New NRL Contract Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Players will be given a maximum 10 day “cooling off period” for any contract they sign under a new rule proposed by the NRL.

Head of Football, Todd Greenberg said the current rule, that was introduced to allow clubs until round 13 to retain players who have signed with a rival club, will be scrapped.

Instead, a contract signed with a rival club will be registered once a 10 business day cooling off period expires.

Mr Greenberg said fans and clubs were frustrated with the “round 13” rule because it can create uncertainty and speculation for a long time after a contract has been signed.

“I think everyone agrees it is unseemly to have months of speculation about whether a player is going to a rival club,” he said.

“Our view is a 10 day cooling off period is an acceptable solution for all involved.”

The introduction of the new rule is subject to further consultation and approval from the Rugby League Players Association.

If approved, it will stipulate that:

• A player may sign an extension of his contract with his existing club at any time
  • A player may sign with a new club only during the final year of his contract
  • A 10 business day cooling off period will apply to all contracts
  • A club signing a player is prohibited from making an announcement until the cooling off period has expired

Mr Greenberg stressed that the proposed new rule will be an interim measure pending the outcome of Shane Richardson’s “whole of game” review.

Source:
http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2015/06/02/nrl_contract_rule.html

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It's not right. People will still be signing mid season. Leave it until after the GF ffs.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It's not right. People will still be signing mid season. Leave it until after the GF ffs.
Leave what until after the GF? Players can only sign for a new club in their final contract year

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
*bangs head against wall*

Let's fix a problem with contracts "BY MAKING IT EVEN WORSE"!!!!

F me sideways.. you'd swear blind these dickheads are being paid by a rival comp to kill the game.

So now instead of allowing a club till Round 13 to win back the contract of a star player, the player only has 10 days before they can sign elsewhere.

• A player may sign an extension of his contract with his existing club at any time
• A player may sign with a new club only during the final year of his contract
• A 10 business day cooling off period will apply to all contracts
• A club signing a player is prohibited from making an announcement until the cooling off period has expired
Okay, so let me get this straight. Let's use Mbye and say his contract expires the end of 2016.
#1 - Means the only club he can sign with - is the Bulldogs, unless the club release him ??
#2 - Means that next year at any time, a new club can sign him. Lets say Manly make him an offer and he agrees to join them. It is Round 2.
#3 - Manly assume Mbye is theirs and Bulldogs no longer have the ability to pitch a better offer before Round 13, instead they must make an offer within 10 days. Mbye decides to ditch Manly and take up Bulldogs offer but has to wait 10 business days before it is registered.
#4 - Only after those 10 days can Bulldogs announce he has officially signed with them.

This is dumb ... frigging dumb.

Bring in an anti tampering and be done with it.

Allowing a team to be disrupted now as early as Round 1 in the final season of a player is just stupid as hell.

chrise186

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
*bangs head against wall*

Let's fix a problem with contracts "BY MAKING IT EVEN WORSE"!!!!

F me sideways.. you'd swear blind these dickheads are being paid by a rival comp to kill the game.

So now instead of allowing a club till Round 13 to win back the contract of a star player, the player only has 10 days before they can sign elsewhere.

Okay, so let me get this straight. Let's use Mbye and say his contract expires the end of 2016.
#1 - Means the only club he can sign with - is the Bulldogs, unless the club release him ??
#2 - Means that next year at any time, a new club can sign him. Lets say Manly make him an offer and he agrees to join them. It is Round 2.
#3 - Manly assume Mbye is theirs and Bulldogs no longer have the ability to pitch a better offer before Round 13, instead they must make an offer within 10 days. Mbye decides to ditch Manly and take up Bulldogs offer but has to wait 10 business days before it is registered.
#4 - Only after those 10 days can Bulldogs announce he has officially signed with them.

This is dumb ... frigging dumb.

Bring in an anti tampering and be done with it.

Allowing a team to be disrupted now as early as Round 1 in the final season of a player is just stupid as hell.
Sorry mate have to disagree.
A cooling off period is a pretty fair solution and only way it would really pass the players association in my opinion anyway. I suppose if they backflip on signing with a different club within 10 days they can only sign for their current club or something like that would be a good addition to thia

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Well it stops the whole DCE saga, and things dragging on and on and on until after Round 13 for official confirmation.

But it doesn't address the core issue people have with these mid season signings, and that is the impact it has on team dynamic and team mates when they get told a few games into the season that the player has signed elsewhere for more money.

Then the club that they are currently with has to put up with average performances by the player, because there is no incentive to fire up and/or injure themselves, nor any impact to dropping them.

If DCE and Foran are elsewhere next year, do they REALLY give a shit about trying to drag Manly off the bottom of the comp?

I doubt it.

Even better. Once the contract is signed no cooling off period. It's signed done and dusted
This .. OR "If you re-nig on this contract you sit the sport out for that contracted period".

Or if that is too harsh "you can only sign with a club for less than your agreed contracted offer".

Keep in mind this is only a "Up to" 10 day cooling off period. Back it in the NRL will always give a player a day or two instead.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great idea I believe, less power to managers to manipulate and there will still be a hundred get out clauses in contracts.. Def better than the rubbish we have before us..

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Even better. Once the contract is signed no cooling off period. It's signed done and dusted
I don't want to cheer for a player for 6 months when I know next season he will be playing for the Dragons or Roosters.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This sounds like a great idea.

I can't see any negatives to it to be honest.

@MrI: I'm struggling to understand your argument on why it's a REALLY bad idea.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why are people complaining? This is much better.

What are the chances of a player reneging before 10 days? Even yet, now clubs are more likely to announce a signing after that cooling off period has finished.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't want to cheer for a player for 6 months when I know next season he will be playing for the Dragons or Roosters.
What was changed has nothing to do with that aspect. Which definitely needs to be fixed.

What has been done is, players are now no longer allowed to back out of a contract before that round 13 deadline. This might actually stop players signing so early cause they have to think twice now.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anything is better than what they have now. Of course it will mean that clubs can still approach players in the final year (only) of their contract but the speculation as to will he or won't he sign will be reduced to ten days and there wil be nothing like the Daly Cherry Evans catastrophe. Of course the club doing the signing cannot announce it until the cooling off period is complete; this was not fully explained but I guess that if they break this stipulation they will be punished in some way.
Managers will still talk to clubs as they do now but nothing legally binding can be put in place unless it falls under the new guidelines. Not a 100% satisfactory arrangement but what can you do.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
What was changed has nothing to do with that aspect. Which definitely needs to be fixed.

What has been done is, players are now no longer allowed to back out of a contract before that round 13 deadline. This might actually stop players signing so early cause they have to think twice now.
I could care less about the round 13 thing or the 10 day cooling off period. I just don't want mid season signings period.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I could care less about the round 13 thing or the 10 day cooling off period. I just don't want mid season signings period.
Well that's what this thread is about.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does the club get a cooling off period?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Does the club get a cooling off period?
no cooling off for anybody ffs, ok maybe a special clause for players if the coach at their club is caught having sex with the players wife, id allow a 10 day cooling off period for the coach to say sorry etc and make things right, but other than that the deal should be a deal immediately upon the signature

Status
Not open for further replies.