Nick Meaney

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Nick Meaney is our current winger and former fullback.

I can’t help but think he might be our hidden diamond and criminally under-utilised.

he came up as an Australian rep. He has speed to burn (important now ) and he literally never makes any ball handlin mistakes.

look at how he is being used.
Centre in defence and wing in attack.

isn’t that a subconscious endorsement that he is a more reliable player than Cotric?
He’s more trusted in defence despite his size, yet doesn’t get the attacking opportunities that Cotric or others have given.

I genuinely think he’s another Papenhuyzen.
Remember how he was tossed around like a Ganga form the area before finding his feet at the storm? And becoming one of the comps most dangerous assets?
I think Meaney is headed down the same road.
A good coach who puts genuine faith in him might unearth a star.
Or he might fade.

he is the player that intrigues me most.

thoughts?

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jury is still out. If he is as good as you think he could be and we know he is quick, I would have expected to have seen a lot more in attack and a good highlights reel of runaway trys by now.

If it's his defence that's his only real asset, then you may as well pick a bigger body who is not giving away anything in size.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's not in the same stratosphere as Papenhuysen. Meaney is too weak for FG. Makes negative metres on most runs with slow play the balls. He can't handle the physicality. He's not even elusive and doesn't have a step or a fend. He's fast in a straight line and is safe under the high ball but that's about it.

He's not FG standard and he's been lucky to play 50 odd FG games with us because there's been no one to take his spot.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
He's not in the same stratosphere as Papenhuysen. Meaney is too weak for FG. Makes negative metres on most runs with slow play the balls. He can't handle the physicality. He's not even elusive and doesn't have a step or a fend. He's fast in a straight line and is safe under the high ball but that's about it.

He's not FG standard and he's been lucky to play 50 odd FG games with us because there's been no one to take his spot.
It’s a crucial year for him.
He must have something if he made aussie schoolboys.
Maybe he’s not used right?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s a crucial year for him.
He must have something if he made aussie schoolboys.
Maybe he’s not used right?
What do you mean not used right? The coach isn't telling him to get ragdolled and curl up into a ball every time he runs it. He's not good enough. Plenty of players are schoolboys and it doesn't translate to the NRL. It's not like he hasn't been given a chance. This is his fourth year of FG and he still looks like a boy amongst men.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I think about him a lot.
Is it just attitude and mongrel!? I think that could be taught

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think fools gold. Looks great on the outside, but disappointing on the inside. Only positions that suits is FB, But is not FG Material

oldman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Allen had an absolute shocker of a game, however I’d give him another couple of runs at FB before considering to move him to the centre’s of wing.

If this was to occur Meaney has to move to fullback. He has a ton of potential which historically has been under-utilised.

Watching the game last night Meaney consistently took the the first or second hit up coming out of our 20 after they kicked. I agree, he is not the biggest back we have, but he has a big heart, something you can’t coach heart.

Meaney’s speed will be dynamic in broken play and over the previous years he has consistently shown the ability to back up the middle when he has played FB.

If you want to talk about disappointment from last night’s effort I’d be starting the conversation with Averillo. He looked pedestrian as best.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Allen had an absolute shocker of a game, however I’d give him another couple of runs at FB before considering to move him to the centre’s of wing.

If this was to occur Meaney has to move to fullback. He has a ton of potential which historically has been under-utilised.

Watching the game last night Meaney consistently took the the first or second hit up coming out of our 20 after they kicked. I agree, he is not the biggest back we have, but he has a big heart, something you can’t coach heart.

Meaney’s speed will be dynamic in broken play and over the previous years he has consistently shown the ability to back up the middle when he has played FB.

If you want to talk about disappointment from last night’s effort I’d be starting the conversation with Averillo. He looked pedestrian as best.
You say it and I think you talk sense, but everyone else says he has no heart like Tobey Maguire.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Meaney has the right attitude. But just hasn’t got the strength or power, deff has speed to burn but the opportunity’s for that are very seldom.!! More potential than we think .!!!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Meaney can effectively fcuk off! sick to death of these potential guys like Meaney and Atoni not stepping up to NRL level.... Can't wait for the end of the season to see the back of these bloke's.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
There’s not a harmful bone in Meaney’s body unfortunately.... evident yesterday when Averillo grubbered in a kick and Meaney didn’t dive to at least try and get a hand on among all the bodies, it came off his leg and Knights grounded it.
Time to move these guys on