News Nick Cotric’s amazing play that helped break Canterbury’s losing streak

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL 2021: Nick Cotric’s amazing play that helped break Canterbury’s losing streak

Star signing Nick Cotric epitomised the desperation the Bulldogs had to end their losing start to the season with his amazing effort in the dramatic dying stages of their match against Cronulla.

Nick CamptonNick Campton
Follow
@campo37

2 min read
April 30, 2021 - 3:35PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

It’s the madcap minute that typifies just how desperate Canterbury were to end their losing start to the season.
The Bulldogs dug deep to snag an 18-12 win over the Sharks last week and earn Trent Barrett his first win with the club. Nick Cotric’s efforts in the dying seconds showed just how badly the blue and whites wanted to break their duck.

Cotric made the final three tackles of the match, first on the right wing before he followed the play all the way to the other side of the field for back-to-back stops of Jesse Ramien and Braydon Trindall that helped keep the Sharks at bay.

“I just saw the ball coming across and I wanted them to stop offloading, I really wanted to win,” Cotric said. “It was the competitiveness in me, instinct took over. I wasn’t thinking too much, I just wanted to stop the ball.

“We were talking at training to never look at you next job, you just keep moving.

Nick Cotric was involved in the last three tackles of the match against Cronulla. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty Images

Nick Cotric was involved in the last three tackles of the match against Cronulla. Picture: Jason McCawley/Getty Images

That was a focus at training, we work on pushing through, even if that means covering a break on the other side. Baz is really big on that, covering as many metres as you can.

Even in their darkest hours this season Barrett has always maintained his side was putting in maximum effort, and Cotric’s late heroics weren’t the only effort plays that made the difference.

The marquee recruit did the same thing in the first half as part of a movement to deny Sharks winger Mawene Hiroti a shot at the line, one of several last gasp efforts that kept Cronulla at bay.

“We need to bring effort and intent and start the game as well as we can. The intent needs to be run hard and just do the simple stuff — run hard and tackle hard.”

Cotric’s effort was highlight by the coaching staff during the week and if the Bulldogs are to be any chance of upsetting Parramatta they will have to show just as much fight.

Nick Cotric (top), Corey Allan (left) and Nick Meaney scrambled to stop Brayden Trindall’s late charge for victory.

Nick Cotric (top), Corey Allan (left) and Nick Meaney scrambled to stop Brayden Trindall’s late charge for victory.

“We’ve seen that clip a few times in video this week. You can see watching that how much it means to us,” backrower Corey Waddell said.

“We’re all scrapping for each other and scrambling. We want to win games and that’s what we’re here to do.

“We kept turning up for each other and that’s what we’re all about, that ‘Dogs of War’ mentality and we’re happy to bring that again this week against Parramatta.”

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I noticed his firat half effort to defend one side of the field, and then push all the way to the other side to defend the next tackle. But it took a post from someone on here to see his secend effort in the last play. Well done cotric.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed his firat half effort to defend one side of the field, and then push all the way to the other side to defend the next tackle. But it took a post from someone on here to see his secend effort in the last play. Well done cotric.
I thought he showed real desperation in his efforts like it was backs against the wall stuff.
We need all the boys to play with that same intensity for an entire 80 minutes
Napa better be on song again this afternoon & put in a decent effort

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Am i the only one that noticed he was offside or is it because off massively biased blind sighted opinion.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cotric hasn't had the best start to the season which is understandable as an outside back joining a new, struggling team.. But his effort against Cronulla in attack and defence was great and it's the hustle plays like this which will make him a fan favourite and help him find his confidence and form is no time..

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I thought he showed real desperation in his efforts like it was backs against the wall stuff.
We need all the boys to play with that same intensity for an entire 80 minutes
Napa better be on song again this afternoon & put in a decent effort
Exactly right. Im hopeful that we have turned a corner of sorts.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am i the only one that noticed he was offside or is it because off massively biased blind sighted opinion.
Mate nothing wrong with being biased towards our great club
I’m already thinking along those lines before heading out to the game this afternoon

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly right. Im hopeful that we have turned a corner of sorts.
Our momentum and desperation needs to roll on today if were any chance of creating an upset.
We need to be on point regarding discipline,not let the referee rule the game or give reasons to fricken blow that stupid whistle all day.
Too many back to back against us will give us no chance
Anyway I’m actually confident