Official Nick Cotric signs three year deal with the Bulldogs

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopefully the start of many more signings for the club. I'm feeling a sense of excitement about next season. The dark clouds are hopefully dispersing and the sun will start to shine again on our great club, i mean, we are due for it aren't we.

Anyho, welcome Slick Nick to the club!!

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got him: Bulldogs confirm star signing

Raiders winger Nick Cotric signs with Canterbury Bulldogs from 2021

Canterbury have confirmed the signing of star Canberra winger Nick Cotric as they finally flip open the lid on their multimillion-dollar war chest.

News Corp last week broke the news the Bulldogs had won the race for Cotric’s signature, and the club on Wednesday confirmed it had secured the 21-year-old on a three-year deal from next season.
With Trent Barrett set to be locked in as Canterbury’s next coach, the Bulldogs have welcomed Cotric’s signing after he agreed to join the Bulldogs last Friday on a $1.8 million, three-year deal.
With an estimated $3 million to spend following a club cleanout, the Bulldogs beat the Raiders in a bidding war to snare the NSW State of Origin star and claim the NRL big name that could kickstart the club’s turnaround.

Cotric was a key figure in Canberra’s run to the grand final last season and also represented New South Wales in game one of the Origin Series. In addition, he made his international debut for Australia in matches against New Zealand and Tonga at the end of 2019.
“Signing a player of Nick’s ability and class is a massive boost for our club moving forward and another step in strengthening our squad to lead us into the future,” Bulldogs chief executive Andrew Hill said on Wednesday.
“With Luke Thompson having joined us and Nick now bringing some great strikepower to our backline I am confident that we are constructing the quality of squad that can produce the results we are looking for in the coming seasons.”
Former Manly coach Barrett will succeed Dean Pay at Belmore, and will walk in with Cotric secured and England Test star Luke Thompson at the forefront of a Bulldogs rebuild.
Cotric knocked back a five-year deal from Canberra, and he is expected to make the switch from the wing to the centres in 2021.

The 21-year-old flyer made the tough decision to leave the Raiders in the wake of Canberra’s giant-killing win over the Roosters last weekend.

It is understood the chance to test himself both in a new position and with a new team played a role in his decision to leave at the end of the year.
With as many as nine spots available next year, the Bulldogs will continue what could be the club’s most important roster rebuild when Pay’s successor is officially appointed.
The club had been in the market for a hooker and an attacking back-rower but that could change depending on what the club’s next coach wants.
Interim coach Steve Georgallis has the massive task of steering the Bulldogs for the remainder of the year, and was at the helm when the Bulldogs went down in heartbreaking circumstances against the Dragons last Saturday.
“I am pretty laid back and casual in my approach,” Georgallis said.
“I am very big on my relationships with players and getting to know them and what makes them tick. I guess I am different but we would all be doing the same thing if we weren’t. I just want them to get back to enjoying it.
“The key things this week have been to look up in both attack and defence. To look up and play what is front. I want them to play football if it is there to play and for the fun to come back into it for them.”
Georgallis said he had not made any significant changes to the Bulldogs playing structure.
“You can’t change too much when it comes to structures,” Georgallis said.
“It is pretty well in grained but as we move forward I can make a few adjustments. But with the short week it is impossible to make significant adjustments.”
If Nick looked up when he fielded the ball on the right side in his 20 (in the 2nd half) he could have kicked it down field and out run the defence to score.

I had a birds eye view in the western stand and as long as it was a half decent kick no one would have got near him.

That is just confidence and the sooner he realises he can pull off these types of plays the sooner he will establish himself as our long term fullback.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need one of these: Brandon Smith/Harry Grant/Ben Hunt/Cameron McInnes/Daryl Clark
I like Hunt, but he seems to have concentration lapses or someshit. On the weekend he threw a pass to Fuimaono (who had his hands down, decoy runner) on the 5th tackle. wth???

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Love this signing.

At 21 he’s won Rookie of The Year, represented NSW & Australia and was unlucky not to have won a GF last year. Pretty impressive rap sheet for a player his age.

Onwards and upwards from here on hopefully.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Potential backline next season:

1. Hoppa
2. DWZ
3. Cotric
4. Bird*
5. Smith
6. Averillo
7. Foran*

Others: Meaney, Lafai*, Okunbor, Burton*, ...
* - not signed for next year

It's a gun backline if they pull it off. The obvious negative is Foran and Bird are injury prone but would be on significantly less $$$. No noted long kicking game (i dont think Averillo has one?). Without Meaney, Averillo kicks goals though. Hoppa isn't a running threat but he has a great passing game and would be more dangerous surrounded by quality outside backs.
Why do people want bird ?

Is it the million dollar contract he’s on that says he can play? The 17 games he’s actually played in 3 seasons ? The two ACL’s he’s done ? The rheumatoid arthritis he has that makes his body way older then it is? Or are we so impressed with Forans injury history that we want someone that plays less games?

Getting Bird shouldn’t be an option. I’d rather promote a junior

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
We need one of these: Brandon Smith/Harry Grant/Ben Hunt/Cameron McInnes/Daryl Clark
Out of all of them I reckon McInness would be the most realistic to get.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Questionable signing for the $$$ we are paying... He struggled big time in Origin and is un proven at centre.