Nick Meaney

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't question his effort or heart. And he doesn't make many handling errors. But I also think he's had ample opportunity, hasn't improved or shown he's physically suited to being an NRL winger.

DWZ put his body on the line but his errors on our own line which lead to tries are unacceptable. Unfortunately we don't have FG standard wingers to take either one's place no matter how much Meaney or DWZ are struggling.
At least you explain yourself well. That’s all I’m saying I don’t question his heart. He’s not a 110kg islander than steamrolls over people

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The successful wingers in today's version of the game are getting bigger, stronger and are steamrollers who effectively run over the top, or around, or push off anybody who gets between them and the try line.

Last edited:

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He's had more than enough time. Massive cat and gets dominated in contact. Move him on.

drteeth

New Pup
Reaction score
Cotric's probably on the wing in defense as he is a better option for kick returns.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Nick Meaney is our current winger and former fullback.

I can’t help but think he might be our hidden diamond and criminally under-utilised.

he came up as an Australian rep. He has speed to burn (important now ) and he literally never makes any ball handlin mistakes.

look at how he is being used.
Centre in defence and wing in attack.

isn’t that a subconscious endorsement that he is a more reliable player than Cotric?
He’s more trusted in defence despite his size, yet doesn’t get the attacking opportunities that Cotric or others have given.

I genuinely think he’s another Papenhuyzen.
Remember how he was tossed around like a Ganga form the area before finding his feet at the storm? And becoming one of the comps most dangerous assets?
I think Meaney is headed down the same road.
A good coach who puts genuine faith in him might unearth a star.
Or he might fade.

he is the player that intrigues me most.

thoughts?
I think someone is really missing our former best player "Kerrod Holland".

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Thompson is actually elusive, Meaney is not. Meaney isn't getting offered a contract by us.
would have actually liked to see Cotric at right centre with Thompson outside him. Would be hard to handle those two if they received good ball

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I think someone is really missing our former best player "Kerrod Holland".
I was as critical as anyone about Holland, but I’ll tell you what.
We would not be in this predicament of saying we are short of depth in outline back skill if we could have persuaded him not to retire.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
another quality post from Nasheed
Papenhuyzen, just three years ago was unwanted.
We passed him over.
The tigers cut him.
The saints passed him over and a few others.

melb picked him up just for cheap depth.

now look at him!
Tell me what does pap have that Nick doesn’t? Besides attitude and positioning (thats taught).
Nick actually has more ingredients to be a star in his late teens.
Like Pap, he simply hasn’t been used right.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was as critical as anyone about Holland, but I’ll tell you what.
We would not be in this predicament of saying we are short of depth in outline back skill if we could have persuaded him not to retire.
I know.

Not having Holland this year has crippled us.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
What do you mean not used right? The coach isn't telling him to get ragdolled and curl up into a ball every time he runs it. He's not good enough. Plenty of players are schoolboys and it doesn't translate to the NRL. It's not like he hasn't been given a chance. This is his fourth year of FG and he still looks like a boy amongst men.
The coach is telling him to take first hit ups. Taht isn’t being used right.

Meaney is kind of a slinky snake covered in soapy water. Not a hit up merchant.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean not used right? The coach isn't telling him to get ragdolled and curl up into a ball every time he runs it. He's not good enough. Plenty of players are schoolboys and it doesn't translate to the NRL. It's not like he hasn't been given a chance. This is his fourth year of FG and he still looks like a boy amongst men.
I agree with Nasheed on this one, in the time he has been with us he has played in shit teams with no real play makers to guide us around and he has been shifted around positionally. When he played fullback for us he did a solid job & showed that he wasn't afraid to put his body on the line and was and still is safe under the high ball more so than DWZ, He has great speed & like Nasheed said I don't think we have seen the best of him yet, At the moment he is playing outside Cotrick an ex winger who tends to run infield all the time so Meaney doesn't get a chance to get the ball but still maintains his position in the line defensively unlike Dwz and then don't forget he is a fairly good goal kicker as well, I just feel it would be beneficial if they could bulk him up a little bit, but I feel his Best is yet to come if our forwards can start dominating the opposition.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney can effectively fcuk off! sick to death of these potential guys like Meaney and Atoni not stepping up to NRL level.... Can't wait for the end of the season to see the back of these bloke's.
I hate to disappoint you but you won't be seeing the back of Meaney next year, TBaz is trying to build a team based on speed and I think Meaney is part of his plan, Meaney can cover a range of positions and is a goal kicker as well, give the kid a chance to gel with this team and create combinations with Cotric I think we will all be pleasantly surprised.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know.

Not having Holland this year has crippled us.
Oh No, Not really we are going great guns, we lost to a depleted Newcastle team yesterday and we expecting to get flogged by Penrith next Saturday, only problem is we don't have many scape goats left.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m thinking we are actually missing Tolman a lot too.
I’d we signed him cheap on 200k. At the very least we could have traded him to Penrith for Burton.
It felt like we missed some reinforcement in the middle in defence and that’s why they sliced through us.