive location to live out of the NRL teams.

Where are the Dolphins even playing out of? Suncorp?

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Too many QLD teams now, only just got used to Titans, Hopefully not another NZ team boring, Bring back the Bears next.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea exactly. Titans are absolute proof that there isn’t an overflow of talent not getting a go. Even though the Gold Coast is probably the most attractive location to live out of the NRL teams.

Where are the Dolphins even playing out of? Suncorp?
The storm either by good managemant or just luck has been picking up a lot of Qld tallant, depriving the Gold coast of the oppurtunity to succeed.
With the Dulphins comming, I think that at the end of the day something is going to give, and the game will only suffer as a result.

Dyldog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Will just be another uncompetitive team like at least 8 teams in the competing at the moment.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
In reality there is really only enough quality talent for 12 teams. You could get away with 14... But yeah 17 is too much.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It was a short term money grab. The lack of distribution in talent and gap between the top 2-4 teams and everyone else has never been wider, so this is the worst time to expand. An uneven number of teams also fucks the competition.

V'landys has the most backward view for the game and expansion. He wants more teams on the Eastern Seaboard when we need less and refuses to expand into Perth when it's been the most logical choice for a decade plus.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It was a short term money grab. The lack of distribution in talent and gap between the top 2-4 teams and everyone else has never been wider, so this is the worst time to expand. An uneven number of teams also fucks the competition.

V'landys has the most backward view for the game and expansion. He wants more teams on the Eastern Seaboard when we need less and refuses to expand into Perth when it's been the most logical choice for a decade plus.
Perth is a no brainer. I can’t understand the logic behind people still opposing it. Massive opportunity for junior development. Large existing NRL supporter base from east coast imports. Great stadium in Perth. Lots of money. Large indigenous population, Rugby League has been huge for young indigenous kids.

Then you have the Bears saying they would move to Perth. Huge supporter base still and going into the most logical location. Just makes no sense. Titans have barely any fans or juniors and then we go and add in the dolphins….

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The next team is going to be an NZ team by the sounds of it.

They seem to think there is a massive talent pool here, the reality is far from it.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
the fact Melbourne's academy is on the sunshine coast instead of in melbourne is a bit of a joke as well

Reaction score
there's no more extra games so what was the use? no extra tv revenue, no extra betting revenue, adding 1 team does nothing except thin out an already low pool

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Does anyone else think there is clearly no need for a 17th team when all they are doing is stealing players from other first grade teams to make up their own which just dilutes the talent of the League?

If they were going to bring in extra teams it should be somewhere with at least some of their own players that don’t fit in the NRL at the moment. PNG or Perth are only options I see to grow the game. PNG would be very hard to attract non local players though. Also hard to guarantee quality of stadium and security.

Just seems like such a poor move by the NRL. The junior talent just doesn’t exist at the moment.
I'd actually go down to 14 teams tbh

Merge an move teams, 1 to Perth (perfect for tv) and 1 to Darwin.