News No contract extension yet but Pay has players' support

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/02...-but-dean-pay-has-canterbury-players-support/

Bulldogs captain Josh Jackson says the entire team wants Dean Pay to extend his time at the club because there is so much yet to learn off him.

Pay is only into his second year with Canterbury but is off contract at the end of the 2019 Telstra Premiership season.

Jackson says Pay is easy to get along with and admires his old-fashioned work ethic.

"He's just an honest and genuine bloke basically, that's why everyone loves him," Jackson told NRL.com.

"What you see is what you get and in terms of footy he is very smart and his preparation is fantastic.

"He's a very hard worker – the first person in here each morning and the last to leave at night."

Pay toured with the 1994 Kangaroos tourist and played 12 Origins for NSW. He won a premiership with the Dogs in 1995 and his overall playing record commands respect among the players.

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay. ©Shane Myers/NRL Photos
Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill said recent reports that extension talks had begun between the club and Pay were premature.

Pay's tenure at the club is not under any kind of cloud as a result of the controversial end-of-season Mad Monday incident.

It's understood the club's hierarchy feels he needs a fresh start after a year of roster upheavals in 2018 to fully showcase his coaching abilities.

"Dean and I talk on a daily basis about a whole heap of things," Hill said.

"The reality is we'll continue to talk and at a time it suits the club and Dean, we’ll progress those [contract] talks."

Jackson said Pay had helped behind the scenes enormously to keep the team tight last season.

"He had a tough year last year," Jackson said.

"Hopefully we can start the year well for him, get those few wins, to take the pressure of him.

"Dean is a world class coach. He is very well respected by the players. He has shaped a great rapport with all of us."

Jackson's own contract status means the 28-year-old is not a free agent until two months out from his 30th birthday (the end of 2020).

He knows reaching the 30s is always a precarious moment for a football player, especially a forward, seeking the last one or two contracts of his career.

Jackson has been a constant presence at the Bulldogs – about to enter his eighth NRL season – and it's something he wants to see continue.

From the 2014 grand final team, he and Aiden Tolman are the only survivors. Josh Morris, Josh Reynolds, James Graham, Moses Mbye, Greg Eastwood and David Klemmer have all exited in the past 15 months.

Bulldogs prop Aiden Tolman. ©Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
"I'd love to stay here and I'd love to play for as long as I can," Jackson said.

"I don't know what that next contract will look like but I'm feeling pretty good at the moment and hopefully there will be one."

Jackson's defence of Napa

Jackson insisted he hasn't been worn down by the salary cap upheavals and off-field issues.

"Not at all. I love the club. They've given me all the opportunities and everything I have outside of football as well," he said.

"I'd like to repay that for being here as long as I can – I want to be a one-club player."

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
*if you can for a minute just picture Baseball Furies on the ground bowing down to Josh Jackson....

He epitomises everything our club has always been about and will continue to be about.

Genuine love and respect for the bloke.
Yeah agree with that. Never liked Ennis as a captain because I hate grubby players and I wasn't that keen on Graham either because of his cringy rage outbursts. Jackson is just head down, hard working lead by example.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Notice Jackson saying how smart a coach Pay is, and what an incredible work ethic he has?
It's a shame some posters on here love giving it to him saying how dumb he is etc etc. Just because he speaks like your average aussie from the country, doesn't mean he is stupid!!
I think the dogs are going to have a very good year, and Pays coaching and leadership Will have a lot to do with it!

Last edited:

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
*if you can for a minute just picture Baseball Furies on the ground bowing down to Josh Jackson....

He epitomises everything our club has always been about and will continue to be about.

Genuine love and respect for the bloke.
Great decision by Pay to make Jackson captain when it would have been just as easy to pick J Morris or Tolman. He’s continuing to grow in leadership and stature as well, you can see it.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jackson insisted he hasn't been worn down by the salary cap upheavals and off-field issues. "Not at all. I love the club. They've given me all the opportunities and everything I have outside of football as well," he said. "I'd like to repay that for being here as long as I can – I want to be a one-club player."

Shouldn't have said that, Hahahaha..... Nrl investigation coming up!

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/02...-but-dean-pay-has-canterbury-players-support/

Bulldogs captain Josh Jackson says the entire team wants Dean Pay to extend his time at the club because there is so much yet to learn off him.

Pay is only into his second year with Canterbury but is off contract at the end of the 2019 Telstra Premiership season.

Jackson says Pay is easy to get along with and admires his old-fashioned work ethic.

"He's just an honest and genuine bloke basically, that's why everyone loves him," Jackson told NRL.com.

"What you see is what you get and in terms of footy he is very smart and his preparation is fantastic.

"He's a very hard worker – the first person in here each morning and the last to leave at night."

Pay toured with the 1994 Kangaroos tourist and played 12 Origins for NSW. He won a premiership with the Dogs in 1995 and his overall playing record commands respect among the players.

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay. ©Shane Myers/NRL Photos
Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill said recent reports that extension talks had begun between the club and Pay were premature.

Pay's tenure at the club is not under any kind of cloud as a result of the controversial end-of-season Mad Monday incident.

It's understood the club's hierarchy feels he needs a fresh start after a year of roster upheavals in 2018 to fully showcase his coaching abilities.

"Dean and I talk on a daily basis about a whole heap of things," Hill said.

"The reality is we'll continue to talk and at a time it suits the club and Dean, we’ll progress those [contract] talks."

Jackson said Pay had helped behind the scenes enormously to keep the team tight last season.

"He had a tough year last year," Jackson said.

"Hopefully we can start the year well for him, get those few wins, to take the pressure of him.

"Dean is a world class coach. He is very well respected by the players. He has shaped a great rapport with all of us."

Jackson's own contract status means the 28-year-old is not a free agent until two months out from his 30th birthday (the end of 2020).

He knows reaching the 30s is always a precarious moment for a football player, especially a forward, seeking the last one or two contracts of his career.

Jackson has been a constant presence at the Bulldogs – about to enter his eighth NRL season – and it's something he wants to see continue.

From the 2014 grand final team, he and Aiden Tolman are the only survivors. Josh Morris, Josh Reynolds, James Graham, Moses Mbye, Greg Eastwood and David Klemmer have all exited in the past 15 months.

Bulldogs prop Aiden Tolman. ©Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
"I'd love to stay here and I'd love to play for as long as I can," Jackson said.

"I don't know what that next contract will look like but I'm feeling pretty good at the moment and hopefully there will be one."

Jackson's defence of Napa

Jackson insisted he hasn't been worn down by the salary cap upheavals and off-field issues.

"Not at all. I love the club. They've given me all the opportunities and everything I have outside of football as well," he said.

"I'd like to repay that for being here as long as I can – I want to be a one-club player."
Dean Pay is a legend, he loves the club and the players. He has turned the club around and are now playing real footy. People under estimate the dogs, but it’s not just about experience, it’s about entertaining. The dogs are back and will shock a lot of haters. I predict Foran and Lewis to shine.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great report which really highlights the esteem that the players have for the coach.
The club wont win every game, but the opposing teams will remember the match when they look at the bruises they have.
And thats because of the Dean Pay influence. I suppose this report will be ridiculed by the resident expert, who is missing at the moment.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Notice Jackson saying how smart a coach Pay is, and what an incredible work ethic he has?
It's a shame some posters on here love giving it to him saying how dumb he is etc etc. Just because he speaks like your average aussie from the country, doesn't mean you stupid!!
I think the songs are going to have a very good year, and Pays coaching and leadership Will have a lot to do with it!
Pay's CV speaks for itself... sure it's all in the younger grades, but it's still quite impressive

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fuck any contract extension till towards the end of the year. Simple as that.

What happened to proving your worth first. If he fucks up this year then send him packing and bring in someone who will take us forward.

If we are somewhat successful and Pay sets the team up for future success, only then re-sign him

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

What happened to proving your worth first. If he fucks up this year then send him packing and bring in someone who will take us forward.

If we are somewhat successful and Pay sets the team up for future success, only then re-sign him
Problem with that will be that it is difficult to attract players if they don't know who the coach will be.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We should have faith in pay.. we are the mighty doggies, we may have struggled the last couple of years but you can GUARANTEE we will be back !!! It’s in the blue an white DNA... and he brings that with him!! we will be a dominant force in the NRL once again.

I have complete trust in pay an co, until they give me reason not too.

2019 D O G G S

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Problem with that will be that it is difficult to attract players if they don't know who the coach will be.
Thats not true at all. Too many coaches are sacked and replaced while searching for players. Most players are mercenaries these days and will sell their soul for more money... eg Klemmer

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the most humble blokes is Jacko... not an ideal start last year as captain but that's all behind us now and the future looks bright
as a captain, i thought he had a great year tbh

can't evaluate everything on results.

he had and still has alot going against him, including:

* Board issues at start of season
* Falling out from Des departure
* Leadership group decimated over course of last 2 season mostly due to salary cap mis-management

despite all this, it was clear the players respected him, he spoke well to the media, didn't act like a child to the refs and always lead from the front effort wise.

There will come a time, where jackson will be near the end of his career and the new wave of young kennel members will constantly bag him (ala andrew ryan) till he retires and they'll forget how great a club man he was from the very begining of his career and how he helped this club through a tough period.

Re Pay, i would probably give an extra year now but hold off anything beyond that

i'm not sure he is a long term first grade coach but he still the type of guy we need for now and roster/salary cap position isn't luring a top coach anyways so i don't see the harm in giving pay these next 2 seasons to establish himself, gives us as a club more time to evaluate him wile also not having the constant speculating this season

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
as a captain, i thought he had a great year tbh

can't evaluate everything on results.

he had and still has alot going against him, including:

* Board issues at start of season
* Falling out from Des departure
* Leadership group decimated over course of last 2 season mostly due to salary cap mis-management

despite all this, it was clear the players respected him, he spoke well to the media, didn't act like a child to the refs and always lead from the front effort wise.

There will come a time, where jackson will be near the end of his career and the new wave of young kennel members will constantly bag him (ala andrew ryan) till he retires and they'll forget how great a club man he was from the very begining of his career and how he helped this club through a tough period... the mess we were in at certain other clubs could have potentially dragged on for at least a couple of seasons

Re Pay, i would probably give an extra year now but hold off anything beyond that

i'm not sure he is a long term first grade coach but he still the type of guy we need for now and roster/salary cap position isn't luring a top coach anyways so i don't see the harm in giving pay these next 2 seasons to establish himself, gives us as a club more time to evaluate him wile also not having the constant speculating this season

I think Jackson is going to be one of our great captains tbh.. and you're right, last year at one point it was all doom n gloom, but going into 2019 there is real buzz around the club.. the players seem happier and tighter than they have done in many seasons... I think the leadership group and the board have done an amazing job in such a short period

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thats not true at all. Too many coaches are sacked and replaced while searching for players. Most players are mercenaries these days and will sell their soul for more money... eg Klemmer
But Klemmer didn't go to the Knights without knowing who the coach was.

A good coach is always important in attracting the best players.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score

Seriously what exactly are you expecting from this team? Give the guy a chance to build the team he wants. He hasn’t been able to do anything because of our cap other than sign a few fringe players. He should be awarded a two year extension to see what happens once he is active in the player market and able to build the team he desires

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Its all bullshit saying we have to wait seeing how he goes during the season. He has already proven as far as i care with what he did with the shit he had to put up with last year. Now some of us are saying they can make the 8. Yeah why not. The players he has brought through to fg like Lewis and the younger guys are there because pay believes in them. The admin is smart and they know that stability in a team is important. The players need to know who is going to coach them especially if they have signed under Pay. Pay will be signed and good luck to him.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its all bullshit saying we have to wait seeing how he goes during the season. He has already proven as far as i care with what he did with the shit he had to put up with last year. Now some of us are saying they can make the 8. Yeah why not. The players he has brought through to fg like Lewis and the younger guys are there because pay believes in them. The admin is smart and they know that stability in a team is important. The players need to know who is going to coach them especially if they have signed under Pay. Pay will be signed and good luck to him.
Pay hasn't been ground breaking. We were headed for the wooden spoon until Lewis and Martin came along. I think you're giving the credit to the wrong coach. Georgalis should get that credit if you really want to credit a coach for a players talent.