Netball - 15mill Sponsor situation

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
They were grandstanding. And it backfired big time

Don't know that NA could have done. They couldn't stand them down, or NA would have been sued for racial discrimination etc.
I don't know if there was really that much with NA or the players. All I can see is that there was some discussion about not wearing the sponsor logo, then the mining company pulling their support and hinting that it was mainly due to the media. They did throw in the "politics" and "virtue signalling" as well, but anything the players did or said seems to be stricken from the reports.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
The Bulldogs would have had to pull my sponsorship as in my yearly membership of the Bulldogs because some of the things my father has said about them when we had a bad loss man that would have had happen years ago no apology or distancing would have sufficed.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Anti-wokers on the pride jersey: DeFenD fReEdUmB
Anti-wokers on the Hancock/ Rhinehart jersey: Be PrOfeSsIoNaL. WeAr ThE uNiFoRm!!!

Netball Australia messed this up, to be honest. Netballers sacrificed money and gave up work (yes, most of them do study or work) to keep the game afloat during the pandemic, the least NA could have done was consult them on a deal which was always likely to cause controversy.

Hancock's comments were disgraceful. It's not like he just made a throwaway comment. The man actually advocated for involuntary sterilisation of Indigenous people, and the company still bares his name and celebrates his legacy. So far as I know, Rhinehart has never publicly denounced or distanced the company from those vile comments. She doesn't have any obligation to do so, but the players are also well within their rights to say, yeah, nah and opt to not wear the uniform.

Yes, the decision might cost them money, but it's presumptuous to assume they didn't consider this possibility when making their decision. It's not like a lot of that sponsorship money would have gone into their pockets anyway. They aren't paid a lot compared to most pro sportspeople. I think they earn around $30,000 a year from international netball on average (if they play every game), and the bulk of their money comes from super netball.

Maybe the sky will fall and netball will collapse entirely as a result of this decision, but I think it's unlikely. NA has many other sponsors, most of which have already reaffirmed their commitment, despite reports suggesting they might follow Rhinehart's lead and pull out of deals. Other companies will probably see the potential for the good PR that comes with offering the game a lifeline and step in to fill the breach.

If NA had pre-empted this, they could have avoided all this negative PR, and that probably would have made the task of finding other sponsors much easier. Some people act as though the players are beholden to NA, but the reverse is also true - without players, they don't have a product. These netballers are grown adults. They are perfectly capable of making their own decisions and don't need keyboard warriors or dinosaurs like Sam Newman pointing out the possible consequences of their actions.

Last edited:

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
SMH..I didn’t say she had to apologise..she should not have to.. All I’m saying if your company is accused of racism..which it is.. A statement, ‘we aren’t’ than per my other post NA take over.. But she doesn’t have to do anything..just my suggestion how to perhaps fix the situation..
I would say she doesn't want to dignify the accusations with a response, and nor should she. Its not her responsibility to "fix" the situation that NA created.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I would say she doesn't want to dignify the accusations with a response, and nor should she. Its not her responsibility to "fix" the situation that NA created.
All a bit of a shitstorm.. And NA should of did this in house before it all came out..

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Good…..Couldn’t have happened to a better sport.

I know way too many bitches in that sport who think they are good at everything (not true at all)
I played netty in high school. The culture in the men's game is actually quite welcoming.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We played netball in high school for a bit. Mainly because our mate's place was next to the courts. So we went to netball, immediately forfeit due to lack of players, then went to his house to inhale some green stuff.